cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,399

This article discusses what to do if you want to or need to do more than a simple refresh with System Restore.

Perhaps you need to take your Windows 10 device back to the condition that the operating system was in when it arrived from the factory.

When using Recovery there are several options to consider other than System Restore:

I suggest not bothering to use a recovery drive if you created one when your computer was new because it won't have updates on it. Furthermore, if by any chance it has become corrupt, you may end up with problems.

Before beginning be sure to have backups of your files - always a good habit to get into when the computer is in working order. Whether you decide to keep your files or not, having backups is handy just in case something in the reinstall process does not work as planned.

Using a working computer download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from HERE.
Pay attention to the prerequisites listed on that page.
(If your device is encrypted, you will need your BitLocker key to reset your computer.)

Please follow the steps listed:

1. Connect the installation media you created to your PC.

2. Open File Explorer to select the drive with the installation media.
3. From the root directory of the drive, double-click setup.exe
4. Select Yes when asked if you’d like to allow the app to make changes to your device.
5. Select Change what to keep.
Select one of the following options, and then select Next:
Keep personal files and apps – This will preserve your personal data, apps, and settings.
Keep personal files only – This will preserve your personal data and settings, but all your apps will be removed.
Keep nothing – This will remove all personal data, settings, and apps. (You should choose this option if you are planning to donate, recycle or sell your computer. It will completely wipe your data.)

6. To finish, select Install to start reinstalling Windows 10 on your PC.
*The process can take 40 minutes or more. Your PC will restart several times during the reinstallation.

*Update September 24, 2019:
The latest version of Windows 10 includes an option to select a cloud download for resetting Windows.
This option will connect to Windows Update over your current network connection instead of reusing the existing Windows files to construct a fresh copy. This can be a more reliable way to reinstall Windows and may take much less time than downloading to a USB stick and installing from that.
Read more here:
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/articles/optimize-windows-10-pc-reset-using-the-cloud/

If you have any problems along the way, or reinstallation fails please post on Lenovo Forums and/or use the Windows 10 Feedback Hub to report details of your problem.

Source:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Was this information helpful?

Comments
berryjohnson

I got my data back and after resting the windows 10 my system is working fine.

Contributors