Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 568
Message 1 of 9

X1 Yoga Gen2 OLED - Fingerprint Unlock (bug?) under Win10 1709

Since updating to Win10 1709, unlocking via fingerprint needs to be done twice (or I have to hold my finger on the pad continuously while it's checked twice). I get my normal startup screen, put my finger on the pad when the green light comes on, and Windows recognises me (it says hello to me) at which point I lift my finger. Then it asks me for my fingerprint again. This only happens when turning on from a shutdown. If I sleep or hibernate, fingerprint unlock works as it always has.

Any thoughts?

(Just installed a new BIOS update via Lenovo Companion, but that didn't help.)

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 549
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Yoga Gen2 OLED - Fingerprint Unlock (bug?) under Win10 1709

Try this:  Press your finger just once, and when it says "hello", just press the enter key.  Will it let you in?

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 526
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for helping.

No, when I hit return it just presents me with the option of selecting how I want to log in (fingerprint, password, or pin). All while I'm being greeted by name on the screen. It doesn't seem to have any difficulty recognizing my fingerprint.

Any more suggestions?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 508
Message 4 of 9

I checked my X1 Yoga Gen2, and I see this also.  I guess it is Microsoft's bug in their new OS update.  I don't have any advice except to roll-back to the previous version and wait for Microsoft to fix their bug.  Have you reported it on a Microsoft forum?

sygnus21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 505
Message 5 of 9

I've a X1 Yoga Gen 2 OLED and just tested to see if I have the issue and all is good here. And yes, I've got the FCU (Fall Creator Update) - WIndows 10 Pro x 64 - 1709 Build 16299.19

Anyway no issues here; just tap the fingerprint reader and I'm in.  Tested this twice.

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 483
Message 6 of 9

Not worth rolling back when the workaround is to just hold your finger on the pad a little longer, at least for me. I'm not sure that there's enough evidence it's a Microsoft bug (as opposed to a weird interaction between our machines and the installation of 1709), just because both of us have the problem. I don't belong to a Microsoft forum; maybe it's time I found one (the X1Yoga is my first Windows machine). If you're at home in Windows, and you have the time and inclination, maybe you can figure out something that's beyond my ability to understand. I don't know how to remove and re-install the fingerprint driver, for example. (I don't even know what it's called).

sygnus21 doesn't seem to be having the problem, so it's not happening to everyone. I wonder what was different in his setup or update procedure than in ours.

Anyway, thanks for helping!

sygnus21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 475
Message 7 of 9

@tvBilly1,

I did the update through Windows Update. Things got a little wonky but the update succeeded. Regardless I don't have the issue. That however does not mean others can't have it.

As a side note if you're looking for a Windows 10 forum you can check us out over at tenforums.com. I'm an active participant there under the same name - sygnus21

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 449
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the pointer, I just joined tenforums.com. About to go on the road for a few weeks, but I hope to have time to check things out.
tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 328
Message 9 of 9

Just checking to see if anyone (maybe someotherguy ?) ever found a solution to the "need to fingerprint twice" when rebooting after the fall creators update (1709).

I haven't...

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors