Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

06-01-2013

USA

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 1 of 9

How to remove Lenovo Picks from the Store

2013-12-26, 20:13 PM

On the Start screen type regedit and right click on regedit.exe and click on run as administrator. Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Store

Right click on STORE, click on Permissions, click on Advanced, at the top you will see "Owner: TrustedInstaller" click on Change, click on Advanced, click on Find Now and in the list find your account, click on it and click OK. Check the box nex to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, click OK. In the Permissions for Store window click on Users and check the box Full Control - Allow. Click on OK.

You should be back in Regedit window and in the right half of it you will see StoreContentModifier, right click on it, click on Modify and delete the value (not the key) and just leave it blank. I manually shut down the Store proccess just in case but it's probably easier just to reboot your computer. This should work for any OEM Picks (HP Picks, Dell Picks etc).

Now I only get Apps to get you started, Top free, Top paid etc no more Lenovo Picks.

Moderator Note; profanity / implied profanity edited

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: How to remove Lenovo Picks from the Store

2014-01-30, 14:03 PM
Thanks for the research here. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me on a Yoga 2 Pro. I *think* I followed the steps correctly - after rebooting, the StoreContentModifier key has no value, but I still get Lenovo Picks in the Store.

There is some verbiage in the Windows docs about how if that key is empty, it uses the OA 3.0 default which I think is the manufacturer. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with my machine though.
Options

4 Posts

04-26-2014

us

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 3 of 9

2014-04-26, 15:23 PM

I want Lenovo to know that using MY laptop as a vehicle for advertising is inappropriate and a deal breaker.

The "Lenovo Picks" section of the APP store is unwarranted, unwanted advertising and it's unauthorized by me.

That there's no obvious way to remove or otherwise disengage from this "service" is unacceptable.

I didn't sign up for this. It's NOT OK to shove this kind of thing down the throats of your customers. If I choose to browse the App store I should be able to without the intrusion.

I see this as a way for Lenovo, through payouts from app developers line their pockets at the expense of my time and my aggravation.

I have otherwise been mostly happy with the purchase of two Lenovo laptops and would buy more in the future... but I will not if Lenovo or other OEM's have this intrusive advertising... that I cannot disable... right at the front of the app store.

These things should always be opt in.... and that there is no way to opt out... I say again is a deal breaker. I'll no longer be able to purchase from Lenovo and I'll no longer recommend to others.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Options

4 Posts

04-26-2014

us

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2014-04-26, 15:25 PM

Super disappointed about this and that there's no way to opt out or disable the Lenovo Picks. It's enough of an issue as to be a deal breaker. I won't buy or recommend a company that engages in intrusive advertising.

I should be able to enjoy the experience without the intrusion.

Options

1470 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2014 Signins

20133 Page Views

• Views: 20133
  • Message 5 of 9

2014-04-28, 7:58 AM
They include Lenovo Picks because they want to make suggestions of apps you should try or buy for your laptop. You can save countless hours trying to look for great apps

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

4 Posts

04-26-2014

us

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2014-04-28, 12:09 PM

"They include Lenovo Picks because they want to make suggestions of apps you should try or buy for your laptop. You can save countless hours trying to look for great apps"

No. This is wrong and wholly untrue. I don't want or need Lenovo or anyone else, no other OEM or entity of any kind "suggesting" apps or anything else to me.

The idea that there is some sort of benevolent desire to help the customer with the 'picks' list is ridiculous at best and shows a remarkable naivety.

This is a way for Lenovo to leverage the App author's desire to advertise their product. Any author "chosen" to have his app featured in the list will undoubtedly be required to pay some percentage of earnings back to Lenovo.

This is bad business. It's wrong and it doesn't deserve anyone's respect.

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 7 of 9

2014-04-29, 12:21 PM
While I don't consider this a deal-breaker, I do agree it is frustrating that Lenovo's advertising cannot be removed.

Normally, I would just repave with a fresh Windows install to work around this; however, the ideapad line does not offer a nice way to restore to factory defaults if I ever needed to there's no way to burn 'restore' / 'recovery' disks.
Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 8 of 9

2014-05-04, 15:48 PM

If you upgrade your computer from Windows 8.x to Windows 8.x Pro, using a nonOEM key, these "Picks" goes away..... Or you can change your windows key to a retail version of Windows 8, via key dump. I do agree though that to buy a new key is a waste of $.

Options

4 Posts

04-26-2014

us

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2014-05-05, 11:20 AM

I appreciate the comments.

We shouldn't need to jump through hoops to remove this bloat/spam from our computers.

It's the wrong thing to do. Lenovo should have declined. They've lost my respect.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms