Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

09-10-2009

Anacortes, Washington

48 Signins

345 Page Views

• Views: 345
  • Message 1 of 11

Just a question about the windows seven upgrade program

2009-10-27, 0:58 AM

First, I got my ThinkPad T500 about a month ago and am loving it. Great performance, great build... overall I really enjoy it and have virtually replaced my desktop and work workstation with it.

I'm willing to be patient with the Windows Seven upgrade (at the moment it is "pending fulfillment") but if someone has the time to entertain my curiosity: why isn't this available via digital distribution? Most people I know who got Seven were able to download it the same day it was released - yet me and the rest of the people who got an upgrade from a computer manufacturer have to wait. Is this one of those notorious OEM requirements Microsoft has imposed or a decision made by Lenovo? If the latter, I would strongly recommend that this be taken a look into in the future. I would of wholeheartedly opted to download the installation media and license rather then it being shipped... and this would remove the extra cost to me for shipping charges and the time and money Lenovo had to spend in distributing it themselves.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks

Options

167 Posts

11-29-2007

Lenovo Campus in Morrisville, NC

239 Signins

1539 Page Views

• Views: 1539
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Just a question about the windows seven upgrade program

2009-10-27, 1:22 AM

According to the software licensing agreement with Microsoft, OEM's have options as to how to provide OS media to it's customers. Lenovo decided to provide an actual install DVD as opposed to a download option. Having the actual media in hand from Lenovo negates any download issues with incomplete downloads or corrupted downloads.

Our OEM upgrade kits started shipping the day our license agreement with MS allowed us to.  We have a large number of orders to fill and my information is that all copies will have shipped by the end of this week.

I'm not sure how Lenovo will handle future Microsoft OS releases, but I wil certainly provide your input into

that discussion when the time comes.

The cost of the upgrade is shipping only. The $17USD for shipping a copy of Windows 7 professional upgrade  is certainly less expensive than the $199USD cost of a Windows 7 upgrade SKU that I have seen in my local Best Buy.

Terry

Lenovo Windows 7 Development Team

Lenovo Enterprise Systems Expert

Lenovo Thinkpad

Options

68 Posts

11-27-2007

Morrisville, NC

99 Signins

1025 Page Views

• Views: 1025
  • Message 3 of 11

2009-10-27, 14:08 PM

We don't provide recovery CDs, people complain...

We provide recovery CDs, people complain...

(sigh)

-------
Matt Kohut
Lenovo Product Marketing
Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 4 of 11

2009-10-27, 21:49 PM

wrote:

We don't provide recovery CDs, people complain...

We provide recovery CDs, people complain...

(sigh)

The DVDs that people will obtain from the Lenovo Windows 7 upgrade programme are not recovery DVDs, are they?

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 5 of 11

2009-10-27, 21:55 PM

wrote:

The DVDs that people will obtain from the Lenovo Windows 7 upgrade programme are not recovery DVDs, are they?

That's correct, they will not be recovery cds. See Matt's post here.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 6 of 11

2009-10-27, 21:58 PM

wrote:

wrote:

That's correct, they will not be recovery cds. See Matt's post here.

Thanks for the clarification, Andy. Matt's comment was a bit confusing... :smileyhappy:

Options

4 Posts

10-28-2009

Barbados

4 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 7 of 11

2009-10-28, 16:24 PM

Hi Guys

How do I get a Windows 7 Professional CD for my R61i using the upgrade program?

Options

13 Posts

10-30-2009

Hayward, California USA

22 Signins

551 Page Views

• Views: 551
  • Message 8 of 11

2009-10-30, 20:52 PM

Matt's comment implies that computers bought during the free upgrade period are an exception to Microsoft's rules, yet the rest of the comment contradicts that:

(Quote)

Microsoft's regulations state that we can only ship a Windows recovery CD set equal to the COA on the bottom of the system (with the exception of those machines during the free upgrade program time period). If your system has a Vista COA, we are prohibited from sending you a Win 7 recovery CD set.

(Unquote)

The free-upgrade computers are the exception to the "must match COA" rule, OR "No Win 7 recovery discs for Vista COA machines" (which EVERY "free-upgrade" machine would have)? I am VERY confused. Can anyone tell me which part of Matt's quote is correct? Thanks.

Options

13 Posts

10-30-2009

Hayward, California USA

22 Signins

551 Page Views

• Views: 551
  • Message 9 of 11

2009-11-03, 4:40 AM
I fixed the formatting of my above post to the way I had intended it originally. Can anyone clarify what part of the quoted comment is correct? Thanks.
Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 10 of 11

2009-11-03, 6:49 AM
The position in generally similar to this......
  •  Microsoft has made a limited-time, market-wide,  promotional,  launch offer for Windows 7.

• It covers systems purchased brand new and carrying specified Vista COAs (not all Vista versions are specified)

• The Microsoft offer is to receive an upgrade disk and licence for a version of standard  Windows 7 which is equivalent (in Microsoft's reckoning) to the standard  Vista version on the system COA .  The terms and conditions of the upgrade offer licence cover the specific conditions of the upgrade offer and what constitutes a valid license under the offer. 

• The upgrade offer does not vary the normal licensing conditions for other packaging of Vista or Windows 7.

• The standard Windows 7 Upgrade disk set supplied as part of the offer is not  intended for a clean install from "bare metal" (though it can be used that way with a bit on effort), rather it is a disk which is intended to upgrade an existing Windows installation.   It most certainly is not a disk set for what Lenovo refers to as a "factory recovery" .

Cheers,

Bill 

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms