Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Need help with numerous issues with Windows 7 on a new T400

2010-01-17, 21:44 PM

You're quite the essay writer!

I don't have muct time at the moment, so I'm afriad this will be short and not answer all your questions.

There are other free mail clients around, though I am unsure of their windows compatibility. Thunderbird is by far the best that I've ever used. I don't have a yahoo account and as such cant test against their email compatibility, but have you tired entering the username as your_user_name@yahoo.com? sometimes that works against the authentication. Addtionally this website might help you: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071202081209AAJJoKG  - PLEASE NOTE: POP usually deletes the copy of the email from the server when it is downloaded to your machine. You need to be awaire this is going to happen. One of my friends was caught out the other day.

I think if you minimise the mail clients they check automatically for email and provide notifcations every 5 minutes, however I can't be certain of this. Thunderbird does give me alerts.

I honestly don't know what could cause the strange mouse behaviour, unless it is something inbuilt into the webpage you're on - like javascript or something. Thats a complete guess though - anyone feel free to suggest potential  causes.

I'm afraid I'm pratically asleep - see if you can get that yahoo account working in thunderbird. If I have any wild ideas on how to solve the other problems I'll post back for you.

Take care.

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Views: 1488
  • Message 12 of 19

2010-01-19, 1:52 AM

I downloaded the Ypops file from the link you provided, and it seemed to set it up like a whole other program with its own icon, but when I did go into TB, it did finally let me add a Yahoo address, and seemed to have a few ypop related things added. However, when I click on the email name to try to see new mail, I get the following error:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.com responded: pop not allowed for user. 

Has Yahoo changed their service since this was posted in 2008, so that you have to have the paid Yahoo service no matter what, if you want to use a mail client? Or did I do something wrong?

Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 13 of 19

2010-01-19, 4:12 AM
Nevermind, found the apparent problem; went into YPops properties where there is a function to run it for compatibility with various OSes, except, of course, W7. :( Is there a more advanced version of YPops, or another program that is W7 compatible for adding Yahoo to Thunderbird?
Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 14 of 19

2010-01-19, 9:45 AM

You're right - you need to pay for the service if you're in the US (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html)

I'm sorry to keep sending you to articles on how to set things up, but this is another guide - just look over it and see that you've done similar to what is says. I'll try and setup a Yahoo account and access it in Thunderbird over the next few days and get back to you. http://opensourcearticles.com/thunderbird_15/english/part_10 (note that it is a slightly older version of thunderbird in the screen shots so you may have to work out were bits are in the new one)

Oh - When you're in a programs properties it will allow you to run in "compatibility" mode, since it's windows 7 you're on it will not have that option. If you were on Windows 8, Windows 7 would be in the "compatiblity" list. Only previous versions of windows are shown on that list.

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2010-01-19, 10:29 AM

Sorry, confused. Are you saying that, being in the US, I would still have to pay the $20/year for Yahoo in order get them into an eamil client, despite the fact that I have found a ton of articles claiming that Yahoo can be freely imported through Thunderbird using Webmail Extensions, YPops, or FreePops? With my configuration though, none of these will apparently work, since they are not compatible with Windows 7 or TB3.0. Unfortunately, I found that I cannot downgrade to XP, so stuck with W7, which also means I can't use the TB2.0 that allegedly works with the Pops programs and the Webmail Extensions. Are there any updates hidden anywhere for making YPops, FreePops, and the webmail extensions compatible with TB3.0 and W7?

Despite Lenovo's claim that TB the only email client compatible with my machine, please, can someone tell me if, of the off chance that Lenovo was wrong, are there any other possible free email clients that are compatible with a ThinkPad and W7, that can consolidate mail from different accounts from different providers (Yahoo, AOL, Live, Gmail, and Mediacom [MCHSI]), into one inbox, or veiwed in individual ones that can be accessed offline, and have real-time audio-visual notifications?

Thanks

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 16 of 19

2010-01-20, 3:14 AM

Annnastasia wrote:

Despite Lenovo's claim that TB the only email client compatible with my machine

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard come out of the support unit, and I would be stunned speechless if it were true.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

69 Posts

07-31-2009

Hudson Valley

238 Signins

2779 Page Views

• Views: 2779
  • Message 17 of 19

2010-01-20, 23:35 PM

The inability to access Yahoo email (the *free* version) from Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird on your PC  is not due to an incompatibility with Windows 7, but because Yahoo wants potential advertising revenue when you go to *their* website to retrieve your mail.      If you want to get Yahoo mail through your own reader (WLM or TB or Eudora or whatever) you need to pay for Yahoo Mail Plus.   They'll be happy to send your email to you then (without showing you add links) but you have to pay for it.  But they don't want to provide a service to you and have no prospect for making any financial return on it.   Here is the official word from Yahoo on the subject:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html

The 'mouse hover opens web links'  problem you report sounds like it might be a manifestation of an advertising 'feature' of many web pages these days. Are you seeing something that looks like a popup ad when you mouse over something that has a double underline?  If so,  Windows 7 again is not the culprit; it's the creative minds that have crafted the web page that are to blame.  Less feature rich browsers (like on the Blackberry) probably don't support it.  Search on Kontera  context advertising (though it might not be the one you have seen; there are other methods that are similar) for info on this.  There are some workarounds to disable it (but they involve editing your TCPIP hosts file, and may not be considered trivial if you aren't familiar with Windows).

Options

2 Posts

01-20-2010

Missouri

7 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 18 of 19

2010-02-02, 10:06 AM

Sounded stupid when they told me, but then again, apparently with W7 being too new, I have been having trouble finding hardly any programs of any kind that are W7 compatible, and cannot figure out, if I did happen to find a W7 compatible program, how to tell if it would be compatible with the Lenovo software on my Thinkpad as well. 

Theoretically, if is is W7 compatible, that should be the only compatibility issue, but from the Lenovo tech's answer about Thunderbird being the only ThinkPad compatible email program, and the fact that there are a couple other email programs that claim W7 compat., that tells me that there is something in the Lenovo software that limits the number of compatible programs even more.

Thunderbird 3.0 is supposed to be W7 compatible, and is the only program that Lenovo tech swore was compatible with my Thinkpad, and even it does not provide real-time audio-visual notifications when the emails come in, despite there being options for such selected by default; it appears that something in the W7 or Lenovo software is overriding this option, or there is a bug in TB keeping it from working.

Has anyone ever on a W7 Thinkpad T400 2764CTO been able to find and use a free email program that is fully compatible with both W7 and the Lenovo software, and provides:

-An inbox that can be viewed both with several email accounts from different providers consolidated in one inbox, as well as an option to view each account seperately, and be able to store them in an offline inbox.

-Real-time audio-visual notifications every time an email comes in while online.

-Being able to find or add the name of the program to the startup menu, so that it can be launched automatically at PC startup.

?

Sorry if I may be repeating myself, I just have never had a computer, new or used, or even a smartphone, that took over a month to find a compatible email program for it with those basic features.

Options

22 Posts

01-06-2010

Missouri

45 Signins

1488 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2010-02-07, 21:15 PM

If after a month, no one in this forum has been able to name a compatible email program with my aforementioned feature needs, then am I to assume there isn't one in existence?

As the only thing my Thinkpad can do that my Blackberry cannot, is browse Flash Media websites, and I still have to rely on BB for real-time emails notifications, I am having a huge problem justifying my mom's expense on this...thing. So, as I decide if I should just give up on this and keep waiting for Skyfire to release it's BB browser with Flash, I guess my last question would be, if I wanted to sell a month-old ThinkPad T400 2764CTO, could I get a good deal going through the Lenovo"s Business Partners reseller program, or could I likely recoup more of her losses by selling it directly myself through a newspaper, AdSheet, E-Bay, Craig's list, or something along those lines?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete