Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 10
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-30-2016

Philippines

18 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 1 of 4

"Preinstalled OS license" field in BIOS has a random number

2016-07-30, 14:53 PM

Good day to everyone :) This is my first post at Lenovo Community.

I have a Lenovo G40-80 that has Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows Update on the 23rd of July.

On the 27th of July, I decided to perform a clean install of Windows 10. But it wasn't activated because the system didn't recognize the digital entitlement inside the BIOS that came with Windows 8.1 (thankfully I had a legit Windows 10 Pro key that I got from my university's MS DreamSpark store).

When I checked the BIOS, the "Preinstalled OS license" field had the following value:

31***** WIN 

I believe that the 31***** was for the Windows 10 license that I got upon initial upgrade from Windows 8.1, while the WIN is the code that means that I have a genuine Windows 8.1 OEM license (see here).

How can I remove the 31***** from the BIOS without removing my current Windows 10 Pro installation?

Any questions and/or replies are appreciated. Thank you very much. :D

Mod's Edit: Altered number for the protection of owner.

Answer
Options

12420 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40572 Signins

428334 Page Views

• Views: 428334

Re: "Preinstalled OS license" field in BIOS has a random number

2016-07-30, 15:48 PM

What you see on the BIOS screen is not the windows key.  It is a marker showing that the key is there and what type of license it is.  You cannot take it out.  You can extract the actual key using something like RWEverything.  (search the forum)  That key would have allowed you to upgrade, not do a clean install.  Once the key has been flagged as having been upgraded, you can reinstall with a clean copy.  (Before you start complaining about Lenovo's difficult policies, note that this is the way Microsoft forces the licensing to work.)

You would need to put back the original OS before doing the upgrade.  I am not sure how this relates to the fact that free upgrades ended yesterday.  I think you need to try to activate by phone.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

12420 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40572 Signins

428334 Page Views

• Views: 428334
  • Message 2 of 4

2016-07-30, 15:48 PM

What you see on the BIOS screen is not the windows key.  It is a marker showing that the key is there and what type of license it is.  You cannot take it out.  You can extract the actual key using something like RWEverything.  (search the forum)  That key would have allowed you to upgrade, not do a clean install.  Once the key has been flagged as having been upgraded, you can reinstall with a clean copy.  (Before you start complaining about Lenovo's difficult policies, note that this is the way Microsoft forces the licensing to work.)

You would need to put back the original OS before doing the upgrade.  I am not sure how this relates to the fact that free upgrades ended yesterday.  I think you need to try to activate by phone.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

07-30-2016

Philippines

18 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-07-31, 0:49 AM

Thanks for the explanation :) I'm currently running a fresh install of Windows 10 with a Pro key from MS DreamSpark, and realizing that I can't take the marker out  the BIOS, maybe I'll just keep using my G40-80 as normal.

At least I made a Windows 8.1 recovery drive before my first Windows 10 upgrade, so I can use that should I want to put the original OS back. :D

Options

1 Posts

10-06-2021

Australia

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:"Preinstalled OS license" field in BIOS has a random number

2021-10-06, 7:13 AM

Lenovo can’t install windows 

image.jpg
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms