Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murrayjamesnet
What's DOS?
Views: 352
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad P52: Windows 10 version changed by repair technician

In March I bought a Lenovo P52 from the Lenovo Canada website. The laptop came direct from Lenovo Canada with Windows 10 Home 64 English pre-installed. I have emails from Lenovo which contain the computer specs, a purchase number, etc.

After buying the computer, I traveled to China. While in China, the laptop hard drive crashed. I took it to a local repair shop. The repair shop technician switched out the hard drive and replaced my Canadian Windows 10 version with a Chinese version exclusive to Mainland China. This version does not allow you to change the display language; it is permanently in Chinese.

I want to go back to the Windows 10 Home 64 English edition I had before. How do I do this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 300
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad P52: Windows 10 version changed by repair technician

One way is to download it from microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ve2mrx
SCSI Port
Views: 160
Message 3 of 6

Hi murrayjamesnet,

One suggestion would be to always carry a copy of your recovery key (not the original!) with the machine. If you have it, it's only a matter of going through the recovery.

My guess is that you would have gotten your machine with Chinese language anyway, but you could have fixed it yourself getting out of the shop.

Another option would be an external drive with a full image backup. Data would be safe(r), and your whole disk would be as it was in the last backup.

I hope your data was saved,
Martin

murrayjamesnet
What's DOS?
Views: 143
Message 4 of 6

Hi Martin,

Thank you. It all worked out. I was able to download a fresh version of Windows 10 online using my Microsoft ID and password.

How (where) do I make a copy of my recovery key?

Thank you,

Murray James

ve2mrx
SCSI Port
Views: 134
Message 5 of 6

Hi murrayjamesnet,

First, you must create the recovery key when you get a brand new machine by following the info here: 

https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht117511

Then, you duplicate the USB key. There are various ways, but my techy way is to make an image file with https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ and store it on another hard drive for backup. But before, I resize the partition to make the image a bit smaller and fit on different keys. Once you have the image file, it's only a matter to write it on a different device. That is basically how Lenovo writes the hard drives of all their systems: from a file.

Look up how to do it, there are tutorials around. The subject should be about imaging or creating disk images. Here, with .img files, but you might find information talking about .iso files too.

Martin

Highlighted
murrayjamesnet
What's DOS?
Views: 113
Message 6 of 6

Thanks Martin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors