Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 9 (24,115 Views)

ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 on windows 7

[ Edited ]

is there a driver for the w500 with video card ATI Mobility FireGL V5700??

I have updrade my Windows vista ultimate to Windows 7... the only problem is the driver of the video card ???

I have look up to ATI website and the drivers found there  9-9_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe (

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver, version 9,9  release date 9/9/2009)

the drivers are not supported by my w500

any ideas? Any drivers ???

802.11n
Message 2 of 9 (24,077 Views)

Re: ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 on windows 7

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 9 (23,539 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion on trying IBM's Win 7 beta drivers. I downloaded the "ATI Display Driver for Windows 7 32bit and 64bit", unzipped and installed it. The install process went smoothly, all the way down to the end where I clicked the "Finish" button and it says it installed.

Now what? The new driver doesn't seem to load. There's no suggestion to reboot, though I tried that anyway and it didn't make any difference. There are no icons in the system tray like I had before wiping Vista off and installing Win7, and there are no configuration or utilities like I had before. There's nothing different after running the install. Windows Update says everything's up to date, and the Control Panel options say I'm running the latest driver.

I have a T60p with an ATI FireGL V5250 card. Although the machine is running on Win7, since the switch from Vista the screen colors are dark and flat and I can't get back to a decent looking screen again. I'm a photographer and this is my digital darkroom, so it's a serious problem.

Thanks for your help.

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 9 (23,531 Views)

did you try this driver?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=WIN7-BETA#m8xswitch

and you enabled switchable graphics option in BIOS? and switchable graphic driver for win7 64bit installed too?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 5 of 9 (23,512 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion, but I end up with exactly the same result after installing that: It goes through to the end and shows that ATI Catalyst Install Manager version 3.0.736.0 is sucessfully installed, but nothing changes. There's nothing new to run under the start button, no icon in the system tray indicating that the ATI drivers and utilities are there, same dark and ugly screen.

By the way, I am on a 32 bit machine.

I checked my BIOS settings, did not find any option for "switchable graphics."

Any more suggestions? I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I've gone through the whole process of downloading and installing these drivers from the IBM/Lenovo BETA page three times. It always says "Success" but nothing changes.

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 9 (23,502 Views)

make sure you have the latest BIOS

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 7 of 9 (23,423 Views)

I do have all the latest BIOS updates from Lenovo, as well as all the Windows updates. Note that my actual video card is the ATI Mobility FireGL V5250, not the V5700 mentioned in the header.

I bought the retail DVD of Win7 Home Premium, and did a complete fresh install of Win7, not an overlay on top of Vista. Ever since then, the laptop's screen won't come back to the same brightness I had before. The Fn brightness up/down controls work, but just take the screen from dim to REALLY dim. If I plug in an external monitor, that looks fine--just as bright as the laptop screen used to look.

I've drilled down into Control Panel to get to the gamma adjustments. I can make adjustments there, but every variation makes things worse instead of better.

Since the Win7 conversion, I've lost the ATI Catalyst utiities. I've tried installing the ATI drivers from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=WIN7-BETA#m8xdiscret... . That item says it installs successfully, but there's nothing on the start menu, nothing loaded to the system tray, nothing different, no improvement. I can't figure out how to get to the ATI software with all the screen adustments like I used to have.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Guru
Message 8 of 9 (23,418 Views)

When I was running W7 RC1 on my T60p (V5200 GPU) I was using a Vista driver with no issues.

I'm not aware if there's an updated version for W7, but am tempted to say no.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 9 of 9 (23,348 Views)

George,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I downloaded the Vista driver from

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Legacy/Pages/fire_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.3&product=2.4.3.3... 

I saved it and ran the install. Every step of that install process went fine. At the end, the log shows that there were no errors. However, nothing changes, nothing's different, there are no utilities to run in the system tray, no ATI programs listed under the Start button, and the folder where I tell it to install the drivers to (C:\Program Files\

ATI Technologies\Vista) is completely empty. And my screen is still dark.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. At the end of that process, I'd either expect to have error messages or find a folder of ATI programs somewhere on the Start menu, but noting gets installed.

I'm semi-technical, and other people rely on me for hardware and software tech support, but this just has me baffled--why the screen's dark after switching to Win7, and why this driver installation process (all 5 times I've tried it) goes nowhere.

Suggestions?