Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 1 of 26 (35,921 Views)

Windows 10 charges T450s to 100%, charging threshold not respected

So after upgrading my T450s to Windows 10 from 8.1 I noticed that the charging thresholds are no longer respected. I had set them up in the registry by editing ChargeStartControl, ChargeStartPercentage, ChargeStopControl, ChargeStopPercentage.

Very well, I thought and reinstalled the LENOVO POWER MANAGEMENT DRIVER and LENOVO SETTINGS DEPENDENCY DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 10 - but still no joy. It still charges 100%.

Has anyone managed to get this working under windows 10?

Punch Card
Message 2 of 26 (35,977 Views)

Charging thresholds working on Windows 10!

Just reporting back to say that I managed to get the battery charging thresholds to work under Windows 10 by editing the registry settings.

First Install the latest "Thinkpad Settings dependency" package (3.0.0.9) and "Lenovo power management driver" (1.67.10.17). After this, Windows update asked me to install something called "Lenovo PM device". I did. 

Next head over to the registry and edit the ChargeStartControl, ChargeStartPercentage, ChargeStopControl and ChargeStopPercentage keys under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data

ChargeStartControl and ChargeStopControl should both be decimal 1.

ChargeStartPercentage and ChargeStopPercentage should be the threshold values you want(make sure it's decimal).

Next repeat the same steps for the each battery listed under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\[your_battery_serialno]

Create the keys if they are not present. I had to add the keys for ChargeStartPercentage and ChargeStopPercentage here.

Restart the system to allow the settings to take effect. 

Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 26 (33,673 Views)

Re: Charging thresholds working on Windows 10!

[ Edited ]

turboq8 wrote:

Just reporting back to say that I managed to get the battery charging thresholds to work under Windows 10 by editing the registry settings.

First Install the latest "Thinkpad Settings dependency" package (3.0.0.9) and "Lenovo power management driver" (1.67.10.17). After this, Windows update asked me to install something called "Lenovo PM device". I did. 

Next head over to the registry and edit the ChargeStartControl, ChargeStartPercentage, ChargeStopControl and ChargeStopPercentage keys under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data

ChargeStartControl and ChargeStopControl should both be decimal 1.

ChargeStartPercentage and ChargeStopPercentage should be the threshold values you want(make sure it's decimal).

Next repeat the same steps for the each battery listed under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\[your_battery_serialno]

Create the keys if they are not present. I had to add the keys for ChargeStartPercentage and ChargeStopPercentage here.

Restart the system to allow the settings to take effect. 

THANKS A MILLION!

This does work! 

Mine is Thinkpad T540p - Windows 10 64bit

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 26 (33,225 Views)

[ Edited ]

this registry setting really works on my thinkpad yogas. 

however, from time to time an app changes the values. so I created .reg file that I can simply run when needed...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data]
"ChargeStartControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStopControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:0000003c ;=60% feel free to change this value. just make sure it same across all 3 sections
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:0000005f ;=95% you can also change this as you wish

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:0000003c
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:0000005f

;you have to replace last part of this string by your battery serial number
;you can find this number in your registry or in "Lenovo Settings" app - under battery details ("Bar-Code Number")
;example: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\1ZS424BK05M] 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\yourBatterySerial#]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:0000003c
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:0000005f

; Edited by:
; Adam, in-ear.com 
; Headphone Experts 
T20 > T22 > T40p > T43 > T500 > TP Yoga (gen1) > TP Yoga 12 (gen2) > ?
(never've had other Laptop than ThinkPad)
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 26 (33,194 Views)

Is there an aftermarket app available from/for Lenovo that will take care of this for us without messing with the registry? My Dell has a GUI app that does this.

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 26 (31,574 Views)

Help! I tried this on my ThinkPad T440P. I'm pretty sure I did exactly as suggested. I now have a weird symptom that my battery NEVER charges while the computer is on, only while it is switched off. The power light flashes 3 times when I connect the charger, indicating the the computer knows I've attached the power cable, but it continues to run on battery power, running down the battery.

To be clear, my current problem is not just that the battery is not charging, but that the computer is "refusing" to draw power from the AC adapter when it is running.

I've tried undoing the registry settings by putting the ChargeStartControl and ChargeStopControl values back to "0", but that also doesn't help. Is there some other registry value that tells the computer whether to draw power from an AC adapter which I might have inadvertently changed???

Can anyone help me please. I'll settle for default 100% battery thresholds if I can just get the computer to run on external power again.

TIA.

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 26 (31,357 Views)

are you 100% positive, that your adaptor is fine? 

i'd for sure try a different adaptor first...

if adaptor is OK, then: boot a linux bootable distro - just to see if it behaves normally there or not...

T20 > T22 > T40p > T43 > T500 > TP Yoga (gen1) > TP Yoga 12 (gen2) > ?
(never've had other Laptop than ThinkPad)
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 26 (31,273 Views)

Great suggestion, thanks! Didn't have another adapter handy, but tried booting from a Ubuntu installation disk. Also there not charging. Must be a hardward issue. I'll go after Lenovo for warrantee support. Thanks!
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 26 (30,922 Views)

In case this helps anyone else, I have found that my problem was unrelated to this post. I had unintentionally toggled the battery to "airplane mode" and didn't realize that switching on WIFI doesn't cancel it. Don't understand why WIN10 airplane mode does such strange things to the battery functions, but that's it. The setting is accessible by right click on battery icon in tray and selecting Mobility Center.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 10 of 26 (30,915 Views)

Daniel, thanks very much for taking the time to report back the resolution of your issue.  It did help me, and I'm grateful.  I had been holding off on doing the Win10 upgrade expressly because I didn't want to lose the ability to set charging thresholds, and seeing your original post made me nervous.  Thanks for sharing what you found!

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count