05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Views: 690
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Upgrade ThinkPad W510 to Win 10

2015-08-16, 2:44 AM

Well I jumped in and ran the upgrade using the Media CreationTool generated flash drive version. It took about an hour to run. After it finally got to the desktop, I started Firefox to check Internet access. After about a minute, the system froze solid. I had to do a "hard" restart. After returning to the desktop from that restart, it behaved pretty good. I have run into a couple of problems:

(1) I can't start WiFi

I can no longer turn WiFi on. The function keys no longer work and the button option in Network Settings will not go to "ON". Not sure how to fix this.

(2) I see no Bluetooth devices (no big deal since I have none but I thought they would show up in Device Manager)

Will check back,

JohnD

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 12 of 13

2015-08-16, 5:51 AM

Well I guess it would help if I had the WiFi Radio button on the side turned on. I have not used the system for a while so I forgot about that. Did that and WiFi now works wonderfully. I reinstalled the Lenovo On Screen Display software. When I hit {Fn} + F5, I still get nothing. I thought that would turn the WiFi radio ON/OFF as well but no soap. I am not sure if any of those {Fn} + {Fx} keys work. Some of the others, such as {Fn} + {Home/End} and {Fn} + {PageUp/PageDown} seem to work ok.

There was a big Windows Update from MS today, some of which caused others some misery. I ran it without incedent.

I would say that the W510 is pretty much compatible with Win10. I have not tried the FingerPrint device. I originally tried using it a while back but found it was easier to just type in my password. I did not appreciate the ads that MS is popping up every once in a while, such as Get Office and get Skype. I can see why they are giving Win 10 away for free. With all the information Win 10 will gather about you leading to potential targeted ads that you might get, especially on the Internet, they can make a lot of money off people. Did anyone notice when they did the install that Win 10 would assign you an "advertising ID"?

Stay tuned,

JohnD

Options

41 Posts

05-26-2010

US

99 Signins

690 Page Views

• Message 13 of 13

2015-08-16, 6:09 AM

I just realized that the WiFi Radio switch also resurrected Bluetooth. Unfortunately I have nothing to test it with. I might pick up a Bluetooth keyboard to give it a try.

Another issue that I have encountered is when I try to access shared folders on my Win 8.1 desktop from my W510, I have to try numerous times before I get access. I keep getting a "Windows cannot access \\computername\folder".

JohnD

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete