Options

2 Posts

03-27-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 4

Upgraded OS, do I need to make create new USB recovery media?

2017-03-27, 0:45 AM

I recently bought a new T460 with Windows 10 Home and a 500gb traditional drive.

I made the USB recovery media right away.

I just upgraded the OS to Windows 10 Education (so I could install bitlocker and defer updates)

and also upgraded the harddrive to a Samsung EVO SSD

Do I need to create another USB recovery since my OS is upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

Options

69 Posts

03-11-2017

United States of America

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Views: 1664
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgraded OS, do I need to make create new USB recovery media?

2017-04-02, 23:17 PM

Since I am not sure of what kind of recovery media you made (ie, complete backup for restoral, etc), I would say yes just to be safe.

Options

1232 Posts

09-12-2012

United States of America

2341 Signins

21237 Page Views

• Views: 21237
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-04-03, 1:55 AM

This is actually a bit of a loaded question, and newlaptop is correct on one thing, it depends on what kind of backup media you are talking about.

If you are talking about the system restore discs that will restore your computer to factory condition, the answer is no. Those image files do not get updated with the OS.

But if you are talking about a backup of the entire hard drive, then the answer is yes. But you should be making incremental backups from time to time anyway. I generally do entire drive backups yearly, and once a week or so, do incremental backups.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Options

8700 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77523 Signins

2210040 Page Views

• Views: 2210040
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-04-03, 4:06 AM

To throw in another wrinkle...

It also depends on the recovery scheme used in the original image.  Typically systems that use a separate recovery partition - a recovery image of multi-GB, not a 1GB partition containing only the recovery tools - do not modify the recovery image when updated.

Newer systems that use what Microsoft calls Push-button Reset - which have the recovery image files incorporated in the OS partition, and have a smaller recovery partition containing only the tools - do get updated recovery files when the OS is updated.

That said, I don't know what happens when a PBR OS is upgraded as you have done.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to make another recovery drive, and it would be very interesting to know if it's different from the one you have previously made.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms