12-14-2009

Ann Arbor, MI

40 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 42 of 46

Re: Windows 7 Lenovo Enhanced Experience

2009-12-18, 11:41 AM

Longtime Dell owner, just bought a T400 with Vista downgraded to XP.  Reading that Lenovo's upgrade disks are taking forever to be shipped.  So I'm questioning whether I want to pay $17 and wait weeks or order today an upgrade CD from elsewhere (I can get it for $40).  I don't want to use my new PC for weeks or months, then have to redo everything, I'd rather do that right off the bat.

I suspect that if I do a clean Windows 7 install, then download the utlity on Lenovo's site that provides all the drivers and updates, I'll be so thrilled with my new experience that I won't notice that some benchmark software is lower by some fractional amount. 

I have to say that reading about Lenovo's backlogs and shipping problems reminded me of my past Dell experiences, like deja vu all over again.

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

AU

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 43 of 46

2009-12-18, 22:45 PM

wrote:

Since the "free upgrade" will include a new Windows 7 COA, what in the world is magically different about that COA from one that will be included on post-10/22 machines? Why in the world would the program be run this way?

The CoA supplied with the upgrade reads....

Win Vista <version as appropriate> to Win 7 <version as appropriate> UPG Fulfill 

LENOVO

....  so MS evidently does indeed want to be able to differentiate upgrade fulfilment CoAs from those on post-10/22 machines.

As to why MS runs the upgrade program that way...... probably because they can!?!  :smileysurprised:

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

33 Posts

11-09-2009

New York

56 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 44 of 46

2009-12-19, 12:53 PM

Once again, we are muddling our thoughts about what the Certificate of Authenticity states, and what product the customer has purchased.

The customer has purchased Windows 7.  There is no difference how the customer got to Windows 7.  It doesn't matter what the CoA might say on that topic, as quoted below.

The Lenovo Enhanced Experience is a LENOVO product, not a Microsoft product.  As has been re-iterated on this forum a zillion times, you cannot get Lenovo EE on an existing computer, only a new one.

This has NOTHING to do with Microsoft, it is Lenovo's decision, period.  So, the answer to "Why in the world would the program be run this way" is for Lenovo to answer, not Microsoft.

wrote:

wrote:

Since the "free upgrade" will include a new Windows 7 COA, what in the world is magically different about that COA from one that will be included on post-10/22 machines? Why in the world would the program be run this way?

The CoA supplied with the upgrade reads....

Win Vista <version as appropriate> to Win 7 <version as appropriate> UPG Fulfill 

LENOVO

....  so MS evidently does indeed want to be able to differentiate upgrade fulfilment CoAs from those on post-10/22 machines.

As to why MS runs the upgrade program that way...... probably because they can!?!  :smileysurprised:

Cheers,

Bill

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

AU

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 45 of 46

2009-12-20, 1:27 AM

wrote:

There is no difference how the customer got to Windows 7. 

Microsoft disagrees with you, as even a cursory examination of their range of EULAs will quickly show.
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

33 Posts

11-09-2009

New York

56 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 46 of 46

2009-12-20, 21:26 PM

In a prior thread you asserted that the Windows volume license precluded Lenovo from shipping upgrades to customer in a timely manner.  Yet somehow, Dell and HP were able to ship upgrades quickly.

Now, delivering the Lenovo Enhanced Experience is precluded by the EULA?

On the face of it, that makes no sense.

Lenovo could certainly deliver some sort of utility to make Lenovo EE available without violating Windows licensing. 

Lenovo would then incur costs to develop, test, and maintain this utility for every Lenovo model of desktop and laptop.

That is the real reason Lenovo is chosing not to make this available to existing customers.

wrote:

wrote:

There is no difference how the customer got to Windows 7. 

Microsoft disagrees with you, as even a cursory examination of their range of EULAs will quickly show.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete