Options

1289 Posts

08-03-2011

GB

11837 Signins

299504 Page Views

• Views: 299504
  • Message 1 of 3

Results of Poll on the features you first look out for in making a laptop purchase

2012-10-29, 9:09 AM

poll results.jpg

Hi everyone

Thanks to all who participated in our poll on the features that weigh first and foremost on your mind when making a decision about a new system that you intend to purchase.

As seen above, most people place a lot of emphasis on the display quality and resolution; we also had some users add comments about the inclusion of the Trackpoint, as well as keyboard design (which are not on the list above).

What are your thoughts about the results? Do you agree or disagree with the views? What resolution choices are you looking at? Or types of screens? What about battery life? 

Appreciate a friendly discussion here. :)

-serene

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

3379 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12381 Signins

178405 Page Views

• Views: 178405
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Results of Poll on the features you first look out for in making a laptop purchase

2012-11-02, 15:44 PM

wrote:

What resolution choices are you looking at? Or types of screens? 

While I'd like to see higher resolutions too, panel technology/quality is a more important issue. Every ThinkPad should be available with an IPS (FlexView) or better option.

It seems to me that these days ThinkPad usage has become divided and thus the need for better user interfaces (screen, keyboard and pointing device(s)) has become divided along these lines:

1. Desktop replacement as the primary use. This usage is characterized by external monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. In this usage the built-in interfaces may not be very important and, understandably, buyers may not want to pay extra for them.

2. Portable computing. Here the built-in interfaces are all that the user has most if not all the time. In this case the buyer may well be willing to pay a premium for the best quality possible in these aspects.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

3852 Posts

12-02-2007

US

9039 Signins

189438 Page Views

• Views: 189438
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Results of Poll on the features you first look out for in making a laptop purchase

2012-11-04, 10:30 AM

Hello,

I really have to wonder if comments or complaints about increases in cost due to "better" (higher-resolution/higher-quality) LCD panels from coporate buyers are something of a hobgoblin (e.g., an imaginary monster which doesn't exist).  While it does seem like it is one that may be the most easy to economize in, I have the feeling that using better LCD panels would not have much of a measurable impact in net sales.  I think of ThinkPad line as a premium brand (think BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche in the car space, or Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer in the watch space) and expect it to use suitable materials for its construction.  Linus Torvalds recently expressed that WQXGA should be the starting resolution for laptop screens, and I cannot say that I am in disagreement with that.  Speaking of cars, shouldn't opening and closing the hinges conceptually feel the same as doing so to the door of a luxury car?

I also have an issue with the focus on decreasing the weight; while I understand it sounds good in marketing, and there's a big difference between carrying a 6.5lb and a 2.2lb laptop, I think once you get below a certain weight (maybe 3.6lb's or so) I think the drawbacks from using thinner plastics and replacing the Mg alloy roll cages with CFRP begin to take affect. 

Anyhow, just my $0.02.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete