cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JawadCh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,391
Message 51 of 57

Re: Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803): Windows Hello / Synaptics WBD (SGX enabled) Fingerprint Rea

hello, i have the same issue after 1903 update, i guess the first driver link u posted has been updated and replaced the 27 mb with 6 mb driver so its not working.. can someone upload the 27 mb driver plz? m not finding it anywhere.

Highlighted
yoasakura38
Paper Tape
Views: 1,267
Message 52 of 57

Re: Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803): Windows Hello / Synaptics WBD (SGX enabled) Fingerprint Rea

So I managed to fix mine through by updating the drivers similar to the fix described here.

My device and settings are as follows:
Lenovo 720S 14IKB (81BD)
Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.239
UEFI: Intel SGX = enabled

The fix basically comes in two parts:

1. Install the full driver package (which should be ~27MB in size).

Unfortunately, the link provided in the post directs to a download page with only 6MB for the driver. After scouring through windows update catalog, I found a suitable driver:

A. Download driver from windows update catalog
i. Search for "e0eff302-9830-4775-ad1c-8ca0cb667c9f" (the update ID).
    "Synaptics Incorporated - Biometric - 10/28/2017 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.311.26", 29.2MB.
ii. Download the .cab file and extract to a folder using 7zip (or some other decompression software). 
    If you're using 7zip, you can ignore "Warnings: There are some data after the end of the payload data".

B. Install the "full" driver
i. Search and open "Device Manager"
ii. Under "Biometric devices", Right click "Synaptics WBDI" and click "Update Driver"
iii. Select "-> Browse my computer for driver software"
iv. Select "-> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
v. Click the "Have Disk..." button
vi. Browse and navigated to your extracted driver folder and select "sgx_base.inf"
vii. Click "Open", then "OK", "Next", "Yes", ..., etc. to install the driver.

I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I repeated steps 1.B.i. to 1.B.v., then in step 1.B.vi. to install "synaWudfBioUsbLenovoSGXProd.inf", instead of selecting "sgx_base.inf",

2. Install latest compatible driver.

I couldn't register my fingerprints using the default driver 5.5.2613.1050 [6/8/2017], so I tried to look for the latest compatible driver.

A. Determine Hardware IDs
i. Repeat 1.B.i and 1.B.ii, but instead of clicking "Update Driver", click "Properties" instead.
ii. Go the the "Details" tab
iii. Select "Hardware Ids" from the drop down
iv. Note down the shorter string. For me, it was "USB\VID_06CB&PID_0081"

B. Install the latest compatible driver
i. Search the device ID. In my case, I entered  "VID_06CB PID_0081".
ii. Sort by "Last Updated" and download the latest available driver. As of the time of writing, the latest update for my device was 5.5.2734.1050, updated 2/28/2019
    Note that while the numbers and dates look the same, the "Driver Model" that may not match what was originally displayed in your Device Manager. You can see the Update Details by clicking the "Title", which is a link.
    In my case the original string was "Synaptics WBDI", NOT "Synaptics WBDI - SGX". It doesn't seem to matter but I'd use one with a matching Driver Model just to be safe.
iii. Follow steps similar to 1.B to install the new driver.

Your fingerprint reader should work. You can try setting up your fingerprint under "Sign-in Options"

After some testing, it seems like Intel SGX can be disabled post installation. However, fingerprints will only work if you install a Driver Model WITHOUT an "SGX" in its name. Otherwise, both "Synaptics WBDI", and "Synaptics WBDI - SGX" drivers work with SGX enabled.

You may need to delete/re-enroll fingerprints after changing drivers.

Hope this helps someone out there since I've lost many hours trying to figure this out since the 1709 or 1803 update.
Sajal6
What's DOS?
Views: 638
Message 53 of 57

When I clicked your link for the 27 Mb package, there were only the 6.5 MB package and 8 KB package. Please help. Also to add on, I have the Flex 15" - Onyx Black
Part Number: 81SR000MUS
dgcruzing
Fanfold Paper
Views: 556
Message 54 of 57

thanhcoti
Paper Tape
Views: 160
Message 55 of 57

windows 10 version 1803 broke synaptics fingerprint reader 29Gi

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I22vZM9VQA4_ZwK9bJMU8n4bvsUjFfv8/view?usp=sharing

loconner411
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 114
Message 56 of 57

Today I installed the October 2019 Windows update and voila'!  My fingerprint reader is working again.  Guessing that the "powers that be" decided it was better to fix this non-critical issue than to keep receiving communications about it.  Or, maybe some analyst showed them the (HUGE!!) numbers.  Still bitter that it took 6 months to get a fix pushed. (Maybe that is the release schedule?  every 6 months??)

On to the next challenge:  getting my power settings to work like they should (pressing the power button no longer takes the computer out of sleep or hybernation.  Sigh...)

PrakashUdeshi
What's DOS?
Views: 27
Message 57 of 57

Thanks for the solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors