Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: Relloading OS to a new, smaller drive

2012-09-27, 19:55 PM

Note: I also checked all connections - note that the CD/DVD drive does start to spin, and access, then just sits in idle mode

Options

1233 Posts

09-12-2012

United States of America

2345 Signins

21262 Page Views

• Views: 21262
  • Message 12 of 18

2012-09-27, 21:39 PM

Are you doing a hot boot to the DVD or a cold boot? Sometimes if you start the computer from a total shutdown it will work better. Nothing in memory to confuse the issue.

Also can you browse the contents of the disc on a different computer?

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Options

8 Posts

09-22-2012

boston, ma

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 13 of 18

2012-09-27, 22:10 PM

thanks for suggestion - was doing a cold boot. I FINALLY got it to work - I was able to get into the bios after numerous tries and then removed the new, empty drive from the boot sequence entirely, only allowing it to boot frm the DVD. then restarted and kept pressing in F12 and voila! Am currently updating win 7, but everything seems to be fine.

The next issue is trying to load the drivers from the CD that comes with the machine - when I try to run setup, it generates an application error (and the drivers that come with win7 won't work on the network card) - so plan B is to download the drivers one by one from Lenovo's website and install - was successful with the network card driver install (by loading onto a USB from another computer and installing from there), now will update the rest.

I have to say that I've NEVER experienced such poor software configuration/issues with any other computer I've owned - I'm certainly not an expert but am not a novice either - I've replaced HD's with SSD's, added memory, installed OS's, etc. and never ahd a problem with either HP or Dell. This is my first experience with Lenovo (I did have IBM/Thinkpad's in the past and they were great!), and I'm not impressed - their technical support also leaves much to be desired, although Dell has run hot and cold in this area for some time. Not sure I would buy another Lenovo product....

Options

1233 Posts

09-12-2012

United States of America

2345 Signins

21262 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2012-09-27, 23:12 PM

Problem is that most tech support that you receive from any company is for preconfigured systems only. You have changed the configuration so your system no longer falls into their troubleshooting tree's.

While it is not convenient to those of us who customize our systems as soon as they are pulled from the box, it is also understandable. There are just so many ways you can customize a computer it would be impossible to create troubleshooting tree's for them all.

This is one reason why Apple used to have such tight control on their hardware and what will work with it. That way they could troubleshoot whatever will work in their system.

If you purchase a new system from Dell and do the same thing, you will find similar issues with them now. It seems like none of the manufacturers are sending Windows install media with their systems anymore. I am not sure why.

Hoov
SpywareHammer.com
Options

74 Posts

03-12-2012

San Jose, CA

132 Signins

911 Page Views

• Views: 911
  • Message 15 of 18

2012-10-04, 13:27 PM

Hi, sorry if I'm asking an incorrect question,  but why not just clone the old drive onto the new one and then swap the new one in? Any cloning sw lets you adjust your partition sizes, I'm sure... I replaced my hdd with an ssd and first cloned the (larger) hdd onto the smaller ssd using EaseUS Todo (free). Then swapped it in and I was up and running. Did you absolutely need a fresh OS install from a disk? Cheers!

Options

1233 Posts

09-12-2012

United States of America

2345 Signins

21262 Page Views

• Message 16 of 18

2012-10-04, 13:38 PM

One thing that doing an install of the OS instead of a cloning, is that you get to install only the OS.

While the one Lenovo computer I have actually had in front of me had very little on it besides the OS, I would still have formatted and installed it had it been my computer. Some of us get awfully attached to our own software picks, and we don't want to change. If you clone the drive and then uninstall all the extra stuff that comes with a preconfigured system, you still end up with files, folders and registry entries that do not belong to windows.  A clean install of Windows is just that. It is clean, and allows you to run all the updates and then install all of your software into your pristine updated OS.

Hoov
SpywareHammer.com
Options

74 Posts

03-12-2012

San Jose, CA

132 Signins

911 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2012-10-04, 14:25 PM

Got it.... thx. I'd be interested to know how you get around to finally achieving this 'clean' move to the smaller ssd. Cheers!

Options

74 Posts

03-12-2012

San Jose, CA

132 Signins

911 Page Views

• Message 18 of 18

2012-10-04, 14:44 PM
Sorry, I just remembered what I did recently and thought it might help. After cloning to a smaller ssd and installing it, I made a USB recovery stick using the ThinkVantage interface - this put the boot media and data media on it. So now I can potentially re-install the OS from this stick in a clean fashion, automatically wiping out everything originally on the ssd, correct? Then I can reinstall all my favorite programs. Won't this work for your case (making a new recovery disk or USB stick from the cloned SSD, then re-installing the OS)? Please forgive if I'm wrong again... I'm just fascinated by this problem for some reason...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms