Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_RCI
Paper Tape
Views: 545
Message 1 of 8

VPN keeps disconnecting over Sierra WWAN on Windows 10 1809

Hi,

Has anyone comes across an issue where Cisco VPN keeps disconnecting (intermittent) over LTE using Sierra Wireless card on Lenovo ThinkPad?

VPN is working fine if connected over LAN or Wireless. This problem occurs after upgraded from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1809.

Thank you!

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 447
Message 2 of 8

Re: VPN keeps disconnecting over Sierra WWAN on Windows 10 1809

Just a check here...you didn't list what system this was for...

If you go to pcsupport.lenovo.com and put in your machine type...and manually update the driver with local admin rights, AND check to see if there is any separate firmware update for the WWAN card (for some systems, but not all)....and finally, a pass through System Update...does it still do this?

Note that 1809 did change they way it "sees" WWAN cards...Microsoft sees them as Smartcards now, through the UICC handler/driver...

Another option is to try to disable the UICC driver as a test....AFTER you have made sure everything is up to date.

This article, though for an X380, has a script and procedure you can use to disable the UICC driver...TEST this if the above steps fail.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508370

Bob_RCI
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 3 of 8

It is happening on Lenovo T450s, T460s, T470s, and T480s and possible on X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga as well. We have Sierra EM7455 on most of the Lenovo T series. I have try installing the latest Sierra WWAN Driver from Lenovo site and it was a successfully install but when check in the device manage for the Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Sanpdragon X7 LTE-A, the Driver Provider shown Microsoft and dated back to November 29, 2018 and not what I just installed. I am not sure if this what causes the problem, somehow Windows see the current installed driver is the best driver available. Again, this only started to occur after we upgraded to Windows 10 1809.

idbirch
Paper Tape
Views: 203
Message 4 of 8

Did you figure this out?  I'm getting reports of the same issue on Dell 7490's.  We've tried AnyConnect 4.6 and a much older version (3.1) but are still seeing frequent drops of the VPN connection.  It seems to disconnect quite frequently at first then after a while, it settles down.  At least thats the 3rd-hand information I have at the moment.

Highlighted
Bob_RCI
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 5 of 8

Try adding the following registry and test the VPN connection over broadband see if that helps:

Add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WcmSvc\Local" /v fMinimizeConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f /reg:64

idbirch
Paper Tape
Views: 102
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Bob, I tested this out and it does indeed solve the problem. We've applied the corresponding Group Policy to the 1809 machines now. Cheers!

bac123
Punch Card
Views: 60
Message 7 of 8

Bob, 

This solved a similar VPN problem for me, as well. Thanks much! 

Bruce

idbirch
Paper Tape
Views: 49
Message 8 of 8

Here's all the information on the Group Policy which governs this setting:

https://getadmx.com/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.WindowsConnectionManager::WC...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors