cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
momers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,391
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd: Win10 Fall Creators update (1709) has busted the Ambient Light Sensor

Hi Guys,

Anyone else has experienced this? After updating to the latest version, the ambient light sensor is not working (and I belive other Intel sensors as well are not working proper).

I have removed the Sensor driver solution, deletd them, and reinstalled both the Windows Update version as well as the Lenovo Companion supplied drivers but the sensor has not come back on.

Becasue the light sensor is not working, the screen brightness doesnt change automatically, and the Auto Keyboard Backlight function is not working either.

Appreciate any tips to resolve this, short of resetting the whole **bleep** machine!

ozkana
What's DOS?
Views: 1,200
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd: Win10 Fall Creators update (1709) has busted the Ambient Light Sensor

I got exactly the same problem, after upgrading to 1709. Ambient light sensor is not working. I've called local Lenovo support and opened a ticket. Waiting for their response.

momers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,191
Message 3 of 7

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd: Win10 Fall Creators update (1709) has busted the Ambient Light Sensor

Glad to see this acknowledged.

Meanwhile, I did a PC reset, and then a Fresh Start (from the Win10) settings in hope of going back to the shipped version of Win10 and fix this. Neither worked! All freshest drivers from Lenov and Microsoft etc. but nothing has fixed this so far.

Further testing showed that the sensor hardware is working ( used some win10 apps to see if the sensor registers luminance changes). The sensor was reading the changes in brightness so I am not sure if this is a sensor or a driver issue.

The other peculiar thing I noticed is that in the Display settings, when I check the tickmark to switch adaptive brightness on, after half a second or so the display would suddenly dim for less than a fraction of a second and then go back to full birghtness! Blink and you will miss it. It was alsmost as if the adaptive brightness wanted to work but was stopped by something. (I was testing with 100% brightness in a room with no lights...this should result in the display getting dimmer).

I dug further down into power settings>advanced power setting in the old control panel and under the Display section made sure that Adaptive Brightness was activated. The setting was already active.

So it appears there is something else which is preventing the adaptive brightness for working as it should. And I think this is also what is causing the keyboard backlight's Auto setting to not work as intended, when it gets dark, the keybaord light doesnt come on by itself.

@ozkana You might want to share this with Lenovo and update your ticket with these details to help them along?

Thanks

ozkana
What's DOS?
Views: 676
Message 4 of 7

I was in touch with Lenovo for months, nothing resolved. Many times I've installed drivers etc. However, I think I got a solution. I've installed the Ambient Light Sensor Driver (https://support.lenovo.com/tr/en/downloads/ds103426) manually using <pnputil.exe -a sample.inf> command and unchecked the "change brightness automatically when lightning changes" setting in control panel/display setting and voila!

Rebooted many times, working. Tested under bright light, keyboard light goes off. And in dark, keyboard lights on.

Finally!

momers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 655
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the update

I have recently noticed that the keyboard light seems to turn on and off automatically depending on the brightness. All I did was switch off Keyboard Lighting toggle from within the Lenovo Vantage app, then switch it on and select AUTO. But I have also noticed that when the soundings are dark but the screen is bright, the keyboard light goes off. Perhaps becasue the screen is bright enough to light up the keyboard?

I didn't do anything lately (install or un-install) and it seems to have resolved as part of some other updates perhaps.

But on the other hand, the auto screen brightness is still not working. It is as if something is overriding the autobrightness settings in the Win10 Settings app. As I mentioned, every time I check the box, there is a slight decrease in brightness and then it goes back to the current brightness level. Did you experience that?

momers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 154
Message 6 of 7

So finally, on the 4th of Jan 2019, Lenovo Vantage pushed an update "Intel Integrated Sensor Solution  (Windows 10 Version 1709 or later) - 10 [64] - V.3.1.0.3527" which restored the ambient light sensor function and hence now the keyboard backlight actually works on Auto and the Auto screen Brightness feature is also working.

It took only a 14 months to fix this, no biggie!

I am still on the Win 10 1803 flavour, so lets see of the updates hold strong when I move to Win 10 1809.

Intel and Lenove you can both do better on drivers side man!

Highlighted
momers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 148
Message 7 of 7

See this also please, solution was a two part solution from Intel.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-2-auto-keyboard-backlight-vs-auto-scr...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors