Did you mean: 
leejh96
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,486
Message 1 of 5

Recovery Partition After Upgrade

Hi,

I'm currently running in Windows 8.1.

Will Windows overwrite the version of Windows in recovery partition after upgrade to Windows 10??

Thanks for helping.

leejh96
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,431
Message 2 of 5

Re: Recovery Partition After Upgrade

Will it affect any partition??

Or it will create a recovery partition for Windows 10??

And how about OEM partition??

How about if I reset my pc??

Will it still in Windows 10 or 8.1??

The driver and software (Lenovo Utilities) will restore to the time I bought my laptop or not??

Lenovo Employee shumpert
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,422
Message 3 of 5

On my Helix (Original Model), which I upgraded yesterday to Windows 10 Pro, the preloaded recovery partition is gone.

It now boots to the Windows 10 recovery options screen when I press F11 on POST.

I had recently reset the Windows 10 installation to fix my live tiles on the start menu as well.

The original recovery partition may still be there when you initially complete an upgrade.

I did not check before I did a reset so I wasn't able to verify that however.

The Lenovo companion and Lenovo utilities would not restore the factory recovery partition.

I would reccomend that you create recovery media and keep a copy nearby if you need to go back to your original Lenovo preload. You also have the option with Windows 10 upgrade to rollback to the original Windows 8 install if you need to within 30 days of completing the upgrade.  After 30 days windows will delete your old installation to save hard drive space.

leejh96
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,365
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your reply anyways... Smiley Wink

The problem I care about is just about:

Will the drivers and Windows rolled back to the factory version (Windows 8.1)??

And how if I need to reset my laptop after 1 year of upgrade?? Since that time no more free upgrade to Windows 10.

Lenovo Employee shumpert
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,306
Message 5 of 5

If you reload your system using the recovery media then yes it will be the original factory load (windows 8.1) with the original drivers. If you use the reset option from within Windows 10 no. You will get a clean install of Windows 10 without any apps or data from your previous setup.

Your system should still remain activated with Microsoft for the Windows 10 upgrade after the 1 year upgrade offer since it was upgraded during the offer.

According to the Windows 10 FAQ from Microsoft:

Once you've upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won't need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale