cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crash525
Paper Tape
Views: 2,194
Message 1 of 5

y700 My fans are constantly running after the latest windows creators update 1709

Hello, I have a lenovo y700 and a yoga 900 laptop. Both laptops after the update cause their cpu fans to always run. I will power my laptops on and a minute or two later of if I open more than one tab while web browsing the fan speed shoots up and slows down a bit. Its a constant droning noise in the background. My CPU usage on both is 0-1% but the fan speed never stops. My y700 I had done a repair install per the moderators at the microsoft support forum but it still has not helped. I am holding off on doing anything to my yogo laptop since its a work/school laptop and there is a lot of programs and information on them. I also tried disabling cortana, search indexing, and a few other services to try and see if that helps. Really nothing has worked. I have looking into getting windows pro to see if that would help since most of the forums I have been reading have been the home edition. With windows pro I can correctly disable cortana and what not. I still dont know if that would work or not. I am at a loss here. Its super annoying and I am actually considering selling my work laptop and getting a mac. Any help would be great. Thanks. 

subset
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,108
Message 2 of 5

Re: y700 My fans are constantly running after the latest windows creators update 1709

If you open up task monitor and there aren't any processes using up a ton of your CPU, like reading or writing a lot of data, or some other application, I would say that it was something else. Something to do with the hardware settings, or the OS is miscommunicating with the hardware.

I'd check and make sure that your PC isn't doing a bunch of updates, which I know windows has a tendency to do whenever I use it, especially after the new update. You could also try disabling thebuilt in anti-virus, which most people would say is a bad idea, but it slows down my pc significantly. Also make sure you're pc isn't connection sharing, or update sharing. If it is, other people can receive some of the updates they need from your PC.

I believe ACPI handles the monitoring and speed of your fans, so they would be where I would look. It could also be an issue with the sensors failing to correctly detect the temperature. One thing worth considering is downloading an application or daemon that controls the fan speed. You can set the max fan speed manually, and just keep an eye on the temperature of your CPU with a temperature tracking utility until you find a fix.

As for selling your pc and buying a mac, I'd recommend it! I use my girlfriends 10 year old macbook pro more than my lenovo pc, because my lenovo pc is a piece of crap. A piece of crap I paid $800 for.

crash525
Paper Tape
Views: 2,087
Message 3 of 5

Re: y700 My fans are constantly running after the latest windows creators update 1709

Both of my laptops cpu usage is at 1%, 90% of the time. I only have this window open and I can hear my laptops fan just humming away. Before it never happened. No process is using much of any type of resource. Its very annoying.

Highlighted
haris-bukhari
What's DOS?
Views: 1,559
Message 4 of 5

I am experiencing the same problem with my y700. However as soon as press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open up the task manager, the fan speed slowly starts to get normal. Closing the task manager brings about the same fan (100% speed) problem. I havn't been able to find the fix either.

nightfever
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,127
Message 5 of 5

Sorry to bump this thread again.

I do have the same issue. My Y720 fans are constantly blowing at about 25% when my laptop is idle and CPU tempartures are about 35°. And it's doing so since I installed the fall creators update.

As this is really annoying to me, I consider to revert back to Win 8.1. I will report then.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors