07-22-2011 09:01 PM
Hello. I have a icon on the control panel with no name, which I'd like to delete. You've seen it - It's the icon when you have no program associated with that particular type of file. I performed online research the past few days and the closest I came to identifying a remedy is: search for all the .cpl files and delete the offending one. Except, it's difficult (impossible so far) to identify the correct one because, as I indicated, it has no name.
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-22-2011 10:52 PM
To determine non-functioning Control Panel item, use these steps:
* Click Start, Control Panel
* Right-click the invalid icon and choose Create Shortcut
* Click Yes when you see the following dialog:
Windows cannot create a shortcut here.
Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?
* In the Desktop, right-click the newly created shortcut and choose Properties
* Click the Change Icon button. You'll then see the actual CPL file name in the resulting dialog.
* Using the CPL file name, you should be able to trace the respective application. If that application has already been uninstalled.
07-26-2011 09:21 PM
It sounds as though your Display settings were changed. You might want to look for an update for your video card driver on the Manufacturers site (or Dell, Compaq etc) if you have a brand name computer. The number of Icons are not limited.
08-09-2011 09:06 PM - edited 08-09-2011 09:07 PM
I found it. First, thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out to be the Lenovo Factory Recovery Disk application, which I uninstalled after creating the discs and then deleting the service partition. Go figure. I never did eliminate the dead icon; but, simply reinstalled the application. I'll follow-up if I figure out how to remove the icon before uninstalling it again. Cheers,
03-26-2012 07:54 AM
(You only see it_noname item when you choose option Control Panel "display as a menu" in Start menu option)
I found in my PC is (Windows 7 - 64bits):
@="Intel® WiFi Connection Utility"
and the other has noname
After delete these key, the noname item in control panel has remove