Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 18

Relloading OS to a new, smaller drive

2012-09-22, 17:58 PM

I recently purchased a K430 and want to install the OS on an SSD - when I try to use the recovery disks, I get an error message saying that the disk is too small. This is no doubt because the ssd is 256gb and the original drive is 2tb, although only 30gb is being used. How can I install the OS on the new ssd? Lenovo support has been no help and I shouldn't have to go out an purchase win7. Dell provides an OS install disk - never had a problem before. why does lenovo make this so difficult?

Options

9581 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78277 Signins

2254000 Page Views

• Views: 2254000
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Relloading OS to a new, smaller drive

2012-09-22, 18:25 PM

Hello and welcome,

Sorry I don't know of a direct way to accomplish this. I've always either gone from smaller to larger, or done clean installs.

You can do the latter without purchasing Win 7 again, if that turns out to be the only option.  Download and burn  the Win 7 install  ISO that matches the COA on your machine (or put the contents on USB media).  You'll have to use the automated phone system when you try to activate the install, but it will work with your existing COA.

Google "notebook review legal windows 7 download"

You will have to manually install drivers and apps, some of which may only be on your existing HDD and not available for download from the Lenovo site.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

7462 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29480 Signins

1686838 Page Views

• Views: 1686838
  • Message 3 of 18

2012-09-22, 18:47 PM

really strange...

unless there's a major difference between K430 and X220 recovery disks and process.

my experience, FWIW.

i have an X220 which came with a 512gb Hitachi Travelstar (platter drive). i used the standard "create recovery disks" process to burn the disk set. i then pulled the oem Travelstar and stashed it for safe-keeping. next, i installed a Crucial m4 mSATA 256gb SSD and booted recovery disk #1. the recovery process proceeded without any incident and was complete to a working desktop in less than 30 minutes.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

9581 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78277 Signins

2254000 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2012-09-22, 19:03 PM

@sarbin wrote:

really strange...

unless there's a major difference between K430 and X220 recovery disks and process.

It may just be the difference between Think's Rescue and Recovery and Idea's OneKey Recovery.  Don't know...

, was the recovery media the "return to factory state" set, or a full backup of the machine after you configured it and installed stuff?  There's a chance that they behave differently.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

1233 Posts

09-12-2012

United States of America

2345 Signins

21262 Page Views

• Views: 21262
  • Message 5 of 18

2012-09-22, 19:37 PM

Do a full system image onto the larger drive, then restore it onto the smaller drive. You should be able to use something like Macrium Reflect.

You might have an issue no matter how you do it. The image is going to be expecting a certain harddrive as the primary drive, and it will not be there. It should be OK, but if you don't expect it, there will be a glitch.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2012-09-22, 20:39 PM

Thanks for everyone's rapid responses - was on the phone with Lenovo support for some time. They tried to assist and had me create a backup image and do a restore - same error as before (disk is too small). This seems to be the way they now distribute windows OEM, as an image vs. an install. This makes NO SENSE, as now you have to have a larger disk than you really need in order to perform a restore. I don't believe that Dell, HP, or anyone else does it this way. A 256GB SSD is more than large enough to handle OS and apps installs (I'm only installing the OS). AND, their only suggested solution is to send me a recovery disk themselves (which I beleive is basically what I created) or for me to buy a new copy of Windows...what ever happened to giving you an installation disk....?

Options

9581 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78277 Signins

2254000 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2012-09-22, 20:57 PM

Is the offered recovery set a "freebie"?  If they've offered a free set, I'd be inclined to give it a try.

I don't have experience with the Idea factory media, but over on the Think side, the factory media is a more-or-less generic installer, while the user-burned media is an image created during the factory install.

If support isn't donating that media, you might as well just download (or borrow) Microsoft media and activate it using your existing COA.  Free, but a bit of work.

Many of us prefer a clean install anyway...

Z.

Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2012-09-22, 22:11 PM

Thanks - I'm starting lose what little hair I have left....downloaded the win7sp1 file, made a bootable CD, and started the install on the new drive. It seemed to complete but then would not boot, saying that a file was missing and that I needed to boot again and repair. Started that again, and it didn't get very far. So, I quit, reformatted the drive and tried to start all over again, this time disconnecting the older dirve which has the OS installed. Figured I'd boot from the CD and try again - now, it says the boot manager is missing. Put the hard drive back on line, and now during the bios boot it shows 2 windows 7 options. fortunately, I selected the right one and it booted.....

At this point I'm going to wait to see what Lenovo sends me, while I research the boot manager issue.

I've done SSD upgrades on Dell's with absolutely no issue - why can't Lenovo make it simple???

Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2012-09-22, 22:34 PM

Sorry for all the updates on my saga - I've fixed the boot manager issue and am back to status quo. I'm going to try to reinstall again, but this time disconnect the existing hard drive with windows already loaded on it, as I have a suspicion during the many restarts the system does when doing an install, it either saw the existing OS or might have tried to boot into to it somehow and got very confused (as am I at this point). If I'm successful, then I'll need to insure that during the boot with the SSD going forward, the system doesn't still get confused when i connect the original drive back in.

Any further thoughts are appreciated! I'm taking a break (been at this all day....)

Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2012-09-27, 19:54 PM

Now I'm getting concerned....I rec'd the single DVD recovery disk from Lenovo. Put it in the drive, and it won't boot. Sometimes it says press any key to continue, sometime not, but in both cases is says it can't find the boot mgr (which I thought should be on the recovery disk). Thought it might be a bios issue, so I pulled the bios battery so the motherboard would revert back to it's factory state - no difference. The sequence does show the lenovo logo, but then it doesn't proceed. This feels like a CD/DVD ROM firmware issue, but there are no updates on the Lenovo website. Any suggestions?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms