Options

25 Posts

10-29-2009

Malta

29 Signins

262 Page Views

• Views: 262
  • Message 1 of 6

Advantage of Lenovo drivers/applications over Windows 7?

2009-11-07, 16:09 PM

As operating systems mature there is less of a requirement for OEM drivers and applications. Many of the drivers/applications are designed for corporate customers specifically .e.g to give them a consistent interface across operating system versions and for other reasons that would not benefit an individual user. My windows 7 install works fine without any lenovo drivers.

I know some drivers/applications offer increased performance and stability, but which ones? Some are obvious e.g. Ultranav utilty allows you to programme your ultranv to a greater degree than the standard driver. But what about the fingerprint driver for example? Why should we install it? It would be valuable if we knew through the driver/application readme's exactly what advantage they gave over standard windows 7. If anyone who has installed any of the below packages can comment on what the advantage is over over windows 7, I think it would help many people. Please add others to the list if neccessary.

1. Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows 7
  2. Conexant Audio Software for Windows 7
  3. Integrated camera
  4. Intel GM45 Display Driver for Windows 7
  5. Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows 7
  6. Intel Wireless LAN (11bgn) for Windows 7
  7. Lenovo Fingerprint Software for Windows 7
  8. Lenovo System Interface Driver for Windows7
  9. Thinkvantage Access Connections for Windows 7
Options

40 Posts

09-23-2009

Vienna

69 Signins

719 Page Views

• Views: 719
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Advantage of Lenovo drivers/applications over Windows 7?

2009-11-07, 17:23 PM

If i remember correctly, without the Conex. Audio Driver, you would alsways be on your Integrated Speakers, not on the Headset/Speakers you plug in.

(Conex driver switches to plugged-in as soon as you plug it in, else it stays on the integrated speakers)

Also, there's no Fingerprint driver IN Windows 7, so you need the one Lenovo gives you.

Hope this helps

Options

35 Posts

11-11-2008

US

41 Signins

423 Page Views

• Views: 423
  • Message 3 of 6

2009-11-09, 19:32 PM

For Access Connections, here's my list of user benefits over the embedded OS functions, noting that substantial work was done on all of the ThinkVantage tools for Win7 to minimize and performance or boot time hit and make them more stable.

- More visual interface

- Better connectivity information

- Single interface for WiFi, ethernet, WAN, etc.

- Auto switch for wired & wireless (fastest available network - e.g. wired and wireless can be handled in a single profile)

- Integrated profiles for printers, browser favorites, security and more

- Launch Programs associated with profiles (your VPN, instant messaging, etc.)

There are many IT benefits to Access Connections that are still very valid for Win7 - pretty much all the TVT's have that story

Options

39 Posts

10-28-2009

Austin, TX

67 Signins

648 Page Views

• Views: 648
  • Message 4 of 6

2009-11-10, 4:50 AM

For what it's worth, Access Connections caused a lot of problems for me on Vista.  Loooooong sleep/resume times, slow, and sometimes the program would freeze.  AC will be one TVT that I am not reinstalling with 7.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Options

167 Posts

11-29-2007

Lenovo Campus in Morrisville, NC

239 Signins

1539 Page Views

• Views: 1539
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-11-10, 15:15 PM

From a technical support view point,  Lenovo supports it's own drivers on it's own machines. Issues with non-lenovo drivers cannot be fixed, as Lenovo does not own the drivers.

Terry

Win 7 development

Lenovo enterprise systems expert

Options

33 Posts

11-09-2009

New York

56 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 6 of 6

2009-11-22, 11:31 AM

For most of them, I would agree in principle that there is no difference, but smarter minds would need to weigh in.

For example:

Fingerprint - The Lenovo stores fingerprints in secured hardware, correct?  So, pure Windows driver may lose this feature.

System Interface - This gives you the on-screen-green display of volume, etc., so if you don't care about that, I guess don't install.

Access Connections - I regularly use docking station, and can set up a mixed profile with WiFi and GigE, and it always works correctly.  I don't want to mess with removing it, since there seems to be no drawback to using it.

System Update - My Dells don't have any comparable service, and looking for packages by hand is a pain.

Overall, I tested my system with Windows 7 "raw" and then installed the Lenovo packages.  I see virtually no speed degradation.  I would advise anyone to just use the Lenovo utilities, they are what set apart the computer vs. some generic brands.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete