Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpgw2qq
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 1 of 5

Windows Hello - "Sorry Something Went Wrong"

I have an X1 Carbon - Gen6 on which I have set up facial recognition for Windows Hello login. This worked fine at the beginning, but after some recent updates, instead of the IR camera turning on when I boot the system, I get the "Sorry Something Went Wrong" message and the login defaults to PIN signin. However, if I click on the sign-in options, I can choose facial recognition and the IR camera turns on and facial recognition works. Also, the IR camera and facial recognition work without any problem from the lockscreen.

I have checked that the camera and windows hello drivers are up to date, made sure that biometrics and facial recognition are enabled in group policy, and run the Lenovo diagnostics on my laptop. I have also set facial recognition as the default signin for my UserTile in the registry. None of this has solved the problem

Does anyone have any suggestions I might try?

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 215
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows Hello - "Sorry Something Went Wrong"

Is it possible that "sorry something went wrong" is referring to the fingerprint sensor?

If you have any fingerprints enrolled, try removing them.  Another idea is to try disabling the fingerprint sensor in Device Manager -> Biometric Devices (just as an experiment).  If your computer doesn't have any fingerprint sensor, then please ignore my message.

jpgw2qq
Paper Tape
Views: 200
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your response.

I don't have any fingerprint login set up in Windows Hello, but I do have a fingerprint reader. So, to try your suggestion, I just booted my X1 to disable the reader and, what the heck?, facial recognition worked at startup. The IR camera came on, Windows Hello recogized my face, and viola, right to my desktop. That hasn't worked correctly in more than three weeks.

How to explain it? There was a Windows 10 update yesterday and perhaps MS fixed something they had broken in a prior update. Or perhaps it was simply a lucky moment.

I'm not considering this resolved yet. First, I want to see that facial recognition goes back to working on a reliable basis. If facial recognition fails to work on the next startup, I will then try your suggestion of disabling the fingerprint reader.

In any event, I will post a follow-up with either a resolution or to request other suggestions.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 194
Message 4 of 5

You might be able to find more details about "sorry something went wrong" in Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Biometrics.  But most of these logs are just noise and even the error logs are difficult to understand.  If you are able to reproduce the problem again, and can find some error log that corresponds to the time of the problem, post it here.

Highlighted
jpgw2qq
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 5 of 5

Well, hoping that WH facial recognition would work at startup after a recent Windows 10 update was too good to be true. On a cold boot, I consistently get the message "Sorry something went wrong. Please sign in with your PIN". On the login page, I am able to click on the sign in options button, select facial recognition, and it works fine. Also, facial recognition works without any problem on a restart (rather than a cold boot) and from the lockscreen.

Per your earlier suggestion, I tried disabling the fingerprint reader, but that didn't improve or change any of the symptoms.

It appears that something is blocking WH's access to the IR camera at boot before the signin page appears. Or perhaps, the WH driver is not loading at the right time during boot. After the signin page appears, the IR camera is accessible to Windows Hello.

This seems to be confirmed by looking at the Event Viewer. At boot, it shows repeated errors in configuring the biometric sensor for the "Windows Hello Face Virtual Software Device". The event code is 1109 and it fails with error code 0x80004001. I also see an earlier error (the Windows Biometric Service fail to start is secure component", which is Event 1600 with an error code of 0x80070032. I'm going to research these errors and see if they may be related to the facial recognition failure when performing a cold boot.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors