Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,686
Message 61 of 192

Re: Power Manager for Windows 10?

"The battery firmware itself will recognize the scenario where the battery is ALWAYS fully charged 100% (over a period of many weeks) and adjust the full charge capacity downwards in a way to maintain maximum battery health. This is something that happens automatically in the battery firmware. There is nothing that a user needs to do manually, to maximize battery health on these batteries. For this reason, we don't provide any utility to manually manage battery charge thresholds on Windows 10."

Please bring forth the technical evidence and the parameters supporting this justification. Your vague statements above are devoid of factual data and invalidated by

1) My experience with 100s of TPs, whose batteries lasted 2-3x longer when managed vs. the default, i.e. being topped;

2) Anecdotal evidence such as https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Poor-Battery-status/m-p/2030263/highlig...

3) The existence for decades in IBM of the TPM with h/w and explicit s/w support for setting the battery charge Start/Stop %. The species is now extinct, silently killed by Lenovo in the transition win7->8... together with the 7 row standard keyboards in TP :-).

4) "ALWAYS fully charged 100% (over a period of many weeks) " : After MANY weeks the battery chemistry damage is already onset, the f/w has only to adjust to it.

Net: The TP user pays a premium and has higher expectations than the 'industry standard' and 'convenience'.

While on many machines one could just remove the bat. when on AC (and thus loose the backup useful in countries with poor AC grid), the modern ultrabooks have built-in batteries that can't be removed in .5 sec to protect against full charging.

Most TP users KNOW when/if they need to charge, w/o magical f/w trying to guess our intentions. Pls. kindly bring back a win7-like TPM for win10, with Start/Stop limits. Thanks!
Hamlet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,671
Message 62 of 192

I have my computer connected to the AC 99 % of the time, always charged to 100 % and after 2 years, I have not noticed a considerable decrease of battery logevity. It's lost maybe 20 % or so of juice, which I find totally acceptable after 2 years.It still good for a good 4 hours, could probably be good for a few minutes longer with a bit more conservative settings.

gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,667
Message 63 of 192

As posted here, the win7 TPM (version6 tried) works - even when the registry hack failed.

Test: win10 64b Pro, TP Yoga S1 (i7-5600U), complete update on Aug. 12 with all the Lenovo drivers.

The reg. hack has worked till then, but failed after new drivers and BIOS 1.14 flash. The old win7 TPM6 has worked, changed the battery chip f/w.

Now i can uninstall the TPM, and all the heavy lenovo packages i don't need... till the next update that resets my battery settings again :-)

thank you + kudos to the poster who had the only solution thus far in the thread!
Alex_Spain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,659
Message 64 of 192

Hi guys! I upgraded last week my Lenovo Y50-70 from W8.1 to W10 keeping all apps I had and now I can stop the charge of my battery but in manual. This us, I start in 20%-30% and in the same moment I reach 55% I turn on "Conservat mode" in Power Manager so the battery stops charching. Its not a good solution but it works.
gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,657
Message 65 of 192

"I found a tool writtne by german developer (but he shut down his site - thinkutils.de)"

after a virus scan i tested it on win10, and it just shows the bat. status; nothing else. I'd love a 870KB solution, but this is not the complete install perhaps.

Normally most win XP/Vista/7/8 etc. work on win10 just the same.
gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,655
Message 66 of 192

@shargan: "even this custom win 8 PowerManager are both working. What I mean - this PM is able to change this 4 registry values which are added to windows register by Lenovo Settings Dependecy Package (along with many other keys)."

this PM = ?

Lenovo's forum doesn't maintain a per-post sub-threading, hence we can't tell to which actual post you have replied above.
gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,644
Message 67 of 192

"I just installed the power manager for windows 7, works fine. "

@xello : Thanks, this was the ultimate solution, after 3-4 registry hacks failed to work any longer. The install was straight, just needed .Net3.5 before the 1st run.

Afterward i've removed the airplane power plan and eventually i'll remove all the other lenovo packages - unnecessary after the f/w has recorded my Start/Stop % (44/88 is a tried and true)
gusat
HDMI
Views: 8,641
Message 68 of 192

"Sorry, the registry hack IS WORKING. However the Lenovo Settings app is not showing it. So, we can set custom thresholds."

you've been lucky, at least till the next BIOS or lenovo driver :-)

For me only the win7 TPM has helped
Alex_Spain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,626
Message 69 of 192

Sorry but what registry hack is? How can i do that?
Xello
Punch Card
Views: 8,611
Message 70 of 192

Idk why this thread is still going for pages and pages... Just install win7 pwm everyone. There is no issue Smiley Happy

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors