Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Views: 386
  • Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Windows 7 Upgrade clean install possible?

2009-11-10, 5:23 AM

I know this question has been touched upon in other discussions, but it hasn't completely been answered.  With users on this forum starting to receive their upgrade media, I ask once more:

Is a clean install (via bootup) possible using Lenovo's Windows 7 upgrade media?  In other words, does the DVD shipped by Mentor Media allow you to completely erase your hard drive (including all partitions) and install Windows 7 from scratch?

I'd appreciate if anyone lucky enough to have their upgrade could answer for all of us waiting to know.  Thanks!

Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Windows 7 Upgrade clean install possible?

2009-11-10, 5:38 AM

I would just to add a few comments that have previously been made on this forum regarding this issue.  You'll see that some comments directly contradict each other, hence the confusion:

----------

erik (Community Moderator) wrote:

"...doing so would require a clean installation and upgrade media simply won't allow this.   this is the case with retail media, too."

User ChrisW6ATV wrote:

"The upgrade disc will likely allow for a "custom" install. That is nearly a clean install, as it will put your entire old Windows installation into a new folder called "windows.old" and will create all-new folders for its own, entirely new, installation. It just won't be truly a "clean" install because you likely cannot reformat the disc/partition where you install Windows 7."

User paradox183 wrote:

"got my free upgrade for my Dell Optiplex on Friday.  It came from Mentor Media, and I'm assuming that the actual upgrade media itself can't really be that different between OEMs.

I WAS able to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit over Vista 64-bit.  The key to doing so is to boot from the DVD, choose the "Custom Install" option, delete all of your hard drive partitions, and then create a new partition and install Windows 7 on it.  (This is basically the same method you would use to perform a clean install of Windows XP.)  My install had no problem accepting the product key and activating over the Internet."

------------

2 additional questions arise:

(1) Is there a difference between "custom install" and "clean install" or are these the same thing?

(2) As far as I understand, there are two opportunities to activate Windows 7, one before/during installation, and another after installation is complete.  Is this correct?  If a clean install is possible, is it better to activate at one point than the other?

Thanks.

Options

16 Posts

11-01-2009

New York

52 Signins

436 Page Views

• Views: 436
  • Message 3 of 13

2009-11-10, 5:43 AM

(1) Yes. They are the same thing. You can do a "true" clean install by deleting or reformatting a partition in the custom install process, or if you just roll with the default custom install, you will have your old files retained in Windows.old.

(2) No. You only activate at the end of installation, when you enter in your product key. You can skip this step and use Windows for 30 days without activation, but eventually will need to put it in. 

Options

548 Posts

09-10-2009

USA

324 Signins

5965 Page Views

• Views: 5965
  • Message 4 of 13

2009-11-10, 9:07 AM

I did a clean install to a brand new drive. Went easy, but I still have a 4 device manager alerts: 2 Base System Devices, PCI Serial Port, and PCI Simple Communicaitons Controller

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2009-11-10, 13:40 PM

Say I do a clean install with my Windows 7 upgrade and delete all 3 of my partitions in the process (C:, Q: Lenovo, and S: ServiceV003).  If I get problems with my computer down the line and wish to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch , will this be possible without my original Vista (and the partitions)?   I read that the Win7 upgrade will check for a legal version of Vista during installation, so I'm concerned about what will happen if I ever need to reinstall Win7 in the future but don't have Vista or Lenovo's preloaded partitions anymore. 

Another question: if I format my harddrive during Win7 Upgrade, will it still sucessfully activate afterwards with Vista gone?

Options

39 Posts

10-28-2009

Austin, TX

67 Signins

648 Page Views

• Views: 648
  • Message 6 of 13

2009-11-10, 20:42 PM

wrote:

Say I do a clean install with my Windows 7 upgrade and delete all 3 of my partitions in the process (C:, Q: Lenovo, and S: ServiceV003).  If I get problems with my computer down the line and wish to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch , will this be possible without my original Vista (and the partitions)?   I read that the Win7 upgrade will check for a legal version of Vista during installation, so I'm concerned about what will happen if I ever need to reinstall Win7 in the future but don't have Vista or Lenovo's preloaded partitions anymore. 

I believe it will (see below).  However, I don't know for sure.  Would be interesting to try on a completely clean hard drive.

wrote:
Another question: if I format my harddrive during Win7 Upgrade, will it still sucessfully activate afterwards with Vista gone?

Mine did, on two different systems (one OEM upgrade, one retail upgrade).  I guess it checks for a previous version of Windows when the installer first runs, before you tell it to do anything.

By the way, if you want to know the real truth... I used my retail upgrade on a copy of the Windows 7 RC.  I have several copies of XP and was planning on using one of those as proof of my upgrade eligibility (either installing it if it required me to do so, or if you remember from the old days, inserting a CD of an old Windows version during setup), but it never asked me to.  Just plowed through setup and let me reformat my Win7 RC Partition, reinstall, and activate once setup was complete.

What this tells me is, Windows 7 can "upgrade" itself... even if the "previous version" is the RC.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Options

35 Posts

10-22-2009

United States

31 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2009-11-10, 22:40 PM

Thanks for your input, Paradox.

If anyone at Lenovo wants to give an official answer, I'd be much obliged.

Options

548 Posts

09-10-2009

USA

324 Signins

5965 Page Views

• Views: 5965
  • Message 8 of 13

2009-11-11, 0:20 AM

I installed to a brand new SSD. The drive with vista was sitting on the desk the entire time. No problem with verification. This could all change in the future, but with the disks now shipping, no need to verify old version.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 9 of 13

2009-11-11, 2:36 AM

Daventry wrote:

If anyone at Lenovo wants to give an official answer, I'd be much obliged.

Welcome to the forum!

While there are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel with dedicated Lenovo support personnel assigned to it. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

10 Posts

11-12-2009

Houston, TX

7 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 10 of 13

2009-11-12, 22:41 PM

I think I have a related question:

I have a laptop with pre-loaded Windows XP (OEM) and will upgrade it using a retail Windows 7 Upgrade disk. So far so good. But let us assume that for some reason one day I want to replace my hard drive or re-install Windows 7.

I understand that I cannot use the Win 7 upgrade disk to do a new install on a new computer. But will the upgrade disk be sufficient to re-install Windows 7 on a different hard drive? Since my old Windows XP licence will be blown by then, how can I confirm that I am licensed to use Windows 7 on the same motherboard? Will the upgrade disk recognize the previous Win 7 install in the CPU? (or even still find traces of the previous XP installation?) Or would I have to call to Microsoft to confirm that I may re-install Win 7?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms