Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

05-07-2014

France

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 1

G500 win8.1 window updates failing to install.

2014-05-07, 7:24 AM

I recently purchased a Lenovo G500 in France (intel I7 2.2 ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb) with Windows 8.1 as the OS, and just got the Internet back last wednesday, so April 30th.

Since then, I've had a total 3 microsoft updates, which in and of itself is not terribly interesting, except that two of these three updates have failed, leading to the following message: 

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer"

Obviously in French, but that's the translation I got anyway. 

So here's my question: How often does this happen? Microsoft's site tells me to wait for about 30 minutes while it resolves, but the first time it took me close to an hour (and after the 3rd restart after it showed me this, I manually turned it off after it shut down and then it installed properly). The second update worked fine and I had no problems (albeit it took well over 30 minutes to install though), yet the third (this morning) also failed to install (but this time it took less than 30 minutes, although I noticed it froze on the lenovo screen after a restart, where the "loading" circles didn't show up, although I don't know after which restarted this occurred, as I had left it to run its course while I ate breakfast). 

Now that I think about it, the first update error occurred after a system error which required a restart (cause unkown, some kind of error along the lines of 0x0000000A, but I found nothing I I'm guessing I didn't see correctly), and last night I noticed my laptop had frozen when I close it, so I manually shut it down. Coincidence? The second update worked fine, and it was the only time I had maually selected restart and update, so this could be a plausible theory, although I have no idea why it froze last night. Maybe I closed it too quickly after closing chrome (although I have no idea why this would cause a freeze...). 

So my questions are as follow: Has this happened to any win 8.1 users, are your updates abnormally long (well over 10 minutes), do they occurr extremely frequently (every 2-3 days, if not every day), and what could the causes be for the failure to install/reverting changes issue? 

Thank you in advance for any help. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms