Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-29-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 7

Had to reinstall XP Pro - can't access internet

2020-09-01, 14:44 PM

I have a lot of old but excellent software and equipment - some will run on Windows 7 but is too glitchy to even use. None of it works of windows 10. My sister gave me an old Lenovo 3000 J Series. I had to reinstall the XP Pro operating system and I'm having quite a lot of fun using software/equipment that I haven't been able to use in years but now it won't go online. The "network adapters" are listed under "hidden devices" in the device manager and they have no exclamation points or questions but again, under hidden devices, it lists "other devices" in bright yellow such as "ethernet controller" and others which the installation wizard says are not on the machine to install. I know the ethernet controller should be listed under "all programs" but it isn't. This old beast of a machine is working great but I do need to get it online. Can someone kindly tell me how to fix this? I'm pretty good with graphics but this techy stuff ... not so much. Help would be most appreciated. Thank You so much.

Options

3779 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

293 Signins

18910 Page Views

• Views: 18910
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Had to reinstall XP Pro - can't access internet

2021-03-23, 22:54 PM

Hello oppie2,

Greetings

Support for Windows XP already ended way back April 8, 2014. 
Microsoft no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system.
That's the reason why you can't access the internet. Usually for Windows operating system, after full reset or reinstallation it will gather updates to allow the drivers and other components to work properly. Without these updates, it will not function the way it is, including the capability to access the internet.

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Views: 559
  • Message 3 of 7

2021-05-31, 4:13 AM

Hello Oppie2

I realize that I'm a little late in responding to this question...

Microsoft discontinued support for Windows XP  on April 8, 2014.  But, since that time, I have rebuilt many XP systems from scratch.

There may be a few things going on here...

First:  As a result of installing Windows XP Pro, have you checked to make sure that ALL the relevant device drivers have been installed?  When you go into Device Manager, do you see all your Network Devices present and correctly installed?

Note:  You may need to download these on another system and transfer to this system for a manual install.

Second:  As a result of installing Windows XP Pro, are you at Service Pack 3?  If not, you may need to search for this on the internet and download it on another system and transfer to this system for a manual install.

Third:  What Internet Browser are you using?   You must ensure that you have at least IE8 on your system in order to run Windows/Microsoft Update.

But, even with IE8 installed.... most websites aren't going to respond well to this browser.... So, you had better download either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome in order to successfully  access the internet.

Note:  Both Google and Mozilla stopped supporting their browsers on Windows XP and Vista.   Therefore,  you will only get the latest version that is supported on those platforms - which is many releases detached form their current releases supported on Windowds 7/8/10.  So, while they will run (and definitely give you a better internet-experience than IE8) they may not work well on all sites.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

--
Anthony

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

4 Posts

08-29-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-05-31, 10:45 AM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I tried to download the network adapters / drivers from Lenovo's web site but every time I tried to enter the model number, serial number etc., it kept telling me that no such computer exists. When I looked into the system properties, it only identified XP pro but nothing else. I phoned Lenovo, they asked the same questions and again, no such computer exists. One of their supervisors came on the line and when I explained what was going on, she explained that this old J Series computer was the first of it's kind released in the U.S.. It was apparently rather highly anticipated and the market was flooded with knock offs some of which actually made it into the large retailers. In short, it was an impossible task because I can't identify what I need to download. I would have liked to be able to connect to the internet with it but it really doesn't matter ... I only use that computer for some older software and equipment that I like and in that regard, it's working just fine - if I need to download something, I just do it on another computer. Thanks again!

Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-06-02, 2:59 AM

Hello Oppie2

I've rebuilt an awful lot of XP machines from scratch, so I believe I have some worthwhile experience here.

JUST because I like a challenge, please reply with a screenshot of the Device Manager window (fully expanded and focusing on the Network Adapters).   Also, please provide the full model number of the computer.

I will do some research and get back to you.

--
Anthony

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

4 Posts

08-29-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-06-02, 6:15 AM

Hi Anthony! Thanks again for the input but I've decided to go another route ... still, I could use your input if you'd be so kind. I was given an old Optiplex 780 which has been reconditioned and it works like a charm but I've run into yet a different internet problem. It connects to the internet (google, chrome etc.) just fine but when I click on a web page, chrome sends a dialog box stating that the computer's internet clock is ahead invalidating web certificates thus not allowing the page to open. There is (supposedly) a way for the computer to connect to the internet and correct this problem itself but it's a cycle because when I click on it, it can't connect because of that web certificate problem so it's got me going in circles. I'm going to keep using this Optiplex 780 because it's faster and runs better. Like the Lenovo, if I can't get it to connect to the internet (or open web pages) then so be it, there are ways around that using my other machines - but I'm the sort who doesn't like having things not running right; a bit of an OCD thing, I guess LOL!

Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-06-02, 12:49 PM

@ oppie2 wrote:

Hi Anthony! Thanks again for the input but I' decided to go another route ... still, I could use your input if you' be so kind. I was given an old Optiplex 780 which has been reconditioned and it works like a charm but I' run into yet a different internet problem. It connects to the internet (google, chrome etc.) just fine but when I click on a web page, chrome sends a dialog box stating that the computer' internet clock is ahead invalidating web certificates thus not allowing the page to open. There is (supposedly) a way for the computer to connect to the internet and correct this problem itself but it' a cycle because when I click on it, it can' connect because of that web certificate problem so it' got me going in circles. I' going to keep using this Optiplex 780 because it' faster and runs better. Like the Lenovo, if I can' get it to connect to the internet (or open web pages) then so be it, there are ways around that using my other machines - but I' the sort who doesn' like having things not running right; a bit of an OCD thing, I guess LOL!

Hello Oppie2

I have found that the "invalid web certificates" issue is often related to an incorrect clock setting.  Try setting the date and time to the current value to see if that resolves the issue.   If this situation persists, then I would recommend replacing the CMOS battery.   

--

Anthony

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms