Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 10
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

03-09-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

209 Page Views

• Views: 209
  • Message 1 of 7

Backup Lenovo PC Running Windows 10

2019-05-28, 14:31 PM

I have several Lenovo PCs that I'd like to backup using our Unitrends Backup Solution. I've run into a problem where Unitrends can't run a full backup of the PC due to the extra partitions that Lenovo puts on the PC. For example, the PC I'm on right now has two additional partitions other than the OS partition. This screenshot points out the two partitions that are causing an issue.

Unitrends has permission issues with both partitions and can't backup partitions formatted as EFI. I don't have an issue with the partitions existing, but I do want to backup these PCs. Unitrends can exclude things from backups. However, neither of these partitions have drive letters and I can't assign them drive letters in Disk Management. Without a drive letter, I'm not sure how Unitrends could exclude them. Honestly, I wouldn't want to assign them a drive letter anyway because this would just confuse my users. Disk Management also doesn't allow me to assign permissions. If I can get Unitrends to backup these partitions, I might also run into an issue of having enough space for the VSS snapshot. We can cross that bridge if it happens, just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had come across this issue in conjunction with these partitions. Wrapping up, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

NicCrockett

Nick Crockett
CIO / Systems Administrator / DBA / Webmaster
Answer
Options

7 Posts

03-09-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

209 Page Views

Re:Backup Lenovo PC Running Windows 10

2019-08-01, 20:43 PM

Sorry for the absence, but things have been extremely hectic! The life of a SysAdmin is never easy. I thank all of you that tried to help me with this issue, your time and energy was greatly appreciated! I realize you are loyal to Lenovo and I understand that. However, I talked with a Lenovo rep, in person, about this issue and they were going to have someone contact me and they didn't. I also called support the other day about another issue and was treated with complete disrespect. At this point, I don't have a reason to continue buying Lenovo. Sorry, I tried to support a local company and it backfired. Live and learn.

Sincerely,

Nick Crockett

Replies(6)
Options

7 Posts

03-09-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Backup Lenovo PC Running Windows 10

2019-05-31, 16:46 PM
Does anyone out there have any ideas or is this problem too complex? Does anyone from Lenovo monitor the posts in this forum and respond? I'd love to hear theirs or anyone's opinion on this issue.

Thanks,
Nick Crockett
Options

9569 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78264 Signins

2253270 Page Views

• Views: 2253270
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-05-31, 23:06 PM

Hi,

I'm not much of an authority on backup solutions in general, but a bit more detail might help.

What kind of backup are you trying to make?  Are you really just capturing user data, or is it intended that  these backups could do a full restore to a blank new drive - for instance?  If the latter, you'll need those "extra" partitions.

My only experience is with Acronis, which can back up all my Win 10 partitions - on my whitebox desktop and my Lenovo laptops.  I wonder if your backup tool just isn't suited to this particular task?

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

7 Posts

03-09-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-06-03, 13:24 PM
Good questions zoltanthegypsy. In my case, I'm trying to backup the entire drive for two reasons.

1. In case I need to restore the entire hard drive to a new one. This would be used if the current hard drive died.

2. The other reason is to have an entire backup of the hard drive to restore to the current hard drive. I want this ability due to the feature updates for Windows 10 and Microsoft's ability to screw them up. I want to install the feature update and if something goes wrong, restore it before the update was installed. Admin's insurance in other words.

Hope that helps clarify my needs and thanks for responding!

Sincerely,
Nick Crockett
Options

4481 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9199 Signins

202483 Page Views

• Views: 202483
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-06-07, 11:13 AM

Hello,

I am not familiar with Unitrends backup offering, but it sounds like it is doing a file-based backup from within the operating system, , and not imaging the disk's partitions, which is how partitions that are not readable via the currently-running operating system are usually copied.

Have you verified with Unitrends that the version and configuration of the software you have licensed from them has the ability to backup EFI system partitions and factory recovery partitions with no drive letter assigned to them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

9569 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78264 Signins

2253270 Page Views

• Views: 2253270
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-06-10, 13:25 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Answer
Options

7 Posts

03-09-2017

United States of America

13 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

Re:Backup Lenovo PC Running Windows 10

2019-08-01, 20:43 PM

Sorry for the absence, but things have been extremely hectic! The life of a SysAdmin is never easy. I thank all of you that tried to help me with this issue, your time and energy was greatly appreciated! I realize you are loyal to Lenovo and I understand that. However, I talked with a Lenovo rep, in person, about this issue and they were going to have someone contact me and they didn't. I also called support the other day about another issue and was treated with complete disrespect. At this point, I don't have a reason to continue buying Lenovo. Sorry, I tried to support a local company and it backfired. Live and learn.

Sincerely,

Nick Crockett

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms