Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

30 Posts

05-16-2008

Canada

23 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 1 of 4

6.5 hours of microsoft telephone support = worse off than before calling

2008-05-25, 5:14 AM
I wish I was just exagerating, but I called them today at 9:00am and was on the phone with them until 3:30pm.  After moving to VISTA SP1, I noticed that my X61 could no longer see the three XP machines on my home network.  After hours of fiddling around, I noticed that MS was kindly offering free support calls related to SP1.  So, I thought it would be a quick fix. 

Not only did they never figure out the problem, they also basically destroyed my OS.  When they were done, I had no antivirus, no adobe support, groove was gone and worst of all, the computer no longer was indexing for search.  I tried to find some way of getting indexing back, including reconfiguring services and the registry, installing a newer version of windows search, but every approach failed. 

As I write this, I am going through a full recovery, thanks to the handy Thinkpad recovery partition.  Luckily, I've got pretty much all my documents backed up.

I think what amazed me most about MS's support, was that they really didn't live up to the level of tech support I expect from my own company, let along the maker of Vista.  The support guys just didn't seem to know there stuff or at least know enough to say that they were out of their depth or plain stumped.  They kept telling me that they were moments away from solving the problem. 
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: 6.5 hours of microsoft telephone support = worse off than before calling

2008-05-26, 2:44 AM
MS support has been horrible in the early days of XP as well...and that's probably an understatement of the millenium...but look at it on the bright side:

a) Such horrible support really makes you learn everything about tweaking your OS, just for the sake of never having to deal with them ever again. or:
b) Gets you to explore alternative operating systems, such as Linux and other hardware/software combos (Mac), therefore broadening your knowledge and deepening your understanding of computing at no extra charge...:smileywink:

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

30 Posts

05-16-2008

Canada

23 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-05-26, 10:50 AM
You're right George.  I'm seriously considering a switch to Ubuntu.  I've switched a few other machines over.  The O/S is quite solid, but I find the applications are often not quite ready for prime time.  But I might play with the idea of Ubuntu plus a virtual xp session to run OneNote in.  Also, I'm studying at the moment and the study teams use Groove for coodination and file management.  I think even with a virtual session, I wouldn't find Groove to be working very well.

Anyways, yesterday, someone from microsoft called me back to ask if the problem got resolved.  When I told him I was reinstalling the OS, he asked if I wanted any help or to spend any time complaining to his manager.  It sounds to me like these Microsoft phone support teams are getting paid by the call minute.  I couldn't convince this guy that there was absolutely nothing I could imagine his service doing beside making things worse and ultimately, I just had to hang up on him.  They are extremely persistent.  Too bad that energy isn't focused on being extremely good or at least extremely self-aware of their limitations.
Options

55 Posts

05-02-2008

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

57 Signins

994 Page Views

• Views: 994
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-05-29, 14:36 PM
I could have worked on the XP support desk in Missisauga but chose not to...experienced techs do not want to work in a callcenter.  That's what you're calling you know...that level of support has to be expected from ANY contact centre due to the working environment...the pay rate wasn't that great either.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms