Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
802.11n

What's your flavor?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I would like to open this thread regarding customization and how we get the best out of our computers for everyday use.

What themes for windows 7 do you use? What programs? Wallpapers? Can we share with each other opinions and suggestions?

I can start with some of my favorite programs, the first programs I install after installing windows:

Antivirus: AVIRA, free. IMO the best free antivirus. Light and very efficient. I feel very protected with it! Smiley Happy

Video player: VLC. Plays almost every video codec and uses very well the resources of my x120e. First thing I do after installing VLC I go to: Tools/Preferences, than Input and codecs, and tick use GPU acceleration. This enable the capabilities of my laptop to play smoothly 1080p videos.

Audio player: iTunes. A bit heavy, but very good in organizing and playing my collection.

Dj Mix software: Mixxx. Free software, and works beautifully with a lot of controllers and possibilities. Mix like a pro Smiley Happy

Internet browser: Google chrome. Light and fast. I prefer it more than firefox because it is light on the cpu and the fan is never overloaded.

Dock bar: Rocket dock. Very happy with it. It is fast, light and beautiful. Very handy to fast open your software.

Windows Explorer replacement: Total Commander. A powerful utility, two side browser, and a lot of integrated utilities. 

Picture viewer: Picasa (from Google). Interesting way of managing photo albums. And attractive way of displaying photos.

Photo slides: Photo story. I fell in love with this software from windows since I installed for the first time windows XP. Now it works in windows 7 too. A very elegant way of preparing slideshows for fun or work.

This is only a small list, just to start. I intend update it little by little. If you would like, share something with us. We can make our experience with our TP more fascinating Smiley Happy

Thanks to anyone

abvasili

Update 1:

Torrent: µTorrent (micro torrent). It's really tiny, but does the work beautifully. Anyone should have this.

Codecs: k-lite_codec_pack. To make sure your windows 7 will play every kind of audio or video files you can install .

Tag editor: Tag&rename. To manage all your audio files, rename albums, add cover art to your songs you can use this program. Very powerful software, with a lot of tools to easily edit audio tags of your collection.

Update 2:

Audio player (2): Media monkey. Fast and full featured. You can browse your computer in a tree view, and play your files.

Picture viewer and light editing: FastStone Image Viewer. Very very fast and light.

Video player (2): KMPlayer. Highly customizable, plays a lot of video and audio format as well. Light on resources.

Office Suite: LibreOffice. A MS office replacement. A very good one... and it's Libre Smiley Happy

Update 3:

MP3 Tag editor (free): Mp3tag. Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags.

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
Topics: 19
Kudos: 390
Solutions: 164

Re: What's your flavor?

Hello,

I like using Autohotkey for automation tasks on my ThinkPads. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Topics: 106
Kudos: 159
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 123

Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials,Eset 

Video player: VLC

Audio player:  WMP player for windows and Banshee in Linux

Dj Mix software:  Aaudacity 

Internet browser: Google chrome 

Dock bar:  Cairo dock in Linux 

Windows Explorer replacement: None

Picture viewer: Picassa ,Fspot in Linux

Photo slides: None

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Guru

For me

Antivirus: ESET / Symantec

Video / Audio Player: Windows Media Player 

Internet Browser: Google Chrome (Firefox for video downloading, flashgot as addon. IE for compatibility)

Torrent: utorrent (same as yours, abvasili) Smiley Very Happy

Codec Pack: Combined Community Codec Pack

Cleanup Tool: CCleaner (free and solid)

Defrag: PerfectDisk (solid performer, does great job)

Others: Paragon Alignment Tools (for XP or older OS), Windows Vista auto-align partition for optimal performance

Happy 2012! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Serial Port

[ Edited ]

Video Player: DIVX > Best picture and sound on my system.

Both offline and in my browser.

http://www.divx.com/en

Blows away Adobe flash.

0 Kudos

Nice input JWBlue Smiley Happy
I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
802.11n
0 Kudos

Update number two. See the first post.

Have a great day.

abvasili

802.11n
0 Kudos

Hi, Update three.

Now all the software names have their own link where you can read for more information and download.

Cheers!

abvasili