Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-27-2009

Toronto CA

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 3

MSDN Win7 upgrade + partitioning + able to use System Recovery. how?

2009-10-27, 9:09 AM

I have installed throught a clean install on my T400 (recently bought, no important files yet), and I have resized my C drive so I have a new D partition. But after partitioning the system recovery through blue button (ThinkVantage) will not work. I did not purchase a Windows 7 license off lenovo because my University gave us MSDN subscriptions for Win 7 Pro.

So here I am asking: What is, if there is one, the perfect solution, to upgrade from Vista 32bit (Recovered from backup disks) to Windows 7 x64, and split C: into two partitions, while at the same time, allow F11 at start up to work and recovery C: drive without erasing my other partitions.

Thank you, I know this is probably one of the most often answered questions on this forum... If there is already a solution to this, sorry about that because I couldn't find a post talking about this ^^;;;

Answer
Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207

Re: MSDN Win7 upgrade + partitioning + able to use System Recovery. how?

2009-10-27, 9:33 AM

Hi:

looks like you wan to run your PC on Windows 7, but also want to have that recovery feature in place.

You can do one of two options:

Option A:

-Perform a clean install of Windows 7

-Download System Update 4.0 from lenovo.com

-Select ALL updates indicated from the scan.

-after those are installed, run Windows Update, install all updates, then install ALL of your additional software.

-once your PC is completely set up, Run Rescue and Recovery (in the thinkvantage folder); if it is not in your pc, you can download this from Lenovo.com.  Create a harddrive Backup of your PC.

Youre Done.  You now have a new image installed in your PC that works using the "Blue button" (Rescue and recovery is the program that runs when you press this button).

Option B:

If you can get your hands on the New Recovery Discs for Windows 7, you can instal the entire Factory image of New Lenovo Notebooks built after 10/22.  Not only will you have the setup you want, the Enhanced Experience ("EE" rating) given to those new notebooks will apply to your PC as well.  Good Luck, They will be hard to find (unless you can find a person with the new laptop - they can burn the recovery disks for you right from their Notebook.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 2 of 3

2009-10-27, 9:33 AM

Hi:

looks like you wan to run your PC on Windows 7, but also want to have that recovery feature in place.

You can do one of two options:

Option A:

-Perform a clean install of Windows 7

-Download System Update 4.0 from lenovo.com

-Select ALL updates indicated from the scan.

-after those are installed, run Windows Update, install all updates, then install ALL of your additional software.

-once your PC is completely set up, Run Rescue and Recovery (in the thinkvantage folder); if it is not in your pc, you can download this from Lenovo.com.  Create a harddrive Backup of your PC.

Youre Done.  You now have a new image installed in your PC that works using the "Blue button" (Rescue and recovery is the program that runs when you press this button).

Option B:

If you can get your hands on the New Recovery Discs for Windows 7, you can instal the entire Factory image of New Lenovo Notebooks built after 10/22.  Not only will you have the setup you want, the Enhanced Experience ("EE" rating) given to those new notebooks will apply to your PC as well.  Good Luck, They will be hard to find (unless you can find a person with the new laptop - they can burn the recovery disks for you right from their Notebook.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

10-27-2009

Toronto CA

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 3

2009-10-27, 13:41 PM

In the meaning of clean setup, it would mean to format the C drive before installing? What about the hidden partition + Lenovo drive?

What about partitioning then? Do I use the tool provided on the installation disc when I install? Would that have effects on the Recovery process?

Frankly I am really looking forward to finding a lenovo recovery disc of windows 7... Just that the release is too recent and nobody around has that right now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms