US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 31 of 470

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade fulfillment discussion

2009-11-19, 5:08 AM

duckys20 wrote:

Just received my upgrade disc TODAY.  Comes in non-descript padded envelope, TWO discs... one DVD upgrade disc, one supplemental CD (~200mb).  COA license on CD cover.

Was this for a ThinkPad, an ideaPad, a Value Line or a ThinkStation?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

77 Posts

08-24-2009

CA

105 Signins

727 Page Views

• Views: 727
  • Message 32 of 470

2009-11-19, 6:37 AM

Hi JaneL,

Its for a Thinkstation S20, and looks like it arrived even before UPS updated the delivery status.

Options

3 Posts

10-31-2009

San Jose

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 33 of 470

2009-11-19, 7:03 AM

Submited POP on Sep 21, sent an inquiry on Oct 27 and just received a reply today (Nov 18 = 3 weeks from inquiry) that they are "currently taking approximately 10 days to provide individual email responses" and cannot reply to me yet.

So in summary, it has been 8 weeks, close to 2 months, after I submitted all the required doucments, and still no upgrade disc.

And their "improved" communication = letting me know, 3 weeks after I enquired, that they don't have time to reply to my enquiry.

Lenovo has really dropped the ball and this one and I will not even consider this brand when I get my next computer.  And I will let everyone I know about my experience.

My order # is LENOVO026XXXX Idea Pad / G530 series

Options

7 Posts

11-12-2009

UK

21 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 34 of 470

2009-11-19, 8:57 AM

Well. It says "shipped" now. Forgive me if I don't get excited.

The tracking number does not work.

In the email sent to me by Mentor, they said that the tracking number may not work for 1 or 2 business days. So, in my mind, "shipped" means "Put in mail bag. Waiting for next available pigeon" and not "in the post".

Still no response to the email I sent them about the order god knows how many days ago...

Every one of my posts on this forum is about the failure of the "Free" Windows 7 upgrade program. You too can experience it: go to www.lenovo.com/windows7
Options

28 Posts

11-09-2009

New York

56 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 35 of 470

2009-11-19, 15:37 PM

A couple more thoughts after reading the original enormous thread and more of this message board, regarding Windows 7 upgrade fulfillment:

1) Wow, there are more posts here from disgruntled customers than there are useful hints and tips about using Windows 7.

2) I really don't understand the Lenovo fans who say, "Don't blame Lenovo, blame Mentor/Microsoft/etc."  Isn't the Upgrade offer from Lenovo?  Why do I care who they choose to use for fulfillment.

3) It makes me laugh when engineers quote Microsoft licensing terms like they are written on stone tablets from god.  Specifically, anyone with Google can figure out how to install the retail version, re-arm a few times, and then use the Lenovo key when it arrives (if it arrives?).  But, they are admonished by the same fangirls and fanboys that they are violating the terms of the license.  Ha ha ha.  You are totally wrong.

4) Why don't people exercise their rights as consumers?  If you were charged for something that never shipped, and those were the terms, you don't have to pay.  Period.

Options

8 Posts

11-02-2009

NY

24 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 36 of 470

2009-11-19, 16:49 PM

Mark/JaneL,

As said before, the order fulfillment for the Idea series should begin from November 16,2009. But so far there are no updates on those lines. Could you please update on what's the current agenda?

Thanks!

Options

28 Posts

07-10-2008

Amsterdam, NL, EU

60 Signins

590 Page Views

• Views: 590
  • Message 37 of 470

2009-11-19, 19:43 PM

I've been waiting for my WIndows 7 copy for ages now. So long even that I started using one from 'the wild', so to speak. Thinking of that made me wonder:

Why don't you just simply spread some iso via bittorrent, like everybody else does. Doesn't cost you any shipment or package-material nobody ever uses, and people can burn the iso themselves. Bam, done in a day or two.

The only thing you then need to do is send those entitled to it some product activation code or whatever is required to activate the Windows 7 on your lenovo.

Oh and PS: Start supporting Windows XP x64 Edition, it's widely used, still, by professionals like me, and it's way better than Windows 7 or Vista or XP x86.

Options

4 Posts

11-18-2009

Chicago, USA

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 38 of 470

2009-11-19, 21:46 PM

Hoping someone can answer this.

My Order Status says "Order Registration Confirmed...Pending Payment Completion"

My Payment Status shows "Pending Deduction"

I entered all the necessary payment & shipping information (credit card number, shipping address, etc.) when I registered for the upgrade, so I don't understand what the holdup is.

On a side note, my company was thinking about switching from Dell to another supplier and asked for owners of HP/Compaq and Lenovo laptops for their input since we can compare the Dell machines we have for work with our personal machines.  Let's just say I was tickled this morning when I was chosen for the purchasing committee and that this "wonderful" experience gets to impact Lenovo to the tune of about 12,000 lost orders.  Karma is awesome!

Options

23 Posts

04-28-2009

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

69 Signins

810 Page Views

• Views: 810
  • Message 39 of 470

2009-11-20, 4:12 AM

Why don't you just simply spread some iso via bittorrent, like everybody else does. Doesn't cost you any shipment or package-material nobody ever uses, and people can burn the iso themselves. Bam, done in a day or two.
The only thing you then need to do is send those entitled to it some product activation code or whatever is required to activate the Windows 7 on your lenovo.

Microsoft has strict licensing terms. What that means is that not everybody is entitled to an upgrade, you have to qualify for it. And the upgrade isn't just the "iso", or the key, but the license (i.e. the rights to use the OS) that comes with it. That's why-once they know you qualify-they have to send you a new COA that you also have to stick under/on your computer.

Oh and PS: Start supporting Windows XP x64 Edition, it's widely used, still, by professionals like me, and it's way better than Windows 7 or Vista or XP x86.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a beast of its own when it comes to drivers. It uses a 64-bit vesion of WDM, while newer driver models were developped for Windows Vista, i.e. KMDF & UMDF (Kernel & User-mode driver frameworks). Actually, it doesn't depend on Lenovo in the first place, but their suppliers. Since Vista was coming, and Windows XP Pro x64 was never to be a retail version, and thus to remain an on-demand OS, many went straight to developing drivers for the next retail version of Windows, namely Windows Vista. And Lenovo probably decided Windows XP Pro x64 wasn't a viable market, so they choose not to offer the OS and thus never had to put forth the efforts (or ask their suppliers to) to have drivers developped for it.

OS support means the OEM offers machines with the OS installed and ensure drivers are available and updated through the life-cycle of the OS. They never sold you a machine with Windows XP Pro x64 installed, so don't expect them to ever support the OS, even less so late in the game (license availability for Windows XP Pro x64 ended January 31, 2009.) If Windows XP Pro x64 is so great, why then do you need Lenovo to support it anyway?

--
ThinkPad T400 (2764-CTO): Windows 7 64 SP2 / T9400 2.53 GHz / 8GB RAM / 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) / ATI Radeon HD 3470 + Intel 4500MHD (switchable) / 320GB 7200rpm / DVD±RW / Intel WiFi 5300
Past models: T40 (2373-PM1), 760C; other brands
Options

51 Posts

11-09-2009

USA

202 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Views: 1542
  • Message 40 of 470

2009-11-20, 4:59 AM

Well, fair being fair, I will note that I got a ship notice this evening, mailed late today, from Mentor Media.

This is for a G530.  As far as Jane's queries as to what 'line' of Lenovo anyone is talking about, who can tell?  There seem to be even two different nomenclatures for G530s themselves - 3000 G530 and G530 4446 NNU where NN is some varying number.

Mentor says delivery will be in 3-5 days, hence before or after Thanksgiving. They do say the tracking  numbers won't work for 1-2 days.  There does seem to be a joint tracking site where UPS and USPS acknowledge they share responsibility.

Based on past experience with USPS tracking, I won't hear anything useful until well after the package is delivered, or is supposed to be delivered, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, Mark 'Lenovo' has admitted that the downloadable BIOS updates are not correct, even the one that mostly is. Maybe we'll get something done about that, I do wonder what they're shipping with the install disks, since the supposedly later BIOS doesn't work much at all, and the earlier-dated one that does pretty much work also causes minute-long hangs every time you boot the laptop.

More when more is available.

Regards,

Narrlenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete