Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-30-2020

Germany

2 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 2

P53 - Weird BD-Prochot throttling issue

2020-11-30, 12:02 PM

I have a strange issue with the beahviour of my P53 20QN under load.

I sometimes use the machine for some gaming and most of the games lag terribly when loading new areas. Also using video communication software while having the machine under heavy load (compiling etc.) sometimes causes stuttering and audio dropouts. I have had this issues since about half a year ago but needed the machine so that i could not give it away for diagnosis and repair.

To diagnose the problem i tried running gpuz and throttlestop while running some games and putting the machine through benchmarks.

Whenever the lag happens the cpu and gpu throttle down to their minimum baseclock and the BD PROCHOT flag shows up in throttlestop with the cpu being at about 90 degrees and the gpu being at about 80 degrees. Also the throttling seems to be more present when the system is doing something on the second nvme SSD (Crucial P1 1TB) I installed. I have not had the time to remove the Crucial to see if it is overheating or garbage from one of its sensors causing the machine to go into emergency mode(will do it in the next days).

I did driver reinstalls with a lot of different versions and even tried undervolting and TPFancontrol but the issue persisted.

The infamous P53 lap-mode-throttling is of course disabled with the registry hack from the forum.

Has anyone of you ever experienced something similar with the sadly problem affected P53 line and maybe has a fix for it?

My machine:

P53 20QN

i7 9750h

Nvidia Quadro T2000

16GB Memory

512 GB Intel SSD

1TB Crucial P1

BIOS version 1.22

Windows 10 1909

Options

2 Posts

11-30-2020

Germany

2 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:P53 - Weird BD-Prochot throttling issue

2020-12-16, 10:51 AM

I fixed it, something with the Lenovo power management or thermal drivers was messed up.

After a bit of testing with linux i found out that the machine was running fine under ubuntu. Using the more data option in throttlestop revealed that cpu power spiked up to 90 watts and instant 100* when the cpu was hitted with a spontanous heavy load like loading a new area or starting a compile job. Under normal circumstances the thermal system can handle this but when the gpu is also working the thermal protection from the voltage regulators (BDPROCHOT) or the cpu kicks in. The crucial ssd caused more problems because drive compression was enabled on it.

A clean install of all thermal and power related stuff made the problem go away. The CPU is now pinned at 30 - 45 watts when the GPU is working and about 60 watts with some boost spikes when working alone.

To improve the result further i tried an undervolt of about -75mV on cpu and cache and reduced the turbo limits a bit to make the machine run more quiet when using video conferencing software and increase longevity. The machine is running a lot quieter and cooler than ever before and has not caused any problems in the last 10 days even when i forgot to turn off a vm doing updates during playing Red Dead Redemption in the evening, hitting CPU and GPU with almost 100% load.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms