Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

110 Posts

10-26-2009

Los Angeles, CA

160 Signins

834 Page Views

• Views: 834
  • Message 1 of 5

OS Upgrade Path - T500

2009-10-26, 21:32 PM

Hi. I'm quite new to Lenovo Thinkpads so I'm going to need some guidance from the community at large to figure out the best upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional. 

My T500 is equipped with:

Intel Core Duo T9600 (2.80GHz)

4GB RAM

Intel Turbo Memory

160GB Hard Drive (7200rpm)

AT&T Mobile Broadband Card (Ericcson)

Vista Home Basic 32-bit

To get from the present state to Windows 7 Professional, what's the best approach? Should I clean install Vista 64-bit (which I have a disk for) then get an upgrade to 7 Pro? Should I just go with the clean install 7 Pro? 

I have concerns over 7 Pro being compatible with all the hardware and software I have... and also being able to reinstall all the Lenovo software that came with the notebook. (if I went with the former upgrade path, the same concerns exist)

I would appreciate some advice / guidance on these issues. Thanks.

Moderator note; model added to subject.

Options

226 Posts

05-30-2009

Canada

644 Signins

3001 Page Views

• Views: 3001
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: OS Upgrade Path - T500

2009-10-27, 2:11 AM

Well, from someone who's been in the business since DOS 1.0, here's a simple and absolutely reliable and proven rule for system stability:

NEVER NEVER NEVER UPGRADE

When install any Windows O/S, delete all existing partitions during Setup and let Setup re-partition the drives automatically.

I have a new T500 (similar to your but 3.06 GHz processor) and here's my recommendation to install a clean x86 or x64 system.

1) Boot Windows 7 Setup disc. During Setup, when you get to the Drive Options dialog, clicked Advanced and delete all existing partitions. ( NOTE: If you delete the recovery partition, you will not be able to use the Lenovo Recovery process to restore your system to shipping condition.  I always delete it because I never want Lenovo's setup.)

2) When Setup completes, do not enable Windows Update yet. Leave it off.  Note that when you get to the dialog prompting for your name and machine name, I recommend to only enter your first name. That way, the home folder will be C:\Users\Firstname\   It's a nice and cleaner path than one with both names.

3) Install System Update 4.0. Install all Critical, Recommended and most Optional Updates

4) Reboot after all updates are installed. Now, re-run System Update 4 again to verify that everything is installed and nothing needs to be added post-install. Sometimes some features are only available on the second pass.

5) For x64 (and x86 I think), there are a few drivers not installed by System Update which are:

SwitchableGraphicsDriver - 7vd614ww

Active Protection (x64) - 6ask52ww

Bluetooth - 7zbv12ww

You can find these drivers on the standard Lenovo ThinkPad support site for your model.

6) Now, run Windows Update. Install most Critical Updates and check through the Optionals. (You can Hide the language updates for Ultimate.)

Now, you should have a Windows 7 system with all the key Lenovo drivers and critical Windows updates. You're now ready to install your applications and data.

I'm doing this from memory but I've done about 30 installs on T60 and T500's since beta Windows 7 and this process is very reliable and stable.

My first install on the T500 was x86 but I'm now switching to x64. I hope memory prices will drop soon for the 4 GB memory modules!

Options

110 Posts

10-26-2009

Los Angeles, CA

160 Signins

834 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2009-10-27, 4:50 AM

Gotcha. So after the Windows 7 clean install, it will allow me to reload all the Lenovo apps like ThinkVantage Productivity Center? Where do I find installers for them? In the Services drive (:S)? I'm assuming Windoows 7 isn't going to prompt me to reinstall Lenovo apps that came with the computer in its original condition...

Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-10-27, 9:20 AM

Hi:

System Update will install the Thinkvantage technologies (they will show up under "recommended" and "optional" Updates.  Ill do you one Better:

Option1:

-Run Lenovo Migration assistant to save your files and settings to any media you choose.

-run a clean install of Windows 7 (remember to erase all partitions)

-Once installed - download System Update 4.0 - download ALL updates available.  you may find yourself running this a few times, as some items need to be restarted before other updates are installed.

-After that, run Windows update, add all updates you want.

-Install all additional softwar you use (Office, etc).

-Download Migration assistant from lenovo.com, and run the migration assistant (this time, your updtated PC is the "new" pc.

You are done.  Please Note - "EE" Designation will not apply here.  you wont benefit from the "enhanced operations" of Brand New Lenovo's with Windows 7 Pre-installed.

Option B:

Find someone with "EE" rated Thinkpad, ask them to create Recovery disks for you.  You can then run the Disks on your PC, with all "enhancements" in Place.  Then you can run Windows update and System Update 4.0...

This is the easiest way to do it, but you will need to wait for people who are waiting for the new laptops to roll out.

Hope this helps.

Options

110 Posts

10-26-2009

Los Angeles, CA

160 Signins

834 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2009-10-27, 20:07 PM

Great. I just ordered an SSD for the T500 so it'll give me a fresh drive to work off of. Thanks for all the information. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms