Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Windows 7

More of an FYI than a question...

I've been running Windows 7 (release candidate build 7100) on an ideapad U110 for 2 weeks now, and it is great!  The install takes a looooong time (via the USB DVD drive), but it finds all the drivers automatically, with no need to download anything separately.

Speed wise, it is a lot faster than Vista which came with the machine (boot up is about 30 seconds total).  When idle, the task manager is reporting a baseline of 5-600MB of RAM usage, compared to over 1GB in Vista (business).  On a 3GB machine, this makes a huge difference in speed.  Programs load a lot faster, and so far no compatibility issues with any software.  Battery life also seems to be improved a bit, due to better power management.

For anyone sitting on the fence regarding windows 7, go for it, you will not regret it.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: Windows 7

I have been using Windows 7 RC on U110 as well. And yes I found it boots a lot faster than Vista, after installing the Energy Management Software basically I got everything working including the on screen display of touch-sensitive keys like volume up/down/mute, etc.

I would recommend everyone to upgrade ot Windows 7 if possible.

Punch Card
0 Kudos

I couldn't get slidebar or Lenovo Desktop Navigator to work on windows 7. I get errors. Other than that I love it.
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Yea I currently use windows 7 rc on my desktop and its awesome.  Just wondering, did you guys format your hardrive then install RC 1 or did you just "Upgrade" it?
Punch Card
0 Kudos

Installing Windows 7 RC 7137 on my new U330. Didn't like VIsta at all with it's slow start-up time. will update with results.

ps, i'm doing a custom "clean" install with the CD drive.

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

I'm running 7127 x64 on my X200s at the moment. Have to sya it's much better than Vista. I was using all the Vista drivers and had everything working (Hotkey included... that needed some coaxing!) but now that there are Windows7-specific versions out, that should make it significantly easier.

Wondering if I should install 7137 or wait until the next leaked release.. Smiley Tongue