US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 51 of 470

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade fulfillment discussion

2009-11-20, 17:30 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

2 Posts

11-21-2009

Memphis, TN, USA

35 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 52 of 470

2009-11-21, 5:05 AM

I have two separate orders - one on Oct 4 and another on October 29.  My status has been "Order Registration Confirmed.  Pending Payment Completion" for weeks now.  Does anyone know what this means?

One is for an IdeaPad and the other is for an IdeaCentre, if that is relevant.

Options

1 Posts

11-21-2009

Rocky Mountains

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 53 of 470

2009-11-21, 5:12 AM

I bought a Lenovo Y550 within the upgrade period for Windows 7. My wife bought a Dell several weeks later with the same Windows 7 upgrade option. My upgrade was order two weeks before my wife order hers from Dell. I have yet to recieve the upgrade discs but Dell managed to get them to my wife in about a week. I had to pay $17 shipping and handling, my wife paid nothing. It took my wife about 5 minutes to order her upgrade; I had to copy and send proof of purchase, even when I bought direct from Lenovo.

While my computer is considerably more powerful, I spent nearly twice as much but feel I am recieving much less service - never mind I had to send my computer back for a new hard drive after about a month of ownership. I chose the Lenovo because side-by-side the Lenovo was about $100 cheeper then Dell but with the cost of upgrading to Windows 7 that margin gets smaller.

The delay is supposedly because of unexpected demand. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the a very large percent of those who ordered during the "free" upgrade period would want to upgrade to Windows 7 considering how well recieved Windows 7 is compared to Vista.

Maybe those that have had to wait should get the upgrade S&H free. I mean, I wouldn't want Dell to make Lenovo look bad.

Options

28 Posts

11-09-2009

New York

56 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 54 of 470

2009-11-21, 18:16 PM

Same experience, my new wife has a Dell.  I made jokes to her about why Dell is nothing like ThinkPad.  But, her disc arrived in 2 days!  Mine is no where to be found, I upgraded one of my laptops with a retail copy out of frustration.  Another one is upgraded with the same retail copy and not activated, and will be when I eventually get the license key from my $17.03 "free upgrade" from Lenovo.

Oh, and for anyone's information, contrary to many erroneous posts on this board about licensing terms of Microsoft Windows, you are fully entitled to upgrade your machine using a retail DVD and the OEM license later, from a legal perspective. 

Options

15 Posts

07-18-2009

USA

22 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 55 of 470

2009-11-21, 18:27 PM

Mark said: "We have requested Mentor to do a comparison of the email distribution lists against the master file and identify any missed addresses and we will be following up in the next several days."

On 11/16/09 I received an email from Mentor which had this as the subject: Read: Registration No.: LENOVO_(several letters and numbers)

And that's all there was.  The message area itself was blank.  I replied, asking what this was supposed to mean.  Surprisingly, I received a response, which said:

Dear Customer,

I don’t see which message you are referring to. Can you please resend?

Thank you,

CSO-US3

I replied that that was the problem, there was no message.  So far, I've received no other reply.

So what was Mentor trying to say?  And why does every day seem to bring yet another example of how messed up Lenovo's upgrade process has turned out to be?

Options

192 Posts

07-30-2009

NL

979 Signins

3811 Page Views

• Views: 3811
  • Message 56 of 470

2009-11-21, 21:45 PM

My disk set actually arived today. I have to admit that I am a tad disappointed though. The upgrade is not a true Lenovo product but a actually regular Windows 7 disk + a disk basically containing System Update 4.0. Both are labeled Lenovo but in essence that's where the Lenovo part stops.

So, in short, no real preload, no service partition, no rescue and recovery, no wallpapers, nothing. Just a bog standard W7 OEM version + system update 4.0

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Options

51 Posts

11-09-2009

USA

202 Signins

1542 Page Views

• Views: 1542
  • Message 57 of 470

2009-11-22, 0:19 AM

The funny thing is that according the Great Atlas of Lenovo Types, my G530 is apparently an laptop in an Idea or Value Line (or 3000 line?) class.  Which I think are also said to be the same class, but who can be sure?

I got the same silence as anyone else, and then a few days ago started to get changes on my update page. No emails. Then I got an email saying it would be 3-4 weeks more, which means Christmas, and it is probably my post you read on that.

A day or two after the delay email, suddenly my update page said my upgrade was shipping, and then soon an email arrived giving tracking information. I haven't said anything since while waiting for the tracking to work, but today it does, and it seems the item is literally in my metro area, so may possibly be waiting when I get home.

Thus, there seems to be hope Mentor and Lenovo will actually meet their first delayed schedule, shipment from 16 Nov for these lines.

I am wondering what will be in the package, due to the BIOS issues for the G530. It's a bit scary to mess with them, but I did it and found that made an off-the-shelf Windows 7 work, along with adding the Lenovo download drivers and replacement parts. It all depends that you download those from the right place, as there are two (!) Lenovo sites with different downloads.

I will not say more as I am not by Jane allowed ot say anything 'technical' here, and I have been loath to suggest anyone try this self-upgrade in the first place, due to the extremely inconsistent and confusing information on various Lenovo forums regarding G530/Windows 7.

I would wait for your disks, and see how it goes.  To make it clear why I say this, if anything goes wrong in replacing the BIOS or etc., you are likely to put your whole machine in an unrecoverable condition. I don't know what it would cost to have Lenovo fix it then, as it's probably not covered by warranty if you arbitrarily make changes yourself other than their recommended ones.

I will say that Windows 7 itself feels to be pretty nice. When Lenovo gets a BIOS to us so that we don't have a full minute wait for G530s to begin to boot up - entirely dark screen for that period -- and when they tell us for sure what that proper BIOS is and how to assure proper install, I think we'll all have something.

Regards.

Options

43 Posts

10-28-2009

CHI

227 Signins

930 Page Views

• Views: 930
  • Message 58 of 470

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade fulfillment discussion (should be downloaded :manmad:

2009-11-22, 2:39 AM

How come this is not just a simple download option. They want more for shipping and handling than I paid to get the laptop shipped :manmad: $30 to ship, I must be missing something. How is this free? It was less than $15 to get my laptop shipped, And then its 2-3 weeks ship time for something that's only coming(4 miles) from the next town over from Chicago, its just poor customer service. When I update my servers I get that done online, why should this be different. Does the company not make as much money as on laptops as servers? Had I known this in advance I would have waited or bought another brand. AnotHer comPter company is sending out the upgrades for less than $5. Hmmm

kinda makes me wonder. Lenovo is rated bottom on the list of tech support and repair by consumer reports in December issue. I now know why. I think it is a very good computer though, but I also know how to work on computers, for an average consumer its not the one.

I am just kinda disgusted, I don't even need the the media- just the numbers. Do ya think they could help me on that. Yeaa right

Andrew

Options

3965 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 59 of 470

2009-11-21, 19:13 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

77 Posts

08-24-2009

CA

105 Signins

727 Page Views

• Views: 727
  • Message 60 of 470

2009-11-22, 4:32 AM

Lenovo isnt really that great with selling products, and their support isnt great either.  Took me a month of being nice, gave up, then one day of using a bit more *persuasive* language to get things moving on a missing part order.

But if you happen to get the think family of products, (and once you get through Lenovo), support through IBM is truly world class.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete