English Community

IntroductionWelcome & FAQs Knowledge Base

Should I reveal serial numbers of my computer and parts in online posts?

Question

Should I mask out the serial number (s) on photographs of my computer parts when posting the images online?

Answer

While model and type numbers are asked for in this forum in order for the community to help with queries, it is never a good idea to post a serial number of any product online.

Serial numbers are needed, such as in the case of checking or modifying your system's warranty status.

It is highly recommended that serial numbers are masked out if you upload pics of the bottom of the system or screen shots from BIOS, and it is advised that they not be included as text in public posts.  Serial numbers can be included in private messages.

Model type and serial numbers of systems that are still in warranty could be mis-appropriated by readers in the forum and used to fraudulently order parts / file warranty claims.

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

Haritha On 2014-03-05, 17:02 PM

HI...

PCI SERIAL PORT  COMMUNICATION -PC VIRUAL COM PORT2 SERIAL DEVICE IS NOT INSTALLED...?

IT IS SHOWING UNKNOWN DEVICES ...?

HOW CAN I INSTALL.....IM USING LENOVO G500 

MODEL NAME:20236..S/N NO:CB24893687...

HELP ME....?

NateS On 2014-09-07, 4:47 AM
Luci77 On 2017-01-20, 21:13 PM

I'm trying to find where to post a message ! I need to do a hardware scan, but it won't load. Get an error code. Nothing helps-worst help site ever.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop