cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 314
Message 1 of 10

Intermittent scrolling problems in Microsoft News app on different Thinkpads with Trackpoint

Has anyone experience scrolling problems in MS News App?  Originally I thought it was a computer problem when I first got my TP25 then I noticed the same thing is happening on my T490(recently factory recovered) and my X1Y3.  Basically when using Trackpoint it will just be non-responsive.  Screen will show the "scroll" icon while trying to scroll but nothing happens.  Touchpad works fine for scrolling but not trackpoint.  don't think its a hard ware problem since it happens on all 3 laptops since new.  It just won't scroll or if it scrolls it will suddenly stop.  I prefer to use trackpoint but its annoying I can't scroll in the app with it.  Click on any news article and try to scroll with trackpoint and you will see that scrolling either works/scrolls then stops/or doesnt scroll at all.

All drivers update on all 3 laptops.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 285
Message 2 of 10

Re: Intermittent scrolling problems in Microsoft News app on different Thinkpads with Trackpoint

I've never used the MS News app before but I just tried it here, I couldn't get trackpoint scrolling to work at all.  The mouse pointer does not change when I press the middle button.  I use the trackpoint exclusively and use the middle button to scroll, and haven't noticed another app where it doesn't work.  This is with my T580 daily driver.

Guru
Views: 207
Message 3 of 10

Re: Intermittent scrolling problems in Microsoft News app on different Thinkpads with Trackpoint

Thanks for confirming.  Is there anything that can be done to fix the issue?  I prefer to use only trackpoint.  I don't like having touchpad turned on at same time because of palm rejection issues.

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 198
Message 4 of 10

Let me check with our trackpoint rep if anything can be done.

Guru
Views: 186
Message 5 of 10

thanks for checking!

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 159
Message 6 of 10

What is your middle button setting as shown below?  Mine is "use as middle click".  This is when scrolling doesn't work for MS News, even though it works for Outlook, Chrome, and other apps.  If I change it to "use for scrolling", then scrolling works for MS News, but I lose the middle click function that I need for Chrome.

Untitled.png

Guru
Views: 131
Message 7 of 10

I have it set to "use for scrolling".  It works intermittently.  I don't think its a hardware problem since I have same problem on TP25, X1Y3 and T490.  It sometimes works fine.  Sometimes it scrolls then stops even though scroll symbol is on.   Then sometimes even though scroll symbol is on it does not scroll.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 102
Message 8 of 10

@green5178 wrote:

I have it set to "use for scrolling".  It works intermittently.  I don't think its a hardware problem since I have same problem on TP25, X1Y3 and T490.  It sometimes works fine.  Sometimes it scrolls then stops even though scroll symbol is on.   Then sometimes even though scroll symbol is on it does not scroll.

News app seems to have frames of content and then blank space between the frames... does it matter where the mouse pointer is when you try to scroll?

Guru
Views: 91
Message 9 of 10

No.  Even within an article it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt and sometimes scrolls then suddenly stops.  The weird thing is touchpad works with no problems.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 44
Message 10 of 10

I'm still trying to reproduce this.  So far I'm using X1Y3 with the MS News app, but haven't seen the problem yet.  Would you say this problem is more frequent on another model?  Is it possible for you to provide a video that shows the problem?  I may be able to share the video with Synaptics to see if they have any idea.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors