cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sathapalani
Paper Tape
Views: 7,109
Message 1 of 5

Forgot windows 10 password - how do i reinstall?

Hi,

I just bought a thinkpad before christmas and seem to have forgotten my password. I have not begain moving files or anything from my old computer so the mchine is pretty much the way it was when it got delivered. I have been looking around the internet and it looks like the only way option i have is to re-install windows. I dont have a microsoft accout and my password is local.

My question is:

1- since my computer came preinstalled with wondows 10, where do i get a copy of the software to reinstall?

2- How would i actually go about doing it?

3 - once i install, willi be pompted for a product key and if so where do i get one from? I am assuming lenovo

thank you all for the help

satha 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,944
Message 2 of 5

Re: Forgot windows 10 password - how do i reinstall?

If it came preinstalled, the key is in the BIOS.  You can download from Microsoft and install.  It will activate automatically.

You will need a USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chondrulob
What's DOS?
Views: 6,900
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for help, I will be know
A lof of laugh
Jcaklly
Paper Tape
Views: 4,399
Message 4 of 5

@ricfhk wrote:

If it came preinstalled, the key is in the BIOS.  You can download from Microsoft and install.  It will activate automatically.

You will need a USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/resst-windows-10/

how can access to my BIOS so that i can boot from USB stick?  

Highlighted
Famkera
What's DOS?
Views: 93
Message 5 of 5

@sathapalani wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a thinkpad before christmas and seem to have forgotten my password. I have not begain moving files or anything from my old computer so the mchine is pretty much the way it was when it got delivered. I have been looking around the internet and it looks like the only way option i have is to re-install windows. I dont have a microsoft accout and my password is local.

My question is:

1- since my computer came preinstalled with wondows 10, where do i get a copy of the software to reinstall?

2- How would i actually go about doing it?

3 - once i install, willi be pompted for a product key and if so where do i get one from? I am assuming lenovo

thank you all for the help

satha 

You don't seem to know much about installing Windows 10 , why not boot your Windows computer for removing the password , all you need is a bootable disk ,It will be easier for you.