Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

83 Posts

10-16-2008

UK

99 Signins

900 Page Views

• Views: 900
  • Message 21 of 46

Re: Lenovo Enhanced Experience

2009-10-23, 10:08 AM

wrote:

wrote:

what could the factory load on there differently that a consumer with a CD couldnt?

An OEM Win 7 license.

Sorry that response just doesnt cut it really.

Win 7 is Win 7 - the OEM bit is what you customise with your branding and we , loyal , Lenovo cunsumers have already  - MS still get their cut - If we sourced Win 7 direct from MS or elsewhere it's still a valid licence same as the OEM one that ships with the PC.

Are there commercial agreements with other parties who would be due something if you distributed the EE stuff but simply allowed the end users to USE THEIR OWN WIN7 key and not use the OEM system key? I think that's all you are arguing about and if there was a will in Lenovo you absolutely could do this.

Have to admit my overwhelming view of how Lenovo have handled Win 7 is not good....it seems to stiff the loyal customers and the only way you get a real benefit of all this is to buy new...that is a crock tbh.

Lenovo X200 Tablet / 350Gb HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 7
Options

22 Posts

10-23-2009

Hungary

18 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 22 of 46

T500 - Windows 7 EE options and question about switchable graphics

2009-10-23, 12:10 PM

First, I'm new here. I already tried to look around for the answers, but didn't find anything, so I decided to register and start a new topic. If there is an answer already out there (only I didn't manage to find it), then I'm sorry, you can just give a link and delete the topic. Thanks for your understanding.

So. I've got 2 questions. First of all, I'm a T500 owner, which came with a Lenovo Vista. (Or how should I call it. Something like the new Win7 EE). I had some problems wtih Vista, so I decided to upgrade. Thats OK. Installed beta drivers, and now switched to the latest drivers. (One of them fixed my ultrabay power problem, and thats really nice. Thanks.)

The question: How can *I* get those upgrades/enchantments for my Win7? Its a vanilla Win7 by the way. Is there a way to download them? Or to get  a HDD with a Win7EE (Sounds stupid but...) or simply I can buy a Win7EE through some kind of store? ( I looked up the EE page but found only offers for new customers).

In a nutshell: How can I "enhance" my vanilla Win7? (of course I got System Update v4, but that only installs drivers and such. Those helps my work, but slows down my PC. There are no registry patches or any tweaks there.)

Second question: If I enable switchable graphics and install the drivers, it works. I can switch. BUT even if I choose Intel, the ATI will stay powered. How did I notice this (or why do I assume this)? My battery life got reduced to ~3-4 hours from 11 hours (I got an extended battery in my machine). The machine became warmer. So I just turned switchable off through the BIOS and installed Intel drivers. Battery life is better than on Vista. Way to go.

ps.: The switchable problem was with the BETA/RTM driver. I checked the new one's changelog, but didn't see anything regarding this issue. Did they notice this? Fixed this? Or only the listed problem got changed/fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Options

64 Posts

02-20-2008

Bay Area

299 Signins

1635 Page Views

• Views: 1635
  • Message 23 of 46

2009-10-23, 12:26 PM

lol...Sounds like a lot of trouble for the customizations. But I'd never pay the restocking fee. Don't worry, we'll get this done. I insist. ;)

If, as Mark indicated, we'll be able to get the EE BIOS, the drivers, and the customizations, then I'm all for it.

One question @Mark real quick. I was just going to order my Win 7 upgrade pack. The system generated a shipping fee of USD $14. This is really not free. Will there be a way to download the image? One Lenovo rep suggested that there would be when I placed an order for a third system, all three of which are eligible for this.

Who actually handles the upgrade? Microsoft or Lenovo?

Thank you. :)

Options

53 Posts

10-21-2009

Morrisville NC

99 Signins

1110 Page Views

• Views: 1110
  • Message 24 of 46

2009-10-23, 14:31 PM

@ IMaPC 

wrote:

as fast as Snow Leopard?

No, faster :)  Just ask Walt Mossburg:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20091007/a-windows-to-help-you-forget/?mod=windows7

"Speed: In my tests, on every machine, Windows 7 ran swiftly and with far fewer of the delays typical in running Vista. All the laptops I tested resumed from sleep quickly and properly, unlike in Vista. Start-up and restart times were also improved. I chose six Windows 7 laptops from different makers to compare with a new MacBook Pro laptop. The Mac still started and restarted faster than most of the Windows 7 PCs. But the speed gap has narrowed considerably, and one of the Lenovos beat the Mac in restart time."

Ooh yeah!
Options

32 Posts

09-07-2009

Glendale, CA

218 Signins

1588 Page Views

• Views: 1588
  • Message 25 of 46

2009-10-23, 18:08 PM

wrote:

@ IMaPC 

wrote:

as fast as Snow Leopard?

No, faster :)  Just ask Walt Mossburg:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20091007/a-windows-to-help-you-forget/?mod=windows7

"Speed: In my tests, on every machine, Windows 7 ran swiftly and with far fewer of the delays typical in running Vista. All the laptops I tested resumed from sleep quickly and properly, unlike in Vista. Start-up and restart times were also improved. I chose six Windows 7 laptops from different makers to compare with a new MacBook Pro laptop. The Mac still started and restarted faster than most of the Windows 7 PCs. But the speed gap has narrowed considerably, and one of the Lenovos beat the Mac in restart time."

Ooh yeah!

are you kidding me? you know he was using a PRELOADED system right?

Options

25 Posts

10-15-2009

Canada

62 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 26 of 46

2009-10-23, 18:24 PM

i still dont understand how lenovo owners prior to oct 22  can obtain the EE...

Options

50 Posts

10-12-2009

New York, NY

174 Signins

1119 Page Views

• Views: 1119
  • Message 27 of 46

2009-10-24, 3:39 AM

wrote:

i still dont understand how lenovo owners prior to oct 22  can obtain the EE...

From what I've read over the past day or two, it's just a BIOS update, but the computers that ship with the EE preloaded will run faster because of, for lack of a better term, registry hacks/tweaks, I think...

Options

5 Posts

09-30-2008

Brno, CZ

39 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 28 of 46

2009-10-24, 13:20 PM

To be honest, I've red many posts on this board and I'm still confused.

My situation is: I bought ThinkPad T400 (great piece of work, btw) in October 2008. I have been using winXP till this august when I've updated to Win7 64bit RTM (MSDN academic license). I am pretty satisfied with whole OS, but now I am not sure if I can get more from my computer with Enhanced Experience.

I have installed system update v4 and updated whole computer. But the question is, can I get more EE with my setup? As far as I understand whole thing, I can install bios update and updated drivers (but there is just few of them, will be there more?) I am interested of downloading some image of EE drivers as well.

And besides the registry optimization of built w7 image shipped now, can I get the same EE?

Maybe I sound a little bit confused.. but ... I am.. :)

Thanks for any answer in advance and I have to say thanks to Lenovo (more to people than company) for doing great job.

Options

68 Posts

11-27-2007

Morrisville, NC

99 Signins

1025 Page Views

• Views: 1025
  • Message 29 of 46

2009-10-24, 13:27 PM

Nanux,

With the setup, you're about 80-90% there, which is as close as you possibly can get.

If you haven't installed the BIOS update already, go ahead and do so.  Otherwise, drivers will continue to filter out.  If we have it available, System Update should pick it up.

-------
Matt Kohut
Lenovo Product Marketing
Options

25 Posts

10-15-2009

Canada

62 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 30 of 46

2009-10-24, 15:25 PM

nanux im in the exact situation as you with a t400. i downloaded some "beta" win7 drivers that win7 couldnt find and it was working alright except for some visual and trackpad glitches. i also updated bios to 3.10

downloaded system update v4 as soon as its oct 22, expecting that i'll get more "official" win7 drivers and a new bios update associated with EE. but no, it basically gave me some utilities/apps that i dont really need and in fact slowed my system down.

ps. sometimes the taskbar will flicker for no reason. also, the trackpad stops working randomly. you can move the cursor but it wont pick up anything you are pointing, clicking, etc, until you move the pointstick abit, then the trackpad works fine again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms