Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 10
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

10-10-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

20 Signins

90 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 90
  • Message 21 of 35

Re: Windows 10 Installation stuck at 71% - Ideacentre AIO B550

2017-11-11, 12:33 PM
First - I'm not expert enough to know or recommend going back to Win8.1, sorry. It might work but don't do this unless you are confident it's the right approach for you.

I used the term sub-releases of W10 because MS doesn't actually give them a generic name !! The last three "sub-releases" (or six month updates) are Win 10 1511 (now eol), Win 10 1607 and Win 10 1703.

I still don't have a fix for the overall problem or specific reason why 1607 and 1703 won't work on my B550 I'm afraid. It's really frustrating ...
Options

3 Posts

11-08-2017

United States of America

29 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 22 of 35

2017-12-02, 3:58 AM

Update and progress on this!  My B550 is running the latest W10 1709 update today!   No promises; I can only report what I did.  

2 days ago, machine run update in spite of me, hung as usual, but this time was not able to restore previous version.  That "restoring previous"  message flashed up after power cycle, then black screen, reboot, over and over.  Thought might be end of the line.  Tried many recovery tricks, sfc, chkdsk, etc, no luck.  Gave up, downloaded the W10 installer tool (which is 1709), reformated disk, reinstalled W10 clean.  Install worked, was able to log in once.  Then hung.  Tried a couple more times, finally got to a rescue menu, where I chose safe mode boot with network, and it came up!   So it will run, in safe mode/network, with a fresh 1709 install.   I suspect it might have run the existing original install if I could have got it into safe mode to boot.  Not sure if possible, but might be, if you boot from a USB key or DVD to recovery mode.  Not sure and I suspect once it hangs and restarts it can only try to restore the old version.  Also might work to disable devices if you are still running 1511, at least the ones I disabled, then try to update.  Was too late for me though.

Anyway, many things you can't do in safe mode, and it took a few tricks to make it possible to easily select safe mode every boot, and seemed like could only log in with a Microsoft account ID.  So I wanted to try to get to normal boot.  I disabled a few devices in Device Manager, suspecting drivers, did not work.  Disabled and uninstalled a few more, then a few more, and finally, booted OK into normal mode!!    I ended up re-enabling some of the devices I had disabled, so it is quite usable now as I don't care about some devices.  I may go back one day and try to isolate the culprit device.  

As I said, I can only tell my story, and it is on my B550 which has touch screen, AMD + Intel graphics, Bluetooth, TV Tuner, some IR remote capability, and I run W10 Home, 64 bit.   

Currently disabled in Dev Mgr:

Graphics:  AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series (running on the Intel 4600)

HID-Compliant Touch Screen

Realtek PCIE Card Reader

Qualcom Atheros AR956X Wifi  (I use wired ethernet, but this Wifi might work)

Other Devices - Multimedia Controller

Sound - Intel Display Audio, Lenovo USB2.0 Audio

System Devices - Consumer IR Devices

All other devices enabled as usual.

Originally I disabled/uninstalled 2 other ENE CIR devices, but they came back in a Windows Update, and did not cause problems, so I guess OK.  

My gut feeling is if you can get the machine to boot to Safe Mode when it restarts after the bad update, that might work but may not be possible to arrange that.  I don't think Update will work in Safe Mode.

Good luck, to anyone who has not thrown the darn thing out already!   Darn shame that Lenovo or Microsoft are unwilling to help at all on this.

John

Options

7 Posts

10-10-2017

20 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 23 of 35

2017-12-07, 11:01 AM

Well done to JLF; but shows what exptreme route is required to get the latest W10 installed.  I note he has had to disable the main display driver, the touch screen and a a whole lot more!  I have personally just given up ....  I was able to install the last 1511 package (November 2 2017) from th eupdate catalog.    I also took advice and booted in safe mode from that clean install - but same problem with sticking at 32/33%.  This time however (by accident I suspect) W10 1511 version 10586.1177 seems to have stopped trying to force me to update to 1703!!!  so at last I'm not getting the constant requirement to update - and then the update failing again and again and again ...  So for now I'm accepting the fact i don't get secruity updates and just getting on using the lenovo B550.  As many others have said though - I won't buy Lenovo next time; they have just washed their hands of this problem.

Options

9 Posts

08-09-2017

Germany

18 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 24 of 35

2017-12-07, 20:45 PM

I am also lucky to report to all users of Ideacentre AIO B550, that, for whatever reason, the machine is capable to run Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Version 1709 OS-build: 16299.64 since Nov. 22nd.

The bad message is, that I am not able to tell why, respectively, what happened. Yes I tried various tipps and hints I got so far, but nothing solved the problem. The latest thing I did, I made some deletions (data, apps and programs) on my Dell tablet (8.1 device). This device is synchronized with the Lenovo Ideacentre AIO B550 over my Outlook account. Nov. 22nd the Lenovo Ideacentre AIO B550  startedt to update, as in the past. All of a sudden, it went up to 55%, crossed the 71% burden where it always hang up, till 100 % was reached.

The update completed without any interruptions or malfunctions. I checked the system informations, and could not belive it. But it showed: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Version 1709 OS-build: 16299.64. See also attached screenshots. Calendar, mail, contacts, all programs and apps came up. Everything was there. :) 

Bernhard from Germany

Options

19 Posts

01-22-2011

United States of America

16 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 25 of 35

2017-12-10, 6:26 AM

I also have an Ideacentre B550 and it took won't update to version 1709.  Mine also freezes at 33% complete.  I have read that you should uninstall or disable drivers if you're having these problems.  But I haven't tried that yet.  I may do that next.

I've also noticed several blue screens of death on my PC over the past year.  I suspect there may be some other corruption or bug involved.  That may be related to the update failure but don't know.

Options

7 Posts

10-10-2017

20 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 26 of 35

2017-12-13, 14:12 PM

Sorry to say that I was really hopeful last night, trying the 1709 update.  The new Update Assistant worked slightly differently, it checked the pc and verified the download as ok and then proceeded very slowly through the Updating W10 phase (1hour 45 mins);  however it still then went onto "working on updates" where - as usual - the PC hung at 33% !!!  So - hopes dashed i'm afraid!!  Obviously something is stopping the working on updates phase every time - but all the suggestions here and elsewhere have failed.  Also note that the standalone installer route referenced below (which works fine for 1511 kb's) gets an immediate rejection with "this update is not applicable to this pc"  At least that doesn't waste time by failing!!  So - back at 1511; but at least the constant updates have stopped (for now at least).

windows10.0-kb4054517-x64_f1c0e8eae96b357bc13e5668c5874904502106df 

Options

3 Posts

11-08-2017

United States of America

29 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 27 of 35

2017-12-13, 21:05 PM

Sorry to hear your update failed.   As I said before, I am not an expert, just a fellow user, but I believe the freeze/hang problem is caused by some device built-in to the B550, don't know which.   When Update gets to this device, it (usually?) hangs for some reason.   The Update process has to be run such that the problem device is not considered or visible suring the Update process.   There may not be any way to achieve that with Updates, I don't know.   I think I was able to achieve my success after a full fresh install by getting the option to safeboot after several failed boot attempts.  Once I was able to safeboot with 1709, the system came up with no problems.  Then I was able to turn off a number of devices, reboot, and see if I had "fixed" it.   If so, I could turn on some devices, see if it still worked.  

I suspect that even if you turn off some devices before trying Upgrade, the Upgrade process in this case starts from scratch, ignores your disable settings,  and tries to use every device, and hangs.  Even if you set the system to safeboot next time, then run Upgrade, I suspect it ignores that setting as well.  

But for me, the full Win10 install from scratch process did not hang.  It did hang soon after the first real login, and several times right after boot, but then I believe the automatic Win mechanism to offer safeboot if boot is failing kicked in, and I took that option, then figured out how to present that option every time (hint:  bcdedit),  turned off devices, and finally had some success.   I agree, a very convoluted process, and I did start from scratch and a full fresh clean install.

Good luck!

Options

19 Posts

01-22-2011

United States of America

16 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 28 of 35

2017-12-13, 21:24 PM

Same problem. Update hangs at 33%.  I've been trying various fixes suggested by the mods at the Microsoft community forum.  None have worked so far.  I'm going to bring the pc to my local repair shop & let them deal with it.

No more Lenovos for me.  And maybe no more Windows for me either.  Linux/Ubuntu is starting to sound more attractive.

I love this computer, except for the update mess.  This has happened with earlier updates as well.

Options

15 Posts

05-03-2017

Brazil

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 29 of 35

2017-12-16, 21:33 PM

Guys, good afternoon !

I have very good news.

Today, even without making anything different or special, my Lenovo AIO B550 updated to Windows 10 1709 !

First, I found strange when I received the Windows Message asking to reboot to finish / install the update...

I say "strange" because I had made some procedures to not allow to install this update anymore. This procedure was made months ago, and since that time, windows never tryied to install it again (avoiding to stuck and get frustated) . 

But, as this message appeared today (asking for update/reboot), I thought that something was differente on the update and decided to give it a chance. It rebooted and worked ! 

So I suggest you to give it a try.

Best

Options

1 Posts

01-23-2018

Czech Republic

3 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 30 of 35

2018-02-15, 10:39 AM

I have the same problem and I'm really angry and do not understand Lenovo's indifference in this.

And yes, it´s problem with dual video card. For me it has become a temporary solution Windows 7 (but support for this ends in two years). What then? I hope that during 2 years Lenovo or Microsoft will create a package for us - unhappy owners of AIO Lenovo ideacentre B550. If not - Lenovo brand is no longer welcome in my house!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms