Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_Gaines
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 1 of 13

Windows 10 on a TS140 Thinkserver?

I am a home user with a Thinkserver TS140 bought new on eBay some time back. It has an Intel Xeon E3 1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz CPU. Best computer I have ever had it just sits in the corner quietly and serves the house.

I have recently upgraded my ThinkPad T440P and S440 to WIndows 10-1903 and have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is now. What's the chances of installing Windows 10 on the TS140? I have seen suggestions that the Lenovo Windows Server 2016 drivers work on Windows 10, anybody any expereicne of that?

Many thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 920
Message 2 of 13

Re: Windows 10 on a TS140 Thinkserver?

Hello,

You can try installing Windows 10 Version 1903 and then seeing if WIndows Update can install device drivers for the various hardware components.  For anything that does not install a driver, you can try Lenovo's drivers for Windows Server 2016.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Jeff_Gaines
Paper Tape
Views: 887
Message 3 of 13

Many thanks for your reply Aryeh :-)

I did it and it worked - Win 10 1903 has all the drivers needed for the T140 and it installed as sweet as a nut. I used the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to get the latesr graphics driver and I am in business! As a bonus Win 10 activated using my Win 8.1 product key so that still works.

If anybody is interested a batch of T140 Thinkservers has just appeared on eBay UK, unused but out of warranty, £300 including win 10.

Regards.

Draccie
What's DOS?
Views: 717
Message 4 of 13

I have 12 of these set up in a computer lab running win 10 pro - they were donated new and were running win 7 pro when I took over.

They have been running win 10 for a year now, have been updated to 1903 (apart from the main server) and the

BSOD and crash score = 0

Totally stable and reliable.

Put decent graphics card plus extra RAM in them and you can run bottom end Virtual Reality software.

Well worth getting your hands on.

Tokend
Punch Card
Views: 565
Message 5 of 13

Chiming in... 

I am encouraged by the successes of Jeff_Gaines and Draccie in installing Win 10 1903 on their TS140s. Encouraged, because try as I might, I cannot accomplish this. 

As I described in this thread, my installation attempts have been met with utter futility. The TS140 just flat out refuses to install Win10 before installation begins, failing with the "could not prepare" error described in the thread. 

But, I must be missing something. My installation media has been with plain vanilla Win 10 1903 media, as downloaded from Microsoft. I don't know anything about Win Server 2016 drivers, or how to get them onto the vanilla media if I had them. Unlike Jeff, 1903 did not have all the drivers I needed, or if it did, the installation didn't get started for some other reason. I don't know if it matters, but the 1903 media is on a UEFI bootable USB flash drive. 

I lack the IT expertise of J_G and D, and am stuck motionless at the starting gate. Any suggestions about how to get out of the **bleep** gate would be greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Jeff_Gaines
Paper Tape
Views: 546
Message 6 of 13

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, I have no idea of your level of knowledge!

I think the issue may be linked to secure boot and the type of partition(s) you have.

If you do have secure boot enabled you MUST use GPT partition(s) and UEFI BIOS,

If you don't have secure boot enabled then any partition/BIOS should work.

I asked in a technical group on Usnet and the suggestion is:

Turn off secure boot in the BIOS.
Make a normal Win10 USB thumbdrive using the Microsoft tool.
Select it to boot from during POST.

During the install tell Win 10 to delet all the existing partitions, it will then set up whatever partitons it needs to install on.

You can enable secure boot again after the install it's probably purposeless.in a home environment.

This presupposes you have a second PC to make the USB stick.

If you follow these instructions you will lose absolutely everything on the drive so make sure it's backed up!

Let us know how it goes.

Tokend
Punch Card
Views: 521
Message 7 of 13

Thanks, Jeff. Although I am on the retired side of life, I'm sure that my egg-sucking days are not all behind me. My own uncertainty comes from trying to do this on my first and only GPT/UEFI computer. My years of MBR/BIOS familiarity are of no use. 

Anyway, no offense taken. Quite the contrary. I'm desparate for suggestions that I haven't tried. The official response that I get from Lenovo for Win 10 on the TS140 is "not supported." 

I really appreciate your suggestions, and for reaching out to others for assistance in this. Unfortunately, I've tried all of the suggestions. Secure Boot is disabled; I've booted from both MBR and UEFI flash drives. I've downloaded fresh Win 10 iso files from MS. I've deleted all partitions on the drive, both inside and outside Win 10 Setup. 

I haven't tried enabling Secure Boot. And, I don't have to select the Win 10 USB drive in POST, as it is higher in the boot sequence, so booting from it occurs naturally. Other than that, all of my installation attempts have resulted in "could not prepare..." 

I'm at a loss. Despite Lenovo's disavowal, it feels like I'm missing something. I expected the kind of "sweet as a nut" installation that you experienced, and that Draccie experienced on his dozen installations. From your combined experiences, I know that it CAN work, even if not officially supported. Something is different about my installation and/or I'm doing something wrong. 

If I ever do find a solution, I'll update this thread, in case it might help others who have similar problems. I'm open to any variations on my attempts. In the meantime, I have to go find some eggs to suck. 

Thanks again, 

Ken

Jeff_Gaines
Paper Tape
Views: 511
Message 8 of 13

Are you able to remove the drive and hang it off another machine temporarily? If so you could look at it with mini tool partition (or similar) to see how it is set up. The graphical Win 10 installer can't change GPT to MBR (or vice versa) and it's easier to whip the drive out and use a graphical app on it.

I had an issue with a home build recently where I had the drive in and out goodness knows how many times to ensure it was definitely MBR - ironically in the ned it transpired that the problem was the PSU had failed so the install kept falling over :-(

Tokend
Punch Card
Views: 498
Message 9 of 13

Yes, I can do that on other machines. For that matter, I can do it on the TS140, as I still have a bootable Win7 partition. The idea was to let Win10 set up a multiboot option, Win7 or Win10. I also have Partition Wizard. I'll go see what the Win10 flash drive looks like now... 

I'm back. Both PW and Diskmgmt.msc show the USB flash drive as GPT. It was created with Rufus 3.7. I've also created an MBR flash drive with Rufus, and booted it with Win10 Setup, as I had CSM (compatibility, Legacy or UEFI) set. I'm fairly certain that the GPT flash drive boots as UEFI, because I turned off CSM (UEFI Only) momentarily, and successfully booted Win10 Setup.

However, and I'm not sure if this means anything, but the two other GPT HDs on the TS140, from which I can boot Win7 and its clone backup, also show a 100 MB FAT32 hidden partition and a 128 MB "Other partition." Neither of these special UEFI partitions are present on the USB GPT flash drive. Is this relevant? 

Fwiw, I also tried creating a USB flash drive through the Microsoft Media Creation tool, letting it download and write the Win10 1903 Setup files to the flash drive. I've also tried booting from an MBR Win10 DVD. All my attempts result in "could not prepare."

Win10 is targeted for a now bare GPT HD (I've done all my backing up). So, between the Win10 flash drive and the HD, I'm open to any re-formatting or re-building that has so far escaped me. 

Thanks for sticking with me. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 493
Message 10 of 13

Just tossing stuff over the wall... No TS experience.

Disconnect the other drives in the machine before running the install.  The installer may be confused about where the boot stuff should go.

If you're really going to run multiboot, you'll probably need to install '10 in the same mode in which the other OS(s) is/are installed and running or you won't be able to select which to boot on the fly after the install.

If you're going to install and run '10 in UEFI mode, select only that in your BIOS config during the install.  No CSM support required - that's for '7 in UEFI mode.

If you still can't config during install with just a single drive connected try SHIFT+F10 early in the install process and use diskpart to do a "clean" before continuing or rerunning the install.  That will wipe the drive completely.

About Rufus: everybody loves it I guess but it may have too many options... if you're installing '10 in UEFI mode just use a MBR, FAT32 flash drive and use Win Explorer or 7zip or you favorite (un)archiving tool to puill the contents of the ISO and copy them to the flash drive.  That's all it takes. No Rufus, no GPT, no fuss...

FWIW and good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors