Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemWindows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

37 Posts

10-24-2009

Los Angeles, CA

17 Signins

464 Page Views

• Views: 464
  • Message 1 of 26

Strong Need: Windows 7 Discs for Vista ThinkPads 2007-2009 (Recovery & Install Discs)

2009-10-24, 6:36 AM

Dear Lenovo Technical and Customer Support

I bought a Top-of-the-Line T61 Thinkpad in mid-2007 for $2,380 with Vista Professional (6465CTO)  This machine was so perpetually slow due to Windows Vista that I gave up on it.  That is a very expensive machine I bought from you and which I gave up on, and I was very disappointed with this ThinkPad purchase.

I have just checked and it has all the bells and whistles on it to run Windows 7, even in VM mode for XP.  After all, it is only 2 years old.  That is very exciting news for me, to be able to use my expensive machine with Windows 7 as I thought I would when I bought it (with Vista....)

One major problem - Lenovo is not yet offering for sale the Recovery & Install Discs for Windows 7 for my T61 machine.

You previously offered XP Recovery & Install Discs for sale for Windows Vista purchasers, so please now make Windows 7 Recovery & Install Discs for sale for us at a reasonable price as soon as possible.  I want the benefits of Windows 7, I have a very good ThinkPad machine, and do not want to purchase regular MS Windows 7 discs and lose all the ThinkPad functionality. 

Having spent $2,380 on a Lenovo ThinkPad with Windows Vista and had that totally poor quality experience, I feel I deserve to be able to take advantage of Windows 7 on my high-end ThinkPad $2,380 machine using a Lenovo Windows 7 Install as soon as possible.

Therefore, PLEASE MAKE WINDOWS 7 RECOVERY & INSTALL DISCS AVAILABLE FOR SALE FOR T61's and other recently sold Vista machines (mine is only 2 years old!!) at a reasonable cost.

Please can you supply us with a date (soon please) for this availability of these Recovery & Install Discs.

Best regards,

John Chamberlain

Los Angeles

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 2 of 26

Re: Strong Need: Windows 7 Discs for Vista ThinkPads 2007-2009 (Recovery & Install Discs)

2009-10-24, 6:44 AM

A definitive answer to your question has already be posted here .....  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Launch/Windows-7-on-T61/m-p/167599#U167599

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 3 of 26

Re: Strong Need: Windows 7 Recovery & Install Discs for Vista ThinkPads 2007-2009

2009-10-24, 6:53 AM

Well, first of all, this is a peer-to-peer support forum, and has nothing to do with Lenovo's official technical and customer support...

FYI, Lenovo doesn't provide "installation" disks...that's what MS does.

Recovery disks are only available for the OS that originally shipped with one's machine, which would be Vista in case of your T61.

Otherwise, people would be running all types of operating systems on hardware that wouldn't be able to support them...

Being that T61/p was discontinued way before official introduction of W7, I doubt that you'll ever see Lenovo offering these disks to anyone.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

37 Posts

10-24-2009

Los Angeles, CA

17 Signins

464 Page Views

• Views: 464
  • Message 4 of 26

Re: Strong Need: Windows 7 Discs for Vista ThinkPads 2007-2009 (Recovery & Install Discs)

2009-10-24, 7:13 AM

Thanks Bill

However, as you know policies are flexible and can vary with demand.  While the XP "backwards" upgrade was not available for some time for T61 and other Vista machines, it did become available after pressure from customers and the field, at the reasonable cost of about $50.

With so many users having spent so much money on well engineered T61's and similar who were let down by the terrible software so with the machines was a travesty.

Lenovo customers who felt let down by these experiences should now be allowed to use their machines properly for the very first time with now Windows 7,  and whose hardware is clearly very capable of running it.  However, we need the Lenovo/ThinkPad functionality, since that is why we purchased a Thinkpad along with their warranties and service, and we did not buy a Dell or a Toshiba.

John Chamberlain

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 5 of 26

Re: Strong Need: Windows 7 Recovery & Install Discs for Vista ThinkPads 2007-2009

2009-10-24, 8:38 AM

No laptop companies offer sales of upgrade discs on Vista licenses prior to June 30, 2009, it is the term dictated by Microsoft and has nothing to do with Lenovo.

Also, the downgrade discs supplied with Thinkpad for Vista, are allowed by Microsoft in their license terms, otherwise Lenovo couldn't offer it to you in the first place.

As per Microsoft license agreement, only new laptop machines sold after June 30, 2009 with Vista are allowed the upgrade to Win 7. If you feel that is not fair or anything, you should enquire with Microsoft.

So your current options is to go aftermarket. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 6 of 26

2009-10-24, 13:13 PM

wrote:

However, as you know policies are flexible and can vary with demand.

You need to complain to Microsoft, who set the licencing condition for Windows.  Lenovo is bound by Microsoft's licencing conditions, as are all the other laptop vendors.

wrote:

While the XP "backwards" upgrade was not available for some time for T61 and other Vista machines, it did become available after pressure from customers and the field, at the reasonable cost of about $50.

Only because Microsoft varied the licencing across the board for a couple of specific version of Vista to include an XP downgrade licence.  It was not something that Lenovo had any discertionary choiceto offer independently.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

7 Posts

10-24-2009

India

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 7 of 26

2009-10-24, 13:17 PM

Hello:

I have been a Thinkpad owner for 10+ years and currently own a t61p (bought Jan 2008) and plan on continuing with Thinkpads in the future.

Due to the ruckus over Vista, a lot of us chose XP or Vista with XP downgrade (which was the same cost as XP). My choice of XP, and not the XP downgrade, was driven by my understanding that Lenovo's support is limited to the OS installed on the HDD. So, if one chooses Vista with XP downgrade and installs XP, then Lenovo doesn't suppport the system.

With the release of Windows 7, most of us have to choose between remaning with XP or migrating to Windows 7 without Lenovo's modifications. This means one either sticks to a decade old XP with Lenovo's support or moves to Windows 7 without Lenovo's support and mods.

There are two main reasons that drive my (and most of the other owners) choice.

1. hardware

2. software--this includes Lenovo's modifications of the OS.

Summary: Thinkpad users will not benefit from the softwareaspect of their choice of Thinkpad.

Suggestions:

The current issue with XP/Vista/Windows 7 is not our making. So we, the customers, should not be penalised for this mess.

Lenovo can and should solve this problem by offering full support for an upgrade to Windows 7, at a fair price, to recent models of Thinkpad irrespective of whether it was bought with XP or XP downgrade.

Best

Options

68 Posts

11-27-2007

Morrisville, NC

99 Signins

1025 Page Views

• Views: 1025
  • Message 8 of 26

2009-10-24, 13:31 PM

John, since you cross posted on my blog too, I'll put my response here as well.

I don't think we even made a preload for T61 and older systems.  It's one thing to provide drivers.  It's another thing to go through and create a full blown preload which costs in time and money to do all of the testing necessary.  It wouldn't make sense to make a preload for a system we no longer sell.

-------
Matt Kohut
Lenovo Product Marketing
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 9 of 26

2009-10-24, 13:38 PM

anga, welcome to the forum,

You will need to take this up with Microsoft. Lenovo was able to offer the "Anytime Upgrade" from XP to Vista at the time because Microsoft allowed it. Soon afterwards Lenovo was able to offer downgrades from Vista to XP because Microsoft allowed it.

As it stands at the moment has been stated by Matt Kohut in this thread and also by Confederate in this thread.

"Lenovo will NOT be providing nor creating Recovery media with Windows 7 for older and  / or non win 7 preloaded machines. This would be a violation of the volume license agreement with Microsoft."

I'm sorry, but this is how things stand.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

7 Posts

10-24-2009

India

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 10 of 26

2009-10-24, 14:17 PM

Andy:

Thank you for the welcome.

Are you speaking on behalf of Lenovo?

Any license is a joint agreement between Microsoft and Lenovo (and other manufacturers) and indirectly the customers. So, it is not reasonable to assign all the responsibility to Microsoft.

The Vista to XP downgrade and XP to Vista upgrade was a result of customer demand on the OEMs and Microsoft.

This is Lenovo's forum and hence we ask Lenovo and we ask Microsoft on other forums. Asking us "to take this up with Microsoft" is not a reasonable response. Does this imply that Lenovo is willing to support older models but for Microsoft?

It is up to Lenovo to decide whether our voices warrant their involvement. We can only hope Lenovo does!!

Best

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms