cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBurghardt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 510
Message 1 of 5

Synaptics Driver Still Failing - Almost a year with no solution!

I see dozens and dozens of posts about the same problem.  I have a Lenovo Flex 5 and about a year ago, the Finger scan software stopped working due to a Windows update.

The only replies I have seen are to get the latest driver from here - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-5-1570-type-81ca/d... - which does exactly nothing.

Will Lenovo continue to ignore this problem or actually update the driver to fix this?

This latest driver gives the error message - "This device cannot start (code 10)."

Someone PLEASE HELP!

AdrianG001
Punch Card
Views: 450
Message 2 of 5

Re: Synaptics Driver Still Failing - Almost a year with no solution!

Try CLEAN REBOOT

• Windows 10 comes with a range of software, drivers, and apps. To make things complicated, we install even more apps to personalize user experience. Sometimes, the software are constantly competing for resources, cause conflicts. A clean reboot can help root out the issue.
  • Open MSConfig like you did in the previous step. Under the Services tab, select Hide all Microsoft services like Send to one note tools or Microsoft exchange online which will now leave only those that were installed by the user, you. Now click on Disable all.
  • You will now launch the Task Manager by either going to the Startup tab or by searching for it in the Windows search.
  • In Task Manager, under the Startup tab, you will choose each item individually and Disable it. You can’t select them all at once for some reason.
  • Once done, go back to System Configuration screen and click on OK. Now reboot your computer, and only the bare essential apps and services will load.
  • Check if you are still getting the Set user settings to driver failed error and if not, you know there is a conflict. You will have to enable MSConfig services one at a time until you find the conflicting service or app.

Regards,
Adrian Gates
System Administrator
RBurghardt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 441
Message 3 of 5

Thank you Adrian.  I will give this solution a shot and report back.

RBurghardt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 335
Message 4 of 5

Hello again.  I have disabled all services and startup tasks.  The ONLY services that are still running are two for my Norton Security.  Everything else is disabled.  I still get the same error 10 on the Synaptics driver.

Is it possible that the Norton Security Suite is interfering with this driver?  I did a Google search but didn't come up with anything about it as a known problem.

Any other ideas?

Highlighted
RBurghardt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 212
Message 5 of 5

Hello again.  Are there any other ideas here?  I'm still stuck without a solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors