05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Views: 690
  • Message 1 of 13

Upgrade ThinkPad W510 to Win 10

2015-07-26, 9:23 AM

I want to try to update a 5 year old ThinkPad W510, which I have not really been using much, from Win 7 to Win 10. I don't yet see it in the compatability list yet so I am not sure whether it will be viable although hardware-wise it meets the Win 10 specs. I looked at the recommendations for upgrading from Win 7 to Windows 8 and I will attempt to follow those as a first step.

1) It recommended updating the BIOS as there was a BIOS change relating to Windows 8. I have done that.

2) I will remove a lot of unused software. Those that I want to retain might need to be updated and I will install the latest ones after the upgrade.

3) There was a list of five software programs / drivers that were indicated as being required to be removed. I will do that prior to the update.

4) There was a whole slew of Lenovo software and some drivers that were recommended to be removed. I can do that also but it seems that Lenovo has not developed updated versions yet. I think it might be best to wait for those before committing to the upgrade.

5) Regarding drivers,when I ran Windows Update under Win 7, it has 7 driver updates available:

a) AuthenTec driver update for TouchChip Fingerprint CoProcessor [my device is made by UPEK]

b) Intel Lan - Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection

c) Lenovo LCD (1366x768) [This is the .INF file defining the ThinkPad display]

d) Lenovo Other Hardware - Lenovo PM (Power Mgmt) Device

e) nVidia - Graphics Adapter Quadro FX 880M

f) Ricoh Company - Storage - PCIe Memory Stick Host Controller

g) Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device

Using Windows Update to install drivers has been prone to problems for many. I intend to update what I can from the Lenovo drivers site.

a) Lenovo has an update to the Fingerprint software for Win7/Win8 which includes a new driver. Apparently AuthenTec bought up the technology from UPEK, that explains the name change. Since Lenovo recommends that the Fingerprint software be uninstalled, I am not sure whether to install the new software and then uninstall it prior to the Win 10 install or whether Lenovo will be coming out with a new version for Win 10.

b) For the Intel LAN Adapter I will install the Lenovo update.

c) I probably will let Windows Update install the LCD .INF file. Lenovo has two different versions, one appears to be newer which had included support for Win 10 and then removed it (?).

d) The Power Mgmt Device is questionable since I was not able to find any update from Lenovo.

e), f), g) I will use Lenovo's updates for these.

[ I would hope Win 10 would apply any driver updates that would be needed, but whether Lenovo will have new ones available shortly after the releae of Win 10, I don't know. ]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JohnD

Options

6570 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17672 Signins

162539 Page Views

• Views: 162539
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Upgrade ThinkPad W510 to Win 10

2015-07-28, 12:13 PM

The supported system list is here:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

Notice that W510 is NOT on it.  Lenovo does not recommend that you update your W510 to Windows 10.  You may or may not be able to find all of the drivers you need.

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2015-07-28, 12:44 PM

That's a shame. It is just laying around and would be would be a good candidate to try Win 10. I probably would end up doing a clean install to eliminate some of the junk installed on it. One person was able to install the Preview using a clean install. I may give it a shot a little later to see if all the drivers become available.

JohnD

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2015-07-28, 23:21 PM

I was finally able to get the little "Get Windows 10" icon by running a script I found that runs an appraisal of my system. When I did the PC Check (one of the functions of the icon), my system came up clean. I realize that there may be driver issues so I will see what happens once I decide to actually install Win 10. I will wait a bit to see if any bad issues pop up after the release tomorrow.

JohnD

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2015-08-09, 6:37 AM

According to the information I have been able to find at Lenovo Support on upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there appears to be a bunch of Lenovo software that must be or is recommended to be removed before doing the jump to Win 10. Whether I will be able to get updates for them at this point, I don't know. Since this will basically be used as a test system for Win 10, for somethings (such as the Fingerprint reader and a lot of other items) it is not a big deal. I will be happy to have basic functions working such as TouchPad, Keyboard, Ethernet, and Wireless. i will have some limited software installed which I also hope will continue to function. I suspect that Win 10 may update some of the drivers as part of the installation process.

This is what I have gathered regarding what should remain and what should be uninstalled:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEEP:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Network Connection Drivers
     NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
     NVIDIA Drivers v312.69  [I have updated these to the latest that Lenovo had for my system)

Qualcomm Gobi 2000 Pkg for Lenovo

RICOH RSU230 Media Driver

NOT SURE:

Disable AMT Profile Sync Pop-up for Vista/Win7
     Integrated Camera Driver Installer Pkg
     Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor
     Intel Control Center

Intel Management Engine Components

ThinkPad UltraNav Driver

UNINSTALL:

Access Help
     Client Security - Password Manager
     Create Recovery Media

Intel PRO/Set/Wireless WiFi Software
     Lenovo System Interface Driver
     Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox
     Lenovo Warranty Information
     Lenovo Welcome
     Message Center Plus
     Mobile Broadband Connect
     NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager  [This is an old version from the initial Win 7 build]
     NVIDIA Performance Drivers  [This is an old version from the initial Win 7 build]
     On Screen Display
     Registry Patch to Enable Max Pwr Saving on WiFi Win7
     Rescue and Recovery
     System Update
     ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software
     ThinkPad FullScreen Magnifier
     ThinkPad Modem Adapter
     ThinkPad Power Mgmt Driver
     ThinkPad Power Manager
     ThinkPad UltraNav Utility
     ThinkVantge Access Connections
     ThinkVantge Active Protection System
     ThinkVantge Fingerprint Software
     ThinkVantge GPS

QUESTIONABLES:

There are a number of entries In Programs and Features labeled "Windows Driver Packages" Some of these seem to be duplicates of entries above. I am not sure what to do with them.

Broadcom Bluetooth (6/15/2009)
     Broadcom Bluetooth (7/30/2009)
     Broadcom HIDClass (7/28/2009)
     Intel (e1 kexpress) Net (12/10/2009)
     Intel (HECIx64) System (9/17/2009)
     Intel System (6/4/2009)
     Intel System (10/28/2009)  [2]
     Intel USB (8/20/2009)
     Lenovo Power Mgmt Driver (11/18/2009)
     Ricoh Co Memory Stick Host Controller (10/26/2009)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JohnD

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2015-08-09, 12:17 PM

I am moving the Intel PROSet Wireless software to the "Uninstall" list. This was recommended by Intel. Edited the above post appropriately.

JohnD

Options

1 Posts

08-12-2015

United States

1 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 7 of 13

2015-08-12, 1:29 AM

I recently updated my W510 from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and although some of the drivers took a while to install from Windows Update, all went well.  I'm not sure if this is a typical experience, but my experience was excellent.  My W510 is updgraded with a 1TB SSD and 20GB of installed memory, but beyond that no material changes to the factory machine.

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2015-08-12, 3:36 AM

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear everything went well for you. That is encouraging. It seems like drivers are the big issue at this point as well as any Lenovo software that might be available for the older systems. Microsoft is not helping by issuing updates to the upgrade that fail and cause your computer to go into an endless update attempt, fail, and crash loop. Why they decided to force updates (including drivers) without any way of blocking them is beyond me. I will be doing my update attempt shortly using the media creation tool to create a bootable flash drive.

JohnD

Options

1 Posts

08-13-2015

Florida

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 9 of 13

2015-08-13, 10:54 AM

I upgraded my w510 successfully last week from win 8.1 to win 10. It was a download update that too 2+ hrs (no ssd , on this old workhorse). At 1st it would lock up everytime after signin/logon (dad to remove battery). Eventually I put in my recovery stick ((I use Macriunm Reflect), booted up, went to lenovo site, Reinstalled systrem update (Lenovo), ran update, updated win 10 recommended stuff/drivers. Did a standard reboot, reran Lenovo update, updated additional drivers and all has been well for the past week.

Good Luck

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2015-08-14, 2:10 AM

Hi John,

Interesting! It seems that a number of people are having problems after the upgrade and revert to doing a clean install where it then works much better. What Win 10 drivers did you pick up? When I check the Lenovo Support site, there are no drivers other than a Wake on LAN update, the .INF file for the LCD display, Settings Dependency, and the Lenovo System Update. Maybe the System Update picks up more? I will try this weekend.

JohnD

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete