Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Views: 1199
  • Message 1 of 5

OEM vs. Retail Win7

2010-01-05, 14:12 PM

I have an X200 tablet, configuration 7448, that came with Vista but that I upgraded on my own to Window 7.

I am having an issue (which I have discussed in a separate thread) that may be a hardware issue. However, when I called in to the service center, they told me that the problem is that I didn't use Lenovo's Win7 image.

Is there some significant difference between the Lenovo OEM Win7 image and the retail version of Win7?

Obviously the retail version doesn't come with all the Lenovo drivers and software, but I have downloaded and installed everything off the driver matrix here on the Lenovo site. When I did my upgrade, I followed the upgrading to Windows 7 instructions off the Lenovo site step by step.

I wasn't even aware that you could buy an OEM copy of Win7 for systems that weren't eligible for the free upgrade (which mine isn't). Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't even find any information on the Lenovo site on buying an OEM copy for my computer -- although the warranty service guy offered to sell me one over the phone.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this guy's right and I need an OEM copy for things to work, or if he didn't know what he was talking about and a retail copy works just fine once you install the Lenovo drivers, etc.

Options

106 Posts

09-23-2009

United States

197 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: OEM vs. Retail Win7

2010-01-05, 15:21 PM

I don't believe there is any difference between retail and oem other than the oem is supposed to be installed only on the original machine it was installed on.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2010-01-05, 16:22 PM

So I called back to ask a follow-up question and got a different opinion from a second service tech.

This one told me that Lenovo doesn't have a version of Windows 7 for older machines like mine. I don't what it was that the first tech offered to sell me, but apparently it doesn't exist.

Instead, she told me that Lenovo has been informed by Microsoft that they are having problems with the tablet functions and that I'll just have to wait for them to fix it, or downgrade back to Vista.

Options

21 Posts

04-10-2008

Silicon Valley

243 Signins

2406 Page Views

• Views: 2406
  • Message 4 of 5

2010-01-06, 4:23 AM

I also upgraded an X61Tablet 7448 from Vista to Win7 using the retail version. I did a clean install using a new larger drive and used System Update to update Lenovo drivers. The process worked very well. I've been using this as a test machine before upgrading other ThinkPads (T61, T400s, X60T, X200T). So far, no probelms with the Win7 OS. As advertised, performance has improved and I have been very satisfied with the "new" Tablet. Cudos to Lenovo for the design and support of its equipment and working with MS.

My testing has focused more on the use of various older applications and devices. I did run into a problem when I tried to force a driver for an end-of-life scanner, which corrupted my USB port services and required a complete re-install. However, since that incident, no probelms. My advice would be to rely on the Win7 Compatibility Center (which I ignored).

~ Ken

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2010-01-06, 4:52 AM

I haven't actually had any problems with Windows 7.

I believe -- based on other people who have had the same problem -- that I have a hardware problem. However, the service center refuses to do anything; they blame the problem on Windows 7.

Admittedly, I could be wrong. I'm going to try to restore my vista factory build and see if I still have problems.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms