09-19-2008

U.S.

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 6

Brand New Tseries, freezes constantly.

2008-09-19, 3:48 AM
I receieved my Tseries laptop about a week ago and every time I've used it it freezes (can still move mouse and minimize applications, but they won't respond.)  It happens 5 or so times a day and appears to happen randomly.  I'm thinking it may be a Vista problem.  I've looked around online but havent been able to find an answer that works.  I'd love to be able to use my brand new laptop, but it never works for long before I need to restart!
Options

1185 Posts

11-20-2007

Iowa, USA

1820 Signins

37095 Page Views

• Views: 37095
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Brand New Tseries, freezes constantly.

2008-09-19, 11:12 AM

Sometimes the preload OS is messed up. I would try backing up your important data and restoring the system. To do this press the Thinkvantage button during system startup and select recover to factory condition. At some point you can choose "Custom Recovery" where you can choose not to install some components if you so desire.

How much memory do you have? Vista likes as much memory as you can throw at it.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Options

339 Posts

01-20-2008

Canada

316 Signins

6645 Page Views

• Views: 6645
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-09-20, 1:07 AM

Remove all Norton products. If necessary, upgrade to Norton 2009.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080917/symantec-rewrites-its-security-suite-to-curb-nuisances/

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Options

10 Posts

09-21-2008

Beaverton, Oregon (USA)

7 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-09-21, 3:47 AM

OMG,

Thank god someone else is having the same issues as me (not that I am happy that you are having isses but that it’s more than just my laptop). My laptop is brand new and is as follows

Vista Ultimate SP1

Core 2 T9300

4 gigs memory

Intel Turbo memory

Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M

NOT using Norton (and no I don’t have a virus)

All Drivers are updated

I have had the same issues with my laptop “freezing” up and not responding. It is only a partial freeze though and I can still click on the start menu and do the CTRL + ALT + DEL and try and restart. The problem is that most of the time I try and do anything else while the one program is frozen (as in clicking another program or trying to shut down the frozen one) then everything freezes and the computer will not recover unless I shut down the power by holding the power button. I have notice two things, 1 – it always freezes when it is NOT connected to a power supply (running from battery) and 2 – it is not related to any one program of software. I have had it happen to Word and to windows programs. Now it wasn’t much of an issue until one day I corrupted a windows startup file that I was unable to recover from. A complete reformat was needed to correct it and when I called Lenovo for support all I was told (Rudely) “we do not cover software issues” and they weren’t even interested in listening to the issues I was having. I almost jumped off a bridge because I lost days of un-recoverable work that I spent 2 weeks trying to recover and replace. Rather disappointed since Lenovo has a good rating with consumer reports. I now run Acronis and do a regular backup on a daily basis. I do this because my laptop continuously freezes and sometimes it won’t start back up and I have to reinstall windows again (this has happened at least 5 times in the several months I have owned my laptop).  Since this issue has started I warned my company about the issue and the way that tech support just blew me off. Rather sad for Lenovo because we were looking to upgrade all of our employees to laptops and ended up purchasing them through Dell. (No problems so far)

If anyone has any thought as to a fix for this it would be a tremendous help since I have already devoted hours of my life to fixing this problem.

Options

10 Posts

09-21-2008

Beaverton, Oregon (USA)

7 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-09-21, 4:21 AM

Hey man,

found this and it looks promising! go Here--> http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=16933

Options

2 Posts

09-19-2008

U.S.

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-09-23, 16:40 PM

I registered my Microsoft Office 2007 online (You can only use it 30 or so times before doing so) and havent had a problem since.  I'm not entirely convinced that that's the reason it was having issues, but hey, as long as it's working.

Good luck to everyone else...I looked around online and it seems like a lot of people are having problems with Vista freezing but everyone seems to have a different solution.

Thanks for the help!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete