Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 10
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-09-2017

Germany

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 44

Problem with the USB recovery creation

2017-03-09, 16:31 PM

Hi all,

Have an issue with the creation of USB win 10 image to install fresh copy on my Legion Y250. I have followed all the instruction from the website, downloaded the USB creation program. Followed the steps and get error message at the end by the creation of the USB image. The message says: " USB key creation. Recovery files validation failed". I have tried three times the procedure, same ending. I have USB stick from Philips, 32gb I think is USB2. So far no antivirus except the one from the win.  Please help coz I am slowly getting frustrated with the whole Lenovo system. I got upset when I found that I cannot install win7 or at least Lenovo does not provide the drivers or whatsoever. It is too complicated with all the registration to download or to write here on the forum. No direct technical support. I mean come on, stop saving from such operating costs. If I do not get this laptop runing the way I want, I will return it, sorry.

thanks for your helpt, and sorry for the frustration, but I am loosing time with this. It is already second day I cannot get around this windows story. I have being reinstalling laptops for some time and a feel they way lenovo has setup the windows and software configuration not user friendly.

cheers

Options

12445 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40586 Signins

428584 Page Views

• Views: 428584
  • Message 2 of 44

Re: Problem with the USB recovery creation

2017-03-09, 16:33 PM

delete the download folder before retrying

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

5 Posts

03-09-2017

Germany

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Message 3 of 44

2017-03-09, 21:20 PM

thanks for the prompt reply. I forgot to mention that in all three cases I used different forlders.

Options

8 Posts

04-15-2016

United States of America

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 4 of 44

2017-03-13, 1:58 AM

Just FYI, I'm having the same exact issue. Bought 3 Lenovo Thinkpads a few months ago and I just downloaded their Windows 10 Pro images to put on USB sticks for recovery purposes. Tried 4 different USB 2.0 16GB sticks, all with the same "validation failed" results. Tried again with brand new 16GB USB 3.0 sticks, and still same error.

This is just really really poorly done. You are not alone... 

Options

5 Posts

03-09-2017

Germany

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Message 5 of 44

2017-03-13, 7:30 AM

Resolved the issue by using Microsoft procedure. I was done in 1 Hour. Lenovo you have to work out your issues.

Options

8 Posts

04-15-2016

United States of America

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 6 of 44

2017-03-13, 20:15 PM

So, I kept trying different combinations of things and finally found a combination that works.

I have an older ThinkPad laptop that only has USB 2.0 ports, and I also have a ThinkPad P50 with USB 3.0 ports. Here are the combinations that worked or failed:

Laptop w/ USB 2.0 ports + USB 2.0 16GB flash drives = fail

Laptop w/ USB 3.0 ports + USB 3.0 16GB flash drives = fail

Laptop w/ USB 3.0 ports + USB 2.0 16GB flash drives = success

Laptop w/ USB 2.0 ports + USB 3.0 16GB flash drives = success

The results are somewhat ironic, but they are repeatable. I have run through them like 6 times to finally create the recovery USB drives I wanted to have as backup; and that's just the successful tries. For failures, I've tried many more times.

So, the results above makes me think this is a combination of issues, perhaps related to power delivery + fault handling in the software. USB 3.0 drives at 3.0 speeds tend to draw more power; and perhaps using them in a USB 2.0 port slows them down enough to make power delivery not an issue. Vice versa, a USB 2.0 drive in a USB 3.0 port should give it ample power. I suspect the USB drives are reseting in the port due to power delivery issues? And Lenovo's tool doesn't handle these USB resets very well; perhaps Microsoft's own recovery usb creation tool handles the USB resets and is able to compensate for the condition?

Lenovo: how does one report a problem like this to official channels so that it might actually get fixed?

Options

5 Posts

03-09-2017

Germany

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Message 7 of 44

2017-03-14, 8:33 AM

This is weird. Anyway, when this process is done through Microsoft in 1H then I guess Lenovo has to put some hours to fix the issue, or Lenovo is all about the hardware!??

Options

16 Posts

02-19-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

29 Signins

310 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 310
  • Message 8 of 44

2018-09-28, 12:12 PM

wrote:

This is weird. Anyway, when this process is done through Microsoft in 1H then I guess Lenovo has to put some hours to fix the issue, or Lenovo is all about the hardware!??

How do you complete this process through Microsoft? Could you please provide the details to help others (like myself).

Options

6 Posts

12-21-2018

Romania

5 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 9 of 44

2018-12-21, 19:28 PM

i try all combination , 3 laptops , 3 usb stick , insert in 2 usb , 3 usb , C type usb , dizablet fire wall , evriting .... this is not work aout . why is created if not function ?

Options

1 Posts

01-12-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 44

2019-01-12, 18:14 PM

I got Lenovo P52 yesterday with XEON. I have been trying to replace my hard drive , and not able to get USB drive created. I called Lenovo support many times. Everyone is trying to tranfer without telling me.

Today, to my surprise the person transferred me to Premium support. The person was asking money to fix the issue. When, I said why.his reply was, we only sell and warranty hardware. So Ist I need $69 to start with.

Before that, I am got new USB, the system was not recognizing. I fixed that error with reformatting the USB.

1. I have downloaded the Lenovo Bootable disk creator.

2. I tried it twice. Every time..i need to spend 2 hours to download 15 GB software.

3. Then Error comes " USB Key Could not be validated".

I m myself Engineer, and getting transferred from one support to another without telling me. I have all the recorderd conversations with the Lenovo Support. I tell them that, I am recording. They tell me the id.

Now this person told meto return the product? He said, we can't support? (He was from Lenovo Premium Support"?

In my 25 years in Service, I never have this kind of WORST SUPPORT at all. Going to return my laptop. Will go back to Dell. This guy also told me to buy DELL. I never have issue with DELL. I used M688, and going to buy DELL 7730. NEVER BUY LENOVO PRODUCT AGAIN IN LIFE. NEVER. WORST COMPANY. 

I talk to 6-7 support people..all are worthless. Lenevo Management is sleeping on the wheel. Will go to Costco, and return my other 2 laptops bought from LENOVO. Total 3 returns. Get the hell with Lenovo. NEVER DEALING. Will tell COSTCO as well.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)