01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Views: 1488
  • Message 1 of 19

Need help with numerous issues with Windows 7 on a new T400

2010-01-06, 11:30 AM

I have a brand new, 43-hour-old, Lenovo T400 with Windows 7 Home Premium factory-installed. I had my cable company come out to set up the broadband this morning, but they couldn't set up my email because Windows Live Mail is not compatible for configuration with my local cable broadband. They also couldn't install the free anti-virus service that comes with the cable modem service, because it is not compatible with Windows 7. This is my first computer in 5 years (was offline entirely for 4.5 years until last June, when I got my Blackberry, so please forgive my naiivete' [sorry, I know that is misspelled; I don't know how to type an "i" with an umlaut; my BB auto-corrects the spelling on that word]), so I have never used Vista before, but have read enough to know that it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Is there a way to downgrade a factory-installed Windows 7 OS on a Lenovo T400 to XP?

In my past 19-hr attempt to get non-web-based email for a $1000+ device that is beginning to seem more like just a really expensive DVD and MP3 player with minimal web abilities, while my $50 Blackberry has email, near-normal desktop web browsing (except Flash Media), text, phone, video, and mp3 player capabilities; I called the cable company (Mediacom) who told me to call Lenovo or Microsoft. Called Lenovo first, and according to the tech I spoke with, the ONLY free non-web-based email client that is compatible with the combination of Windows 7 on a Lenovo T400 with cable broadband, that would allow access to email from more than 1 email address from different email providers, is Thunderbird, HOWEVER, when I went to download it from Mozilla, I kept getting warning messages that Thunderbird is infected with viruses. Does anyone know where I can find a virus-free copy of Thunderbird? Like a mirror site, or maybe from a file-sharing site from someone who downloaded/uploaded it before it was infected? The tech said he had no other solutions and told me to call Microsoft.

So, I called Microsoft, who said they could only *tell* me the name of a free non-web-based email client that could consolidate the messages from several email accounts and is Windows 7 and cable broadband compatible and compatible with my T400, for the "bargain price" of $59.95! I felt like I was talking to an organized crime syndicate, 'yeah, we'll give you the information...for a price.' They said since Mom bought it for me for Christmas from Lenovo, that Lenovo is allegedly responsible for any software/OS issues.

I called Lenovo back, and they said they are only responsible for the hardware, so between the two companies I apparently have NO technical support for my Windows 7 (in the event I have another problem besides no compatible email client), or any assistance in finding what non-virus-infected email clients are compatible with Windows 7 and cable broadband, are not web-based, and are capable of consolidating messages from more than one email address from different email providers, and store messages in an inbox that can be accessed offline, and would work on T400. Does *anyone* know of a free email client that meets these requirements?

Also, if I do have another OS problem, since neither MS, nor Lenovo, are allegedly responsible for the installed OS, does anyone know if there is a contracted 3rd company to deal with that, or some other way of supporting Windows 7? Because it was factory installed at Lenovo, I never received a Windows 7 backup disk or any MS or Windows literature; so if it gets corrupted or something, and neither MS nor Lenovo are responsible for OS or software issues, who would be responsible for fixing OS/software issues? Lenovo said MS was, and the warranty information booklet from Lenovo only covers hardware, specifically exempting pre-installed software: yet MS swears it is Lenovo's responsibility, and I can pay MS techs $60/question to have them tell me again that it is Lenovo's responsibility and that MS can't do anything. Someone PLEASE tell me that there is a legitimate 3rd party responsible for supporting my OS 7; that there is some legitimate way to get a backup disk of my OS 7; and that there is either a free, virus-free email client that meets my above requirements, or that I can somehow downgrade to XP that has a built-in email client.

Thanks so much,

Ann

Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: Need help with numerous issues with Windows 7 on a new T400

2010-01-06, 14:54 PM

As far as antivirus you can download Avast or one of the other free ones. I've noticed on Norton antivirus I've had to manually start the cd in 64bit Windows 7 Professional to get it to install. On your email problem if you get the settings from MediaCom support for email I think you should be able to set it up yourself within Windows Live mail. All you have to do is setup your Pop accounts and Smtp accounts or whatever they suggest. You may have to call them to set up password for your email account otherwise it's not that different from Outlook Express to set up. Perhaps Windows live mail was just too new to them or else they didn't know how. You can contact Lenovo and get them to ssend you a restore cd set for your laptop if you think you're going to need it. You'll need your model and type and serial # when you call.

Options

8518 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77400 Signins

2201849 Page Views

• Views: 2201849
  • Message 3 of 19

2010-01-06, 15:24 PM

What is telling you Thunderbird is infected?  The organized crime syndicate's virus detector?  Only about a zillion of us are using T-bird without problems.

I usually just start here:  www.mozilla.org/

Are you getting diverted to some bogus site?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

69 Posts

07-31-2009

Hudson Valley

238 Signins

2779 Page Views

• Views: 2779
  • Message 4 of 19

2010-01-06, 23:25 PM

Don't give up; you need to find the right settngs for the Windows Live Mail client to get your Mediacom email working.   Windows Live Mail as 'broadband' compatible as any mail client can be.   As far as antivirus, the free (download from Microsoft) Windows Security Essentials works just fine and has gotten lots of press for good performance. 

Mediacom has been having major email problems since upgrading their email system recently.  Search 'mediacom mail problems' for more info-- it has made headlines.  I read through quite a bit of the discussion in the folllowing thread on broadbandreports.com and problems have been reported with various email clients; Windows 7 / Windows Live Mail isn't the issue.   Ironically, one poster using Windows Live Mail on Win 7 was one of the few on the forums that *was* able to use Mediacom mail after the upgrade.  Lots of confusion about changed or changing mail server names...

If no one at Mediacom is able to help you, probably someone in this discussion thread can...

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r23466882-Official-Mediacom-Email-Discussion-Thread~start=160

Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2010-01-08, 11:23 AM

Wow, did all these responses just come through in the past couple minutes? I posted this several days ago, and signed up for email notification of responses, which I can at least get on my Blackberry, but never received any, so I thought no one had any ideas. In the meantime, I've been working with the Windows Seven Forums for the past 3 days, but haven't made any real progress, and am becoming increasingly frustrated with the apparent fact that, out of what I am looking for in a computing device, the *only* significant advantage of the ThinkPad over my Blackberry is the ability to access Flash Media websites, and I am having a really hard time justifying allowing my mom to pay 20+ times the cost of the Blackberry for one feature. Does anyone know if mini-netbooks can run Flash Media?     :smileysad:

To answer this specific question:

It was a pop-up window from the Mozilla site when I clicked the big button "download" button for Thunderbird, before I DLed *any* A/V software. It was a small window with red and exclamation points and small print that stated that Thunderbird was infected with viruses. The first time I saw it, I was trying to read the details, but it disappeared before I could read it all, but there weren't any links, like "click here to scan" or anything, and it didn't redirect, but made me nervous enough to decline the DL. I closed it all down, restarted, and tried to go back to Mozilla to see if I could finish reading the warning; clicked DL button, warning came back up, but before I could read it this time, another window opened showing that Thunderbird was starting to download without me having selected "run" or "save", which really scared me since I had no A/V (Mediacom broadband cable monopoly is supposed to provide CA Internet Security Suite as part of the HSI contract, but it is not W7 compatible), so I had to shut it all down to prevent the infected file from continuing it's transfer attempt. Now I am too scared to go back to Mozilla until I know I have a reliable/comprehensive/free A/V that can stop the virus or kill it.

3 different people at Mediacon...oops :smileywink: (that actually was a real typo, but I'm leaving it since it fits so well)...Mediacom swear that WLM is not compatible with their broadband monopoly, and they didn't tell me until after I had it installed that it is not technically compatible with W7 in general.   :smileymad:

I do have another ThinkPad specific question: When mom said she wanted to get me a laptop, I specifically tried to choose something that was rugged and in her price range. I have a disability that makes my joints really loose, so I tend to be pretty clumsy. Nearly every laptop that I ever had, I ended up breaking the screen pretty quickly; except my iBook ten years ago, my ex-bf was the one who broke its screen. :smileytongue: I read several reviews and articles that claimed that ThinkPads met Military specs for ruggedness, but now that I actually can see and touch the plastic case, other that the HD airbag, I am wondering how it actually supposedly meets those specs? It feels just as fragile as any other I've ever tried. :smileysad:

Thanks,

Ann

Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2010-01-08, 13:50 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning Outlook Express, with which I have no experience. I used AOL 1996-2005, and Blackberry for the past 6 months, which can be configured with most of the major web-based email account providers like AOL, Yahoo!, and Google, and has options for using a seperate inbox for each account or consolidating them into one inbox, and either option allows you to access your msgs offline, and can be set to have a different audio and/or visual notification for emails coming into each account that go off right when you get new email, like in the old AOL service, "You've got mail." Using the web-based mail only allows being able to check one email address at a time and having to change between provider sites, unless the system is strong enough to support having several extra WIE windows open to each address account, and having to constantly interupt other browsing to frequently refresh each page to see if new mail has come in. It just seems bizarre to me that the newest system doesn't appear to have the most basic email features that AOL 2.0 had in 1996, and that a $50 Blackberry has.

I forced Mediacom to give me their mail server and port info (as well as the email and password that they set up on their server without my knowledge, and was never given to me for 2 days after the installation tech was here until I called a fourth time), on the off-chance that I actually finnd a compatible email client with the features I want, but they stressed again that WLM was not compatible with their broadband monopoly service, and trying to use an incompatible email client could screw up the computer. But, people keep telling me that all the Mediacom techs I'v talked to must be either incompetent or lazy, and that I can set it up safely in WLM, but I can"t find any screens anywhere to enter the specific server and port info.

Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 7 of 19

2010-01-08, 14:49 PM

If you open WLM you should be able to click open Menus and open next to left of ? mark. Choose show menu bar and then click Tools-Accounts-Add-Email Account and it will bring up wizard to enter all of your information. You will need to know your email address, your incoming (popserver) account name and your outgoing (smtp server) account name and your password to get into mail.Also you can Google for this and maybe get some help on how to set it up.

Hope this helps.

Like I said before Avast antivirus is a good free alternative.

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 8 of 19

2010-01-11, 21:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're having to many problems. I'm surprised that Lenovo have given you so little help, but in all honesty it sounds like your rather unhelpful broadband provider that's really responsible.

Firstly, let me address this email issue. You can get thunderbird from here and when I download it I get no errors. You'll find it's quite straight forward to setup, but if you need help post back and I'm sure someone here will give you a hand! Using windows live mail will not, in any conceivable way do anything to harm your laptop, your ISP's server or your internet connection. I'd be genuinely shocked if it did. The post by mack909 should help you setup WLM - again if you need more help post back.

Secondly, this whole military standards thing is why i went for a lenovo over a HP laptop (all my previous machines were HP business models and they were build to last!). The thinkpad (i have a T500) does seem much weaker, more flexible and less well built in comparison. I am somewhat dissapointed, however, I've yet to break it so maybe how it looks and feels can be decieving. I have discoved after dropping a book on mine (while closed) that the lid is alot stronger than it looks. There was a sigh of relief when i opened it and the screen still worked! They seem liked good machines, and i'm warming up to mine so I guess all you can do is see what happens. Hopefully it will all work out fine.

Good luck :-)

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2010-01-17, 15:26 PM

Sorry, I would have replied much sooner, as I did sign up for email subscription to come to an email address that I can access on a web-based account or on my Blackberry, but something (like maybe the stated incompatibility between Mediacom and W7?) appears to be preventing the email subscription feature from working. This has happened recently on at least one other forum (but not all that I have used on this PC), and wondering if the same something that is overriding certain TB and W7 preference settings (described below), might also somehow override the email notification preferences on certain forum websites?

Finally got WLM set up with some email addresses, including the Mediacom address (mchsi.com); but it refuses Yahoo! addresses. Additionally, it appears to be missing some key features I was looking for, or expected it to have, such as the ability to be open-but-minimized and run in the background while providing real-time audio-visual alerts of email as they come in. From what I can tell, the only way to check if there are new msgs, is to open each email account or the main email inbox and constantly refresh each window to see if something new has come in. Other than the single feature of an offline inbox that can consolidate certain limited accounts, by not having real-time audio-visual notifications, it doesn't seem much more advanced than having several extra webpages open to web-based email accounts and constantly refreshing each to see if new msgs have come in.

Despite swearing to me that Lenovo provides no support for even factory installed drivers and software, including W7 at all (despite MS swearing it is Lenovo's responsibility due to an OEM license), much less any downloaded software; I was finally able to get a Lenovo tech to tell me that the only other free email client compatible with my ThinkPad T400 2764CTO at all, is Thunderbird. Took nearly a week to get functional enough A/V to finally be able to DL TB3.0 without the virus infection popup window from the site. Even specifically scanned the file with MSE before installing it, swearing it was clean. I seem to be able to set it up fine with addresses from Gmail and AOL. Setting up with Mediacom High-Speed Internet (MCHSI) address or a Windows Live address, I apparently just get an inbox, but can't seem to set up or DL the supplementary read, junk, sent, saved, etc. folders. Every time I try to enter Yahoo address credentials, I get an invalid username and/or password error, despite knowing them and using them all the time, and the fact that TB's FAQ specifically claims that Yahoo! is one of the popular email providers that they do support. On top of that, again, there have been no audio-visual real-time notifications for the accounts I have set up. There is a set of options that appear to allow or provide this function, and they appear to be selected by default, but the only way that I can tell if I have new email on the PC, is to constantly have to check or refresh already open Yahoo webpages and the open windows of the email client to see if anything has come in. It appears that the notification preferences are being overridden by something; as I am having a similar problem in the Windows 7 mouse pointer control panel, with something apparently overriding my preference of unchecking (e.g. turning it off; visually the box is unchecked, but the function is still active, despite restarts and rechecking the control panel) the annoying new "mouse hover launch weblinks" feature that automatically launches a weblink if I graze the link for a split-second (hover implies to me that you would have to actually "hover" or set the mouse pointer on top of the link for at least a second or two); forcing me to be ultraconscious about where the mouse pointer is, so that I don't launch a link by accidentally skimming too close to it for a millisecond.

Been trying to figure out what kind of application conflict, new virus that has not made it into the A/V databases yet, the stated Mediacom incompatibility, some physical problem, operator error, or something else, that could override preferences in both Thunderbird and the W7 control panel: but all physical hardware diagnostics, A/V scans, connection tests, and system health scans, swear everything is fine.

If no one has any ideas on how to fix the notification function preference from being overridden in Thunderbird; are there any other free email clients that are compatible with a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 2764CTO that the techs don't know, or won't tell, about? Also needs to be compatible with Mediacom broadband, as well as W7; and have capabilities for real-time audio-visual notifications for incoming emails. Should also be compatible with being set up with accounts from Yahoo!, AOL, Gmail, Windows Live, and Mediacom. Any ideas, on if it might be the same something overriding the W7 mouse pointer control panel preferrences and/or email subscriptions on certain forum sites, or if that might be something else entirely, would be appreciated too.

Sorry for the long posts, I guess I have been away from PCs and Windows too long to understand what the heck I am doing, and just frustrated trying to get most of the same email features on my week and half old PC, that I had on my Blackberry (which is far from user-friendly) the first day that I had it, as well every other PC or Mac that I ever had from 1996-2005. *sigh* :smileysad:

Thanks,

Ann

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 10 of 19

2010-01-17, 15:26 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete