Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Views: 1664
  • Message 1 of 7

I Just Installed the Windows 10 Creators Update Build 15063 and ...

2017-03-27, 3:04 AM

I was given an opportunity to do a clean install and test the final release version (not an Insider build). This update will be delivered via Windows Update in early April; however, the release date for an ISO has not yet been announced. Now, although I have not done any extensive testing, I thought I would give you some initial feedback:

The clean install of Windows 10 Home version went very well.

It now includes a pleasant female voice that will walk you through the process.

Note; They still don't allow you to select the time zone.

The installation footprint is somewhat smaller than previous versions.

The installer found all my drivers so I didn't have to download any drivers from Lenovo.

The Event Viewer was remarkably clean - 0 notices for me.

I did not notice any marked improvements in the area of perfomance but my rig was already fast.

Unfortunately, it seems most of the enhancements are geared toward social media and apps so you will have to test them yourself but the basic functionality works just fine.

Cheers,

newlaptop

Solved! See the solution
Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: I Just Installed the Windows 10 Creators Update Build 15063 and ...

2017-03-27, 20:18 PM

I just discovered a problem with the Conexant Audio driver v8.66.29.63. This problem is specifically related to the driver itself and has nothing to do with what windows version you are running and it needs to be fixed by Lenovo to avoid getting unwanted warnings in the Event viewer. Here is the problem with the driver;

Notice the Conexant Smart Audio Service is set to start automatically but it is not shown as running and the executable cannot be found if one attempts to start it manually:

Now, since that service offers nothing spectacular for my purposes, here's what I did to fix the problem:

I uninstalled the driver and software.

Windows then installed a generic HD audio driver.

I then blocked Windows Update from checking for new version of only that specific driver.

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

FYI, a different version of the Conexant driver has also been reported to have the same issues: Thinkpad Yoga 12 : conexant audio driver issue on w10

IMHO, Lenovo really needs to get this straightened out with Conexant.

Cheers,

newlaptop

Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-03-27, 23:06 PM

I previously reported that I didn't notice any performance improvements; however, after finishing all my standad tweaks, I am now booting from a cold start to the desktop view in an amazing 7 to 8 seconds (not exaggerated). However, I do have fast start enabled. Now, this shaved about 3 seconds off my best previous boot time. It is really nothing to write home about but I never thought I would see a low cost laptop boot that fast!

Now, please understand that the boot process continues even after the desktop is visible, and since the total boot time is no longer recorded in the Diagnostic Performance area, I had to resort to using a utility to find out what my total boot time reaaly is/was.

So, I downloaded this utility to find out:

Measure Windows Boot Time

I chose this utility because it doesn't have to be installed. Just run it as needed. Unfortunately, this utility only measures total boot time on a restart basis. And, since a restart is similar to a cold boot "without" fast boot enabled, the time shown may actually be about 3 seconds slower than a cold boot "with" fast boot enabled.

Now, if I do my math correctly, my total boot time from a cold boot "with" fast boot enabled should be about 17.671 seconds.

All testing was conducted on my Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ISK model: 80UD0017US with the following specs:

I3-6100U processor

4 GBs ram

Samsung 840 EVO SSD (upgrade)

So, "what's in your wallet?"

Cheers,

newlaptop

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2017-03-28, 16:21 PM

Well folks, I just installed the Win10 Pro 15063 on my destop with pretty much the same results as described above for my laptop install; however, I am now getting 3 consistent notices in the event viewer that I believe are associated with services that are currently unavailable but may be come available "after" the final release date in early Arpril:

Id 37 appears to be an unidentifed app registration problem

(Note CCleaner shows an app without any description so that may be it)

ID 7000 makes refrence to a Cloud Filter Service not starting because it is unsupported

(Note: I completely uninstalled One Drive but I cannot make that connection yet)

ID 360 makes reference to a "Hello for Business" function and states it has not been tested

Now, the funny thing is that these 3 notices are now appearing on my 15063 laptop as well. (Not sure why they didn't show up right after the initial install)

Fortunately, I see no side effects resulting from these notices.

I have a funny feeling they will go away "after" the final release date but we wll see; eh?

Cheers,

newlaptop

Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-03-28, 19:46 PM

Since I am not really a social media or apps person. I decided to uninstall all the apps I didn't want/need; however, they periodically keep coming back. Now, it was my understanding that this new 15063 version would honor any deletions and remember the deleted status; however, it doesn't do it by default... even if you have a metered connection. So, I found an option that needs to be set as follows:

Open the Windows Store

Click on the drop down men at the top

Select Settings:

Cheers,

newlaptop

Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Views: 1672
  • Message 6 of 7

2017-05-17, 4:07 AM

Fast startup is a special form of resume from hibernate.   You can read the pros and cons in the link below.

When you shut down, you really don't do a complete cold shutdown, which might be wanted in some cases:

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Options

1 Posts

07-13-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 7 of 7

2017-05-24, 3:05 AM

This updated zapped my Windows Store ability to update or install new software. Using the Win feature to go back to previous operating system version was successful. (Did try all but the most extreme Store troubleshooting steps.)

Feature updates are a crap shoot, imho. Before doing one, make sure you have a restore point and a recent full system image. And I am grateful I went for Win Pro. And if you've been putting it off - backup, backup, backup.

Suggestion: I've had excellent luck with a 256GB Lexar 1000x SD card. P40 slot supports the UHS-II extra read pins, so I get very close to their stated 150 MB/s. I also get above 80 MB/s write on single large files. Price per GB isn't awful. (Their faster cards, imho, are overpriced and also have a smaller maximum capacity.) This card is quick enough that I don't get impatient even on a full SD backup. Good place for personal files and installation files in case I want a smooth full OS reinstall. Recommended.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms